What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
And practice means more pizza.

:thumbup: WOOHOO, heck yeah! Time to have a pizza party! :thumbup:

Dance Party GIF by BuzzFeed Animation

Ohhhh, and you are very welcome, I appreciate what you do, and its fun to share our love of pizza, and expand that knowledge. I was actually really impressed, with how much your Philly Cheese Steak pizza matches my one from Dominos. Thats why I was like, dude, my Cajun friend is learning so fast, he took one look at my photo, and pretty much replicated it. Yep, lets try to bake that same pizza 1-minute less in the oven, then take a look at that crust, and if you nail it, its time to have a pizza victory dance! 😁

PS: Happy Anniversary​

300+ Shaves in 2024 225 of 300+
Shave Date 9/1/2024
Razor:
1957 Fat Bottomed Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum(3)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar
Soap: Martin De Candre Rose
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Neiva Cooling After Shave Balm,
Rating: 28.25/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers (1), 8.25 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+ neck.

Notes:

Whart is happening??? The Tiger is behaving thus far. Today was another great shave. So good that I’m giving the Tiger a 4th shave. I can hear @Balin and @lasta yelling “Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! Haha. But for real, it has been a good run thus far. And MdC Rose provided ample amounts of lather today with copious amounts squeezed out for the last pass. No aftershave as I had mass service today. All is great.

I made pizza today. I know that’s hard to believe, but I did. I used the second dough ball from Friday mornings mix. I did bump down the temps and took it out a minute earlier. The results are pretty good. This dough was on the verge of being over fermented. It was difficult to press out to the pan. But in the end it worked out. I added jalapeño and green olives this time. Pics below.

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3820.jpeg

I haven’t tasted it yet, I sat down after taking the pizza out to let it cool and this happened.

IMG_3824.jpeg

The lazy butt will be moved when the LSU game starts. College football is upon us. Although I still prefer college to the pros, with NIL it’s become a blurred line and not the same appeal as it was in years gone by.

Pic of todays participants:

IMG_3817.jpeg

I wish all a blessed Monday and Labor Day holiday. May all your shaves be the best.

Although I still prefer college to the pros, with NIL it’s become a blurred line and not the same appeal as it was in years gone by.
🚂 I’ve always been a big college football fan, but i haven’t been able to summon any excitement for this season. I suppose for the most part, the football players never really had much in common with other students, but now there’s no pretense: they’re football players first, college students a distant second. Then with NIL and all the transfers, it’s really hard to have an upstart program because the best players will just transfer to a bigger name school. And with 12 playoff spots now, and realignment killing the regional rivalries, I just can’t care about the regular season. If I’m going to watch a pro league, I might as well see if the Jags can turn the corner this year. Wake me up for the national title game. 🚂

(I’ve never sounded so old as I sound in the above paragraph. I’m going to shake my fist at the clouds now.)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

300+ Shaves in 2024 225 of 300+
Shave Date 9/1/2024
Razor:
1957 Fat Bottomed Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum(3)
Soap: Martin De Candre Rose
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Neiva Cooling After Shave Balm,
Rating: 28.25/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers (1), 8.25 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+ neck.

Notes:

Whart is happening??? The Tiger is behaving thus far. Today was another great shave. So good that I’m giving the Tiger a 4th shave. I can hear @Balin and @lasta yelling “Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! Haha. But for real, it has been a good run thus far. And MdC Rose provided ample amounts of lather today with copious amounts squeezed out for the last pass. No aftershave as I had mass service today. All is great.

I made pizza today. I know that’s hard to believe, but I did. I used the second dough ball from Friday mornings mix. I did bump down the temps and took it out a minute earlier. The results are pretty good. This dough was on the verge of being over fermented. It was difficult to press out to the pan. But in the end it worked out. I added jalapeño and green olives this time. Pics below.

View attachment 1904519

View attachment 1904520

View attachment 1904521
I haven’t tasted it yet, I sat down after taking the pizza out to let it cool and this happened.

View attachment 1904522

The lazy butt will be moved when the LSU game starts. College football is upon us. Although I still prefer college to the pros, with NIL it’s become a blurred line and not the same appeal as it was in years gone by.

Pic of todays participants:

View attachment 1904523
I wish all a blessed Monday and Labor Day holiday. May all your shaves be the best.

