What's new

A Timeless Summer - A Comparative Assessment of Timeless Razors

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My little Timeless Collection:

Left to Right:
1. 0.68OC: bronze scalloped cap, titanium base plate, Ti Crown handle, bronze stand
2. 0.38SB: bronze scalloped top and base plate, bronze Wolfman Darwin handle, WRA2 bronze stand
3. SlimSB: bronze scalloped cap, Ti base plate, Ti Crown handle, bronze stand
4. 0.68OC: titanium scalloped cap, Stainless Steel base plate, Ti Crown handle and titanium stand

Thanks again to Mark for suggesting mixing in some bronze caps and stands

RS_Timeless Collection.jpg

My little Timeless Collection:

Left to Right:
1. 0.68OC: bronze scalloped cap, titanium base plate, Ti Crown handle, bronze stand
2. 0.38SB: bronze scalloped top and base plate, bronze Wolfman Darwin handle, WRA2 bronze stand
3. SlimSB: bronze scalloped cap, Ti base plate, Ti Crown handle, bronze stand
4. 0.68OC: titanium scalloped cap, Stainless Steel base plate, Ti Crown handle and titanium stand

Thanks again to Mark for suggesting mixing in some bronze caps and stands

View attachment 1872580
Beautiful collection, Kim.

Glad you have found this helpful! Out of curiosity, which is your one favorite razor? I have had no issues with the OC 68. I liked it so much, I bought one in Stainless (with Ti crown handle and Ti top cap) to use as my travel razor. I also really like the GSBs in both the 68 and the 95. Did not try them in the Slim (yet)

I would note that once the edge of the Feather has been dulled by a few minutes of use, the overall aggression was not bad on a scale of 0-100, with 100 being way too aggressive, I'd give the OC Slim with a day 2 feather about a 65. No bumps or redness, but a bit of "dang!" when the cologne hits the face

as of now the timeless .68 SB but the wolfman I think was a better razor so will get another wolfman soon :)

I have had the timeless .68 with all 3 plates and keep the SB only because I was going for one razor ;)
(again have to sell my matte finish .68 scallop in Ti) my others are all polished and I do like the polished Ti the most for feel on the face

outside the timeless family the Wolfman razor was a touch better I feel just more efficient and a touch more comfy for how efficient it was I had a .95 and 1.15 and the 1.15 was to much for daily but was fun efficiency :)
the .95 was very good but a few times wanted a break from it if I had a bad day shaving every day 3 pass that I enjoy

so kinda thinking a .85/1.05 dual could be an amazing wolfman razor or a .75/.95 might be also be great just have to think do I want something super safe or something that can give me a touch more not sure yet :) and in some ways me loving the .68 Timeless as much as I do the .75/.95 Wolfman might be the ultimate (for me) mild razor

the only other razor I want to try is the Tatara Adjustable

hahahah that DANG when the cologne hits the face is something I do not like and trying to make it so I get as little or NONE of that which the Timeless .68 SB does better than the .68 OC so while the shaving felt about the same it was that sleight more feedback that made me decide to just use the SB

also that feedback is why I switched to Tiger face tonic (witch hazel based) and love the stuff and almost done with my last SV aftershave :) and won't be buying any alcohol based AS anymore

I truly want no irritation of the skin at all as that is what that feedback we get is of course so its more a "thing" I am trying to achieve and making it happen so far

had quite a few other razors but for me the timeless and wolfman were/are well worth the cost over the others I tried

as of now the timeless .68 SB but the wolfman I think was a better razor so will get another wolfman soon :)

I have had the timeless .68 with all 3 plates and keep the SB only because I was going for one razor ;)
(again have to sell my matte finish .68 scallop in Ti) my others are all polished and I do like the polished Ti the most for feel on the face

outside the timeless family the Wolfman razor was a touch better I feel just more efficient and a touch more comfy for how efficient it was I had a .95 and 1.15 and the 1.15 was to much for daily but was fun efficiency :)
the .95 was very good but a few times wanted a break from it if I had a bad day shaving every day 3 pass that I enjoy

so kinda thinking a .85/1.05 dual could be an amazing wolfman razor or a .75/.95 might be also be great just have to think do I want something super safe or something that can give me a touch more not sure yet :) and in some ways me loving the .68 Timeless as much as I do the .75/.95 Wolfman might be the ultimate (for me) mild razor

the only other razor I want to try is the Tatara Adjustable

hahahah that DANG when the cologne hits the face is something I do not like and trying to make it so I get as little or NONE of that which the Timeless .68 SB does better than the .68 OC so while the shaving felt about the same it was that sleight more feedback that made me decide to just use the SB

also that feedback is why I switched to Tiger face tonic (witch hazel based) and love the stuff and almost done with my last SV aftershave :) and won't be buying any alcohol based AS anymore

I truly want no irritation of the skin at all as that is what that feedback we get is of course so its more a "thing" I am trying to achieve and making it happen so far

had quite a few other razors but for me the timeless and wolfman were/are well worth the cost over the others I tried
Have not put myself on the Wolfman waiting list. I may, someday, but I keep thinking there are better things to spend the money on...A Ti Lambda Athena, a Lambda Ares, a polished Bronze La Faulx...those are on my "covet" list.

