What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Lol, I was just trying to help you out! I noticed you had some of the post 2018 GSBs so I thought I would send some of the older stock! Its all in the name of science!! 🤣

I might also be looking for an Arch-Bishop title too!!
🤣🤣 all in the name of science. Yeah am i really supposed to belive that.
yeah right whatever GIF

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Ahead of tonight's shave, I wanted to throw this out there

IMG_4360.jpeg

The one on the left is from my personal stash, that's the new logo. According to some work done by Helicopter, these might already be 3 years old! The one on the right is the older one and there is nothing wrong with that unlike some of the other Dorci with the older logo, these ones are still going to be good. The thing that I am not sure about is if they are going to be different, I just recently used up my tucks of these older ones and haven't tried the newer ones. I might end up using one of each this week, but that would involve some razor disciple that I may not have.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
A nearly perfect shave to start things off! :w00t:

Shave score: 94
Nearly identical results to a Bic Astor on the third shave without feeling like I am going to get bit at any moment

These test sharper than one would think by feel and results, but I don't care because it's such a comfortable shave. I suspect that the edge isn't as finely finished as more expensive blades, can't come up with a better explanation. I may have more notes in my journal as the week progresses.

Date02.09.2024
366 daily shaves
247/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Dorco Titan (31)Mühle Rocca ST
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (20)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

EffectivenessFacial Impact Score
FIS
8.25/10
(DFS++)
9/10
(Butterysmooth)

Notes:

The razor is definitely in my top 5 of best performing razors.

Click here for today’s notes.

Enjoy your shave today!

Evening Shave - 09/01/24
Razor:
Merkur 41C + Vanta RA111
Blade: Dorco Titan (1)
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Jeris Osage Rub
Shave Comfort: 10/10 (Smooth)
Shave Quality: 9/10 (DFS+)
Shave Rating: 9.5/10
Exceedingly comfortable shave with this fresh blade. It was very sharp and even if this mild razor it did very well. It gave me a nice close shave.

It has begun! My first shavette shave and my first shave of @Balin's blade bonanza. First blade up is the Dorco Titan which I have used before and I remember it being an excellent blade and this shave was just fantastic. I also loaded a second Dorco Titan in the Vanta shavette so I can use both. The goal is to start out with the shavette with a partial pass that will probably increase as my skill level with it gets better and then take over with the DE and finish the remaining pass and passes.

It went surprisingly well with the shavette. The hardest part is to figure out how to hold it. I did use both hands and I carefully shaved both cheeks and a little bit down on my neck WTG. All went well and yes it was not the closest WTG pass, but I was happy. The Vanta I would say is a great starter shavette due to that it has covered blade ends. It did not feel any more dangerous than a regular DE. I will continue to start off with the shavette as often as I can and over time increase the area until I can do a full pass and then venture into an addition pass. I am sure it will take me a good number of shaves to get there, but I am not in any hurry.

The Merkur 41C performed really well with the Dorco Titan. I was kind of surprised at the quality shave that I ended up with. It was really smooth and quite frankly quite close. Even this morning it is still very nice. No complaints regarding this. A great start to what I think will be a great blade and will probably be one of the top blades among the blades in the blade bonanza.

Dorco Titan - blade 1, shave 1

Beginning the @Balin Blade Bonanza! Thank you, @Balin!! The blades from you are now back in Mass at least. I had my first ever shave with a Dorco Titan. I put it in my Blackland Osprey, taking from @cranewarrior's advice to use an adjustable to dial in to each blade.

IMG_4210.jpeg

I did a couple strokes with the Osprey at 3 and realized that this is not an ultra sharp blade, so I bumped the Osprey to 4 for the rest of the shave. So far it doesn't feel nearly as sharp as my normal Perma-Sharp and Nacet blades. It was sharp enough to cut though. I haven't shaved with a blade like this in a while. It, coupled with my technique, left a few rough patches and random whiskers, but some areas of BBS. I'll have to figure out how to maximize for it.

Last edited:
Shave 1 with the Dorco Titan
1000006911.jpg

I had a comfortable DFS shave today. I chose to use my WR2 1.15 OC because it is fussier with blade choice. The Titan felt comfortable in this razor. I almost got a BBS but the lower neck area has some ATG whisker feel. I found the blade generally comfortable and the alum and aftershave feedback was pretty low. ATG under my chin was not quite as smooth as I like but there was no irritation. I did slow down a little for that part though. I will give it another go tomorrow to see if it sharpened up after the first shave.

For the Blade Bonanza process I think I might only use a blade twice and rotate through my 3 Wolfman razors that I use the most. I will add a Tech or SuperSpeed shave for the 7th shave of the week.

Top Bottom