Heck yeah, that is what I am talking about! Not only did you have a lovely shave, because you are awesome, but you also baked perfection in the oven! Just look at that pizza, IMHO, you just secured perfection, because that pizza has been baked perfectly. Both the crust on top, and the crust on bottom, have been baked to the right consistency.

And despite the fact that, you were almost passed the fermentation point of no return, you managed to make it work nicely. Additionally, the toppings on the pizza look great, so you know what I am going to do next right? Yep, my SWCT signature move, reaches through the screen, just what I needed, thank ya! HEHE

300+ Shaves in 2024 226 of 300+
Shave Date 9/2/2024
Razor:
1950's US Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum(4)
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Oud
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Neiva Cooling After Shave Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado

Notes:

Welp, the Tiger finally acted like a Tiger and bit me, maybe it is disappointing me like my LSU Tigers did yesterday by losing the USC. Dunno, but it got binned today. It was not a bad shave by any stretch of the imagination, it was just a bit harsh, less harsh than the 5th shave on the Nacet blade I used previous to the Tiger, but harsh so it got binned. And TOBS Oud and El Dorado seem to be a match made in heaven, with very complimenting scents.

I talked with my mother yesterday, our normal Sunday catch-up on the things happening in the world. She'll be 89 in a few months and her mind is still there and her wit is as sharp as ever. She doesn't move as well as she used to, truth be told neither do I. We are blessed to have her and blessed she is in good shape. I was talking to her about my siblings and how I'm the only one of the three who cooks on a regular basis. My sister has been single all of her life, and she hardly cooks, if ever, but she eats like a bird and likely can make a meal last a week. My brother, also single for most of his adult life, eats out, or with mom. I remember from a young age wanting to cook my food. I wanted to boil my hotdogs but in her motherly wisdom, mom wouldn't let me deal with a gas burner, so she heated the water to boiling and turned off the burner, and I dropped my hotdog in the pot and watched it cook. I wasn't too satisfied with the results, but I ate it anyway. My teenage years and being allowed to use an open flame led to BBQ pits outside, I was a horrible cook at first, burning the food and using too much lighter fluid, hey, there was no internet for me to learnt from. After I was married I morphed into the chef for the Cajun family outings back home, mostly grilled foods, and I learned and got better. I also cooked the meat portion of the family outings in Texas while I was married, starting with Deep Fried Turkey, and then BBQ. Maybe I missed my calling and should have been a chef, or maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

Over the years I have tried numerous cooking methods and styles, and as time goes on it has become almost second nature to cook and create in the kitchen. There was one time, at my daughter's house when her in-laws were down. I stumbled on making a shrimp etouffee'ish dish. It wasn't the intention, but after I had sauteed the trinity of Cajun cooking, bell peppers, celery, and onions, I added flour to the mixture and ended up with a roux of sorts. Typically the roux is made first and then the trinity is thrown in to stop the roux from browning. I threw the shrimp in and it turned out quite well. So well I looked over to the inlaws as they took their first bite, they closed their eyes, put their hands on their chest and it seemed as though they were having a religious experience. Haha, they said that was the best they ever had, a thrown-together meal stumbled upon by accident meal, and they loved it. It's not like I was such a great chef it was more that I had the experience cooking and creating that it came out good. Once you get the knack of making roux without burning it, which does take some practice, then a new world of cajun cooking opens up, all you need is the trinity of cajun cooking on hand to halt the browning of the roux, sautee the trinity in the roux till the onions are clear, then some stock of sort, mostly chicken stock, sometime beef will work, and have at it. Potato stew is a simple cajun meal where once the roux and trinity are combined the onions cleared, you add stock to your desired thickness, add some cubed taters in there, a bay leaf or two, and if you have some thyme throw some in, then cover and simmer till the taters are breaking apart, add shrimp at that time cover pot till the shrimp cook through, only a few minutes. Serve over rice and call it a day. Dude, I'm getting hungry now and I didn't bring anything to work as we are closing at 2pm.

I don't mind at all coming home after a full day of work and creating something for dinner. I sorta look forward to it, it is a type of therapy for me. All the talk of pizza in Michael's (@tehnothing) journal has me going back to when I discovered how to make pizza and the journey I took. It isn't all that difficult, but hindsight is 20/20, while I think Pizza made at home is far superior to pizza ordered, I do understand how the effort may not be worth it to others who don't share my drive to cook and create new foods. I'm married and have a tighter budget than a single person, and that plays a role in it, but truth be known, without the drive to explore new foods and create them on your own, I'd likely order out also.

