June 2024 GRUME 17/30
Shave Date 6/18/2024
Razor:
1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO
Blade: Kai (1)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil
Soap: RE Heritage (32)
Brush: WCS Burlwood Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Black Shroud A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I continued the XTG, ATG and one touch-up per side routine I started yesterday, with a new Kai blade. The results were fantastic, although I did notice a pin head amount of blood on the second lathering, which disappeared with the cleanup pass and is gone now. The alum block feedback was minimal, but the after shave sure got my attention this morning. I all but eliminated the problem fur patch on the right side, and the swirl from hades on the left jaw joint area is just about gone as well. All in all a great shave this morning.

And as a bonus I broke through to the bottom of the tub and can see some light shining through. A pic of the tub

IMG_3301.jpeg

'Tis all for today, keep the faith, have a blessed day, and as always, may all your shaves be fantastic.

IMG_3300.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 159 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 17/30
Shave Date 6/18/2024
Razor:
1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Black Shroud A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I continued the XTG, ATG and one touch-up per side routine I started yesterday, with a new Kai blade. The results were fantastic, although I did notice a pin head amount of blood on the second lathering, which disappeared with the cleanup pass and is gone now. The alum block feedback was minimal, but the after shave sure got my attention this morning. I all but eliminated the problem fur patch on the right side, and the swirl from hades on the left jaw joint area is just about gone as well. All in all a great shave this morning.

And as a bonus I broke through to the bottom of the tub and can see some light shining through. A pic of the tub

View attachment 1864546

'Tis all for today, keep the faith, have a blessed day, and as always, may all your shaves be fantastic.

View attachment 1864547
You just put a song in my head "I saw the light". Not the worst song to get stuck in my head though.

300+ Shaves in 2024 160 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 18/30
Shave Date 6/19/2024
Razor:
1950s Rocket HD 500
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EDT
Rating: 28.75/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 28.75 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I'm continuing the same routine as the past two days, an XTG and ATG pass followed up by one touch-up pass per side. The results were about the same, BBS on the cheeks and darn near it on the neck, sea lions in the bay off the dock. I did feel the blade more today, and the alum feedback was quite a bit more than yesterday. A fantastic shave today. Pour Monsieur is the icing on top of the cake.

The tropical disturbance in the gulf is causing some rains and winds here, but nothing too bad and yes I rode the motorcycle today. Down south of us, Corpus Christi and lower, are going to get it worse than us. It is almost over for us now.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3307.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 161 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 19/30
Shave Date 6/20/2024
Razor:
1948 Super Speed
Blade: Kai (3)
Soap: RE Heritage (33)
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, PAA Vloid A/S
Rating: 28.75/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 28.75 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The third and final shave on the Kai proved to be a bit rougher than the previous two. For me, the Kai blades are only good for three shaves, and the third one is iffy, I made the right decision to bin them after 3 shaves, but on the bright side I only have 2 blades left and in 6 days I'll make Boris happy by reducing my open tucks by 1. The number of remaining open tucks will not be released to protect the innocent, and those with aversions to multiple open tucks. Most of my blades can go 5 shaves, this one is an exception to the rule. The scent of Vloid pairs nicely with the Heritage.

I can see more light at the bottom of the tub, not quite a ring developing, that will likely not be too many days away. Aaron (@Flanders) may have been a soap Nostradamus in his August prediction to the end of the tub. I have a good idea of the next tub to get the treatment. Barrister and Mann The Hallows, I'll use it throughout September and October. That one has a unique scent that remains to be seen if I can tolerate it for two months minus Sundays, as it is not a scent for service at mass.

Bright and sunny today, the day after the winds and rain. It was an enjoyable ride into work this morning on the Duke, a morning one could make many miles, but I just did about 5 heading to work. That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday and the best shaves.

IMG_3318.jpeg

Meet Milo. My friends dog, we are dog sitting while they are in Mexico for a vacation. They flew out yesterday from Houston and their resort is around Cancun. They saw both sides of the storm. Milo gets along with the dogs, he’s not to certain about the cats and prefers to hide in the closet under my clothes. He’s a good little fella.

IMG_3319.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 161 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 19/30
Shave Date 6/20/2024
Razor:
1948 Super Speed
Soap: RE Heritage (33)
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, PAA Vloid A/S

Notes:

The third and final shave on the Kai proved to be a bit rougher than the previous two. For me, the Kai blades are only good for three shaves, and the third one is iffy, I made the right decision to bin them after 3 shaves, but on the bright side I only have 2 blades left and in 6 days I'll make Boris happy by reducing my open tucks by 1. The number of remaining open tucks will not be released to protect the innocent, and those with aversions to multiple open tucks. Most of my blades can go 5 shaves, this one is an exception to the rule. The scent of Vloid pairs nicely with the Heritage.