Have not put myself on the Wolfman waiting list. I may, someday, but I keep thinking there are better things to spend the money on...A Ti Lambda Athena, a Lambda Ares, a polished Bronze La Faulx...those are on my "covet" list.

some of those are cool should be more active and get on pass around lists :)

for me I LOVE shaving LOVE the history but I also am just wanting that ultimate shaving tool that I LOVE and has to have something that draws me to it of course as I am sure we all LOVE our gear for whatever reasons we do :)
hard to put in words what I am trying to say :)

unique is fun so can see those being cool like anything in life we get into the hole is deep and MUCH wider than you ever realized and so so many options for us into shaving to have something unique and can see what you are saying :)

I never know what will happen in life but keep thinking retiring to Portugal or Italy one day just to do so for a while (but youngest is just 15 needs to get through college first)
so sometimes the Tatara would be fun for that Portugal connection or some of the Italian products I use for that connection of when I was there before

I do like the Wolfman also as my wife is Canadian so that is also one of those unique things for me that connection so that is also why its on my short list
(just sharing thoughts for fun)

some of those are cool should be more active and get on pass around lists :)

for me I LOVE shaving LOVE the history but I also am just wanting that ultimate shaving tool that I LOVE and has to have something that draws me to it of course as I am sure we all LOVE our gear for whatever reasons we do :)
hard to put in words what I am trying to say :)

unique is fun so can see those being cool like anything in life we get into the hole is deep and MUCH wider than you ever realized and so so many options for us into shaving to have something unique and can see what you are saying :)

I never know what will happen in life but keep thinking retiring to Portugal or Italy one day just to do so for a while (but youngest is just 15 needs to get through college first)
so sometimes the Tatara would be fun for that Portugal connection or some of the Italian products I use for that connection of when I was there before

I do like the Wolfman also as my wife is Canadian so that is also one of those unique things for me that connection so that is also why its on my short list
(just sharing thoughts for fun)
So many toys, so little time...

I’m going to start my Ti Slim SB with the bronze scalloped cap, as you recommended, Mark, with a Wizamet to give myself a little leeway. I’m not sure this is a wise move, but I’ll let you know.
How was the Wizamet in the SB Slim? I'm debating between the Lab Blues and the Wizamets for the last round of Slim testing.

After this last shave, following three days without shaving, both razors performed almost identically. They both handled the course stubble with aplomb and with only a bit of feedback on the alum after the shave.

After two weeks of testing, this evaluation is complete. Here is a summary of my approach and findings:

Approach
  • Leverage a number of different blades to evaluate the versatility of each razor across moderate to sharp blades, with different widths
  • Swap blades between razors so that differences in findings driven by blade differential would be cancelled out
  • Shave each side of the face with each razor to rule out issues related to either me being right-handed or based on differential growth between the two sides of my face
  • Evaluate shaves of various durations
  • Evaluate the effect of extended beard growth on performance
  • Reduce the impact of externalities on testing (Pre-shave routing, soap, brush, water temperature, post-shave routine)
Findings
  • Balance: Both razors were almost identical as they used the same Ti handles and Brass caps. The base plates were both Ti. The balance point was almost exactly at the narrowest point of the crown handle. Outstanding balance: 10/10
  • Fit and Finish:
    • Polished caps (bronze and Ti, scalloped): 10/10
    • Matte cap (stainless): 8/10 (The matte finish on this had a bit of a pebbled quality I did not love - cosmetically. It performed as well as the bronze).
    • Handle (Ti crown) weight: 10
    • Handle (Ti crown) finish: 9 (These are some of the best Ti handles out there and are a bargain relative to some of the other artisan razor companies)
    • Stands (Polished finish): 9
    • Stands (Matte finish): 8
    • 95 SC base plate fit and finish: 9
    • 68 OC base plate: 10 (higher score driven by the added complexity of the comb)
    • 95 SC blade clamping: 9 (less than the 68 due to minor chatter with the Kai blade)
    • 68 OC blade clamping: 10
  • Composite score: Both razors performed so closely, the composite score does not indicate "which is better". Though the OC 68 scored 4 points higher than the SC 95, the differential was slim. The 68 scored a 1000/1100, the 95, 996/1100. Which is ultimately "better" depends on the use case:
    • "I need a quick shave": While both did an excellent job, the wider gapped 95 was more forgiving of changes in angles. In the context of a quick shave performed on the run with less attention to technique, you might find this gives a somewhat closer shave, though perhaps a bit less smooth
    • "I haven't shaved in days": Both razors performed equally well. There was no distinctive advantage between one and the other.
    • "I like wider blades, like the Kai": There was noticeable tugging on the SC95 that was not present with the OC68. This held true even after swapping blades between razors. If you are a fan of Kai blades, stick with the OC68
    • "I want a luxurious shave and I am competent with a DE razor": The OC 68 gets the win here. That razor is light, smooth, well balanced and feels great
Other Observations
  • Vendor Support: Support from Timeless is excellent. They are responsive and are happy to help you work through questions. Their return policy makes it possible to try before you commit. Finally, they usually have a great selection of "scratch and dent" component, that are typically neither dented nor scratched, but often returned items that have been returned, cleaned and re-sold. Great doing business with Timeless
  • Mix and match: One of the unique value propositions from Timeless is the ability to mix and match components without taking a significant pricing hit for doing so. I tend to like a somewhat head-heavy razor, but only slightly so. Being able to customize your razor relative to metal choices, finishes, gap, etc. has made assembling a fit-to-order razor a snap.
  • Comparison to other razors: I did not compare either of these razors to other competing artisan razors. I will likely do so later this summer against the Athena, Blackbird Lite and Henson Medium