Now that I've made yall sufficiently hungry, I wish all a blessed Labor Day holiday, and as always, may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3825.jpeg

Shave Date 9/2/2024
Razor:
1950's US Ball End Tech
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Neiva Cooling After Shave Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado

Notes:

Welp, the Tiger finally acted like a Tiger and bit me, maybe it is disappointing me like my LSU Tigers did yesterday by losing the USC. Dunno, but it got binned today. It was not a bad shave by any stretch of the imagination, it was just a bit harsh, less harsh than the 5th shave on the Nacet blade I used previous to the Tiger, but harsh so it got binned. And TOBS Oud and El Dorado seem to be a match made in heaven, with very complimenting scents.

I talked with my mother yesterday, our normal Sunday catch-up on the things happening in the world. She'll be 89 in a few months and her mind is still there and her wit is as sharp as ever. She doesn't move as well as she used to, truth be told neither do I. We are blessed to have her and blessed she is in good shape. I was talking to her about my siblings and how I'm the only one of the three who cooks on a regular basis. My sister has been single all of her life, and she hardly cooks, if ever, but she eats like a bird and likely can make a meal last a week. My brother, also single for most of his adult life, eats out, or with mom. I remember from a young age wanting to cook my food. I wanted to boil my hotdogs but in her motherly wisdom, mom wouldn't let me deal with a gas burner, so she heated the water to boiling and turned off the burner, and I dropped my hotdog in the pot and watched it cook. I wasn't too satisfied with the results, but I ate it anyway. My teenage years and being allowed to use an open flame led to BBQ pits outside, I was a horrible cook at first, burning the food and using too much lighter fluid, hey, there was no internet for me to learnt from. After I was married I morphed into the chef for the Cajun family outings back home, mostly grilled foods, and I learned and got better. I also cooked the meat portion of the family outings in Texas while I was married, starting with Deep Fried Turkey, and then BBQ. Maybe I missed my calling and should have been a chef, or maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

Over the years I have tried numerous cooking methods and styles, and as time goes on it has become almost second nature to cook and create in the kitchen. There was one time, at my daughter's house when her in-laws were down. I stumbled on making a shrimp etouffee'ish dish. It wasn't the intention, but after I had sauteed the trinity of Cajun cooking, bell peppers, celery, and onions, I added flour to the mixture and ended up with a roux of sorts. Typically the roux is made first and then the trinity is thrown in to stop the roux from browning. I threw the shrimp in and it turned out quite well. So well I looked over to the inlaws as they took their first bite, they closed their eyes, put their hands on their chest and it seemed as though they were having a religious experience. Haha, they said that was the best they ever had, a thrown-together meal stumbled upon by accident meal, and they loved it. It's not like I was such a great chef it was more that I had the experience cooking and creating that it came out good. Once you get the knack of making roux without burning it, which does take some practice, then a new world of cajun cooking opens up, all you need is the trinity of cajun cooking on hand to halt the browning of the roux, sautee the trinity in the roux till the onions are clear, then some stock of sort, mostly chicken stock, sometime beef will work, and have at it. Potato stew is a simple cajun meal where once the roux and trinity are combined the onions cleared, you add stock to your desired thickness, add some cubed taters in there, a bay leaf or two, and if you have some thyme throw some in, then cover and simmer till the taters are breaking apart, add shrimp at that time cover pot till the shrimp cook through, only a few minutes. Serve over rice and call it a day. Dude, I'm getting hungry now and I didn't bring anything to work as we are closing at 2pm.

I don't mind at all coming home after a full day of work and creating something for dinner. I sorta look forward to it, it is a type of therapy for me. All the talk of pizza in Michael's (@tehnothing) journal has me going back to when I discovered how to make pizza and the journey I took. It isn't all that difficult, but hindsight is 20/20, while I think Pizza made at home is far superior to pizza ordered, I do understand how the effort may not be worth it to others who don't share my drive to cook and create new foods. I'm married and have a tighter budget than a single person, and that plays a role in it, but truth be known, without the drive to explore new foods and create them on your own, I'd likely order out also.