I can see more light at the bottom of the tub, not quite a ring developing, that will likely not be too many days away. Aaron (@Flanders) may have been a soap Nostradamus in his August prediction to the end of the tub. I have a good idea of the next tub to get the treatment. Barrister and Mann The Hallows, I'll use it throughout September and October. That one has a unique scent that remains to be seen if I can tolerate it for two months minus Sundays, as it is not a scent for service at mass.

Bright and sunny today, the day after the winds and rain. It was an enjoyable ride into work this morning on the Duke, a morning one could make many miles, but I just did about 5 heading to work. That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday and the best shaves.

View attachment 1865542

Meet Milo. My friends dog, we are dog sitting while they are in Mexico for a vacation. They flew out yesterday from Houston and their resort is around Cancun. They saw both sides of the storm. Milo gets along with the dogs, he’s not to certain about the cats and prefers to hide in the closet under my clothes. He’s a good little fella.

View attachment 1865544
At least one open tuck gone, is one open tuck gone. Slow and steady does it. It took me almost 1.5 year to get rid of my open tucks.

Milo looks like an hors d'oeuvres compared to other dogs. Maybe hors devoured if not careful. I'm just not sure about dogs that small. Your moccasin is bigger than he is.
Yep. He’s the smallest of all the pets at the house. Even the smallest cat is bigger than he is. He’s not a dog to get for protection. He is a good little dog, hardly a peep is heard all day long. And he doesn’t take up too much room on the couch. I think he looks like the Gizmo the Gremlin. We haven’t feed him after midnight yet, but he was soaking wet while he got his bath before my friends brought him over.

300+ Shaves in 2024 162 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 10/30
Shave Date 6/21/2024
Razor:
1952 Flare Tip Super Speed
Soap: RE Heritage (34)
Brush: YZenith 507-BC Blue Cobolt
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Bootleggers Green Freeze

Notes:

Man oh man, what a difference a fresh blade makes, the fresh Kai delivered a fantastic shave, smooth, and comfortable and the sea lions were blubbering, tears in their eyes as the dolphins slashed the bay water in their faces. I did notice that yesterday the problem fur patch on my jawline was completely gone, but that came with a price of tenderness and quite a bit of aftershave sting. Today I was not as aggressive on the clean-up pass on the jawline, and a hint more fur is left, but I had much less sting from the alum block and the Green Freeze. The difference between shave number 3 and shave number 1 on a Kai is significant for me. I could feel the third shave was on the verge of being very harsh. Again further proof for me that 3 shaves are the max on a Kai at least for me.

Green Freeze is a Bootlegger's mixture with equal parts Osage Rub and Mennen Skin Bracer and gives an "invigorating" sensation in the morning.

The Zenith Badger widened the ring of despair this morning on the Heritage soap. I was heavy on the usage of my Boars during this journey to 3017 the Heritage Tub if only to reach that milestone quicker. I do realize I could make the soap last much longer if I wanted to, as I am washing much of the lather down the drain, but 3017ing a soap is the goal and I'll get there as quickly as possible without resorting to over the top measures, like running it under hot water, which would melt this croap in a heartbeat.

A humours Milo story, as mentioned he is highly protective of his bowl and will run to the bowl, stand over it and growl should another dog dare even look at his food bowl. All the dogs excitedly greet me when I get home from work, and sometimes a few cats as well. Yesterday I let the dogs outside when I got home, after a few Milo was ready to come in, so I let him in and proceeded to feed him while the other dogs were out. I fix his bowl of food and Domineaux sees it and decides to check it out. Did Milo stand over his bowl and defend it from the cat? Nope, once again Milo wanted nothing to do with the natural-born killer, and he backed off the bowl. I moved the cat away from the bowl, Milo started to eat again and Dom came to the bowl again. I ended up putting the cat in the bedroom so Milo could eat. Then I let the other two dogs in and Milo decides it's time to stand up to them and stands over his bowl and lets out a growl when Tristian, our Cocker Spaniel gets close. Tristian is 10 times the size of Milo, Domineaux may be twice the size, but Milo decided his chances were better with Tristian, likely a wise choice as Tristian is a gentle soul and the sweetest dog you'd ever meet.

Milo is brave enough to get out of the closet while I'm around. A cat war was going on and he wanted to check it out.