Next up: The Timeless Ti OC Slim and Ti SB Slim.

View attachment 1870078
Fantastic analysis. Thank you!

Sidebar: OC Slim vs OC Blackbird

Noting the small gap, positive blade exposure and narrow cap of the OC Slim, I wanted to give it a test drive against one of the wet shave standard bearers, the Blackbird OC. Both razors are Ti, though the Blackbird has the matte finish. They both felt light and nimble in the hand and both had no issues getting into tight places. I like the reduced exposure of the side of the blade in the TiBird relative to the Timeless.

General Observations:
  • Both have a good bit of blade feel, though the Blackbird has more.
  • The Blackbird was more efficient than the Slim on the first pass
  • Both razors were similarly effective on the second pass
  • By the end of the shave, both razors had knocked down almost all of the stubble, though the Blackbird needed less time to get it there. I used the extra 20 seconds with the Blackbird for a bit of fine touchup, yielding a slightly closer shave
  • Despite the extra blade feel, the Blackbird was less aggressive on my skin. At the end of the shave, the alum block provided feedback on both sides, but the left side (where I used the Slim) was a bit tender and the Alum sting was a bit more than I would have liked.
1720179190657.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
How was the Wizamet in the SB Slim? I'm debating between the Lab Blues and the Wizamets for the last round of Slim testing.
The Wizamet in the Slim struggled with the 7 days growth and the Perma-Sharp in the 0.68OC didn’t, so I switched to the Perma-Sharp after a few strokes on my right side. I’ve only had that one shave with the SlimSB, but after the halting start, it provided a very nice shave. I’m probably going to do a full shave with the Ti hybrid SlikSB next, hopefully tonight after work. I’ll give you an update then.

I did use a Wisamet for half a shave this last Wednesday in one of my 0.68OCs and it did very well. I don’t quite know what to think at this point. Until I get to know the Slim a bit better, I think I’ll stick with the Perma-Sharps.

Interesting. I find the Wizamets do really well in my Blackbirds (small gap but positive exposure, like the Slim in those ways), but never did a full week test. Noting that Shane and Jeremiah both advocate for the Lab Blues, I'll do the next round with them in the OC Slim to SB Slim and SB Slim to SB Blackbird tests

Interesting. I find the Wizamets do really well in my Blackbirds (small gap but positive exposure, like the Slim in those ways), but never did a full week test. Noting that Shane and Jeremiah both advocate for the Lab Blues, I'll do the next round with them in the OC Slim to SB Slim and SB Slim to SB Blackbird tests
DUDE. the wizzes on my blackbirn Ti is just so stupid good. It's a fantastic head and face shaver. a match made in shaving heaven. I wish all blackbirds get shipped with the Wiz.

DUDE. the wizzes on my blackbirn Ti is just so stupid good. It's a fantastic head and face shaver. a match made in shaving heaven. I wish all blackbirds get shipped with the Wiz.
The next couple of Shaves will be with Wizamets in the OC Slim and OC Blackbird...then Wizamets in the OC Slim and SB Slim, then on to the Lab Blues testing.

Noting that both Feather blades already had almost 12 minutes of use on them going into today's shave, both the OC Slim and the OC Blackbird were a bit smoother than yesterday. I would note that my favorite blade to-date with the Blackbird is the Wizamet, and that both are small gap razors with a good bit of exposure. Accordingly, I'll be testing both razors with the Wizamet next.

I have the sneaky suspicion that the relative aggression of the OC Slim vs the SB Slim may be related to blade choice. While the SB Slim seems to do really well with a sharp and smooth blade (like the Perma Sharp), blades that sharp may not be the best choice for the OC Slim. After checking out both the Timeless and Blackbird OC razors with the Wizamet, I'm going to go back and test the SB and OC Slims side-by-side with this smooth, less aggressive blade. With that done, I'll continue my testing with the Personna Lab Blue.

1720290810308.png

Top Bottom