IMG_3322.jpeg

The weekend is upon us, work has been challenging, to say the least, but I am blessed. I wish all a blessed weekend and fantastic shaves.

IMG_3321.jpeg

Three'fer today, busy weekend and busy at work. But, I am blessed.

300+ Shaves in 2024 163 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 21/30
Shave Date 6/22/2024
Razor:
1957 Fat Handled Tech
Soap Martin De Candre Rose
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 28 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Saturday shave in the afternoon before service at the 5:30 vigil mass, therefore the Heritage took the day off and MdC got the call. It was a fantastic comfortable shave, the Tech and the MdC did the job well. I helped my lovely Bride with the landscaping, straightening up the landscaping bricks. Yes, that's what I wanted to do on one of my rare Saturday mornings off, yes I did, fun fun, fun. Haha, it was ok, although my back was a bit more noticeable at church than on most days. I survived that day just fine.

IMG_3327.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 164 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 22/30
Shave Date 6/24/2024
Razor:
1950 British Ball End Tech
Soap RE Heritage (35)
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Canoe EDT Splash
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 28 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Monday's shave was a great one on a Kai on it's last shave, none of the harshnesses that I felt before on the first shave with this blade, but I think I figured out why that was the case on Tuesday's shave. Anywho, it was a great shave close shave with no need to touch up on the right side, just one on the left side. I continued to do my XTG and ATG passes only with touch-ups if needed, one per side.

Not only did my lovely bride ask for assistance moving those freaking bricks, but she also invited a plethora of friends over Sunday and requested ribs. Sure sweetheart, I'd love to get up at 7 in the morning to prepare ribs and smoke them for company at 1 pm. Nah, I didn't look forward to sleeping in on an even more rare Sunday morning off. Glad to do it, grumble grumble. After the mass on Saturday evening, the Deacon asked me what I was doing for fun on Sunday. I told him about the assignment my wife gave me, he said "Hey, we both married over our heads, so suck it up and do it." Haha, I'm glad he has my back.

I nailed the ribs this time, on my Silverbac Pellet Smoker, smoker set for 225, then three hours in a rib rack(I had 3 slabs), followed by one hour wrapped in foil with a bit of apple juice, then 1 hour back on the smoker till done. Just the right amount of bite and pull away from the bone. I also made some bacon-wrapped, boudin stuffed Jalapenos, but those were too hot for most at the party, I got to enjoy them as well, chicken breast and chicken wings rounded out the menu. I ran out of boudin for the jalapenos I had, I called an audible and stuffed the remaining with some aged white cheddar cheese and cream cheese. All was well in the land.

IMG_3336.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 164 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 23/30
Shave Date 6/25/2024
Razor:
1950s Rocket HD 500
Soap RE Heritage (36)
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado

Notes:

A fresh Kai and I expected to achieve just as smooth a shave as I received on Saturday. Not so fast, with the first stroke, I certainly felt the blade more than Saturday. I was surprised as my Rocket HD is one of my best razors. Humm, then it hit me, the smooth shaves were all with my Techs, the Techs, at least for me, can tame the sharp Kai blade better than my Super Speed variants. This doesn't help me much with the Kai as I am on my last blade of the tuck, and I don't intend to stock up on them going forward. But it is good information going forward when I encounter a rough blade, I'll throw that puppy into one of my techs and see what I get.

A few pics of the tub, the ring of despair is getting bigger each day, at this rate it may not make it till August. Pics taken prior to today’s shave.
IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

'Tis all for today, may all your shaves be the best and days blessed.

IMG_3339.jpeg

One last pic of Milo, he is back home as of Sunday evening.

IMG_3334.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 165 of 300+
June 2024 GRUME 24/30
Shave Date 6/26/2024
Razor:
1952 US Ball End Tech
Soap RE Heritage (37)
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, British Sterling

Notes:

The US Ball End Tech did the trick with the Kai today and delivered a much smoother, more comfortable shave than the Rocket did yesterday. Yep, for myself, the Tech is better for the Kai. British Sterling brings back memories of my youth.

I was thinking today, would I go back to my youth if I could? Humm, that's a tough question, it all depends, frrr'instance, do I have time to research stock to buy and sell at particular points in time? Then what about the Ex?? I do have two wonderful children from my first marriage. Nahhh, it would be too messy to go back in time. Just put my nose to the grindstone and get with it doing the best in the life I have now. I'll just relive the past in a small way with the colognes that bring back the memories. Much better and cleaner that way.

'Tis all for a humpday, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3343.jpeg

The ring of despair grows.

IMG_3344.jpeg

At this rate, it might not make it to August.

Top Bottom