Now that I've made yall sufficiently hungry, I wish all a blessed Labor Day holiday, and as always, may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1904846
I have been single since 2012 unofficially and got the papers saying it was finally over in 2016. Long drawn out international divorces when one partner has no lawyer can stretch out like that. Since that time I have not really been all that interested in filling that vacancy in my life. I have had roommates where I cooked and cleaned. I had a roommate who cleaned and we fended for ourselves. Left to my own devices I had a long period of time when life was pretty rough. That time is over now. Most of my meals are take out, out of the freezer and in the oven or microwave, or, on the rare occasion that I make myself a bratwurst and wish I had Broetchen to eat it on. Now this proves how lazy I really am. I lived in Europe for 15 years, 12 of them in Germany, and, I love German food. Indianapolis boasts a very good German Butcher, and, also a very good German baker/small restaurant that makes something like a Broetchen that I made do with for a while. Pre-COVID I visited those two establishments bi weekly. Yes I need to get out more. We even have a fancy pants German Restaurant with a capital R because it is so fancy. I have never been in there. I really should. I lost a year. The bank that I finance my car with told me I was turning 46 this year. I had no idea I lost a whole year! 45 would be a good excuse. Next one is 50 I guess. It is just so fancy. I am not all that fancy. I did go to a lot of fancy places in Europe. I had a lot more people around back then. Now I got me. In town anyway. I got people in other places. This little rant started because I don't feel like cooking if it is just for me. Yes I could make my own pizza if I try. I can also hit a couple of buttons on my phone and one is here between a half hour and forty-five minutes.

WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING FUNNY? I used to make gumbo for my In-laws. I did it once and they made me make it every year when they visited. I taught myself. On my wedding day I made two lasagnas one with spinach for the vegetarian and the other for the carnivores. I didn't even take off my suit or white tie, okay I dropped the coat. It isn't that I can't cook. I can. I have a fairly broad repertoire. My Brother and I are both pretty good cooks. He has a girlfriend and health issues I don't so he cooks. Mom's recipes were always from Better Homes and Gardens. There are two things she made that I liked and never learned. Sausage balls probably made with bisquik and Chess Pie. The sausage balls were a big hit in the tent in Bosnia as were the magic cookie bars from the condensed milk can's recipe. I figured that one out it was on every can of condensed milk. Oh and the gumbo? We have three really good authentic Cajun places in town. One of the three makes a gumbo that puts the other two, and, mine for sure to shame. Meh.

IMG_0336.JPG

EDIT: It took me a minute to find that photo.

Last edited:
300+ Shaves in 2024 224 of 300+
August 2024 GRUME 29/31
ARKO!!!! August 29/31 ARKO GUNG HO
Shave Date 8/31/2024
Razor: 1952 Flare Tip Super Speed
Blade: Tiger Platinum(2)
Soap ARKO!!!
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Neiva Cooling After Shave Balm, PAA Black Shroud

Notes:

The last day of ARKO!! August 2024, and the PAA Rocket got the call for the lathering. The Tiger was surprisingly well-behaved, so well-behaved I decided to give the Tiger a 3rd shave tomorrow. Today's shave was close comfortable and nary a hint of sting or irritation, I even attached the Sea Lions somewhat, they scurried to the end the doc and cowered all together at the end of the dock in fear of being thrown in the water, when I called it quits, a sigh of relief was heard from them. The shave was great, and the scent was great also.

Pizza night last night, another last minute dough mix and this time I increased the thickness factor to get a thicker crust, the results were fantastic. I bumped up the temp to get a better char and crisp on the crust, and from a fellow John's pics (@JoWolf) I added some Jalapeños and olives, but I only had black olives.

View attachment 1903837
View attachment 1903838

View attachment 1903839
Today is the 5th anniversary for myself and my lovely Bride, although I got a late start with her, the good LORD has blessed me in finding her. Life hasn't been exactly as we planned out, you know what?? We are going to make it. With the grace of God, we'll make it just fine.

'Tis all for a Saturday, blessings and the best of shaves.

View attachment 1903855
Happy anniversary, John

Shave Date 9/2/2024
Razor:
1950's US Ball End Tech

Notes:

View attachment 1904846
I am sorry for the rant in your journal. It was kind of explaining to myself why I don't cook anymore. I did enjoy cooking for many years. Maybe I will again.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
This little rant started because I don't feel like cooking if it is just for me. Yes I could make my own pizza if I try. I can also hit a couple of buttons on my phone and one is here between a half hour and forty-five minutes.
I can somewhat relate, at least to the mental process involved in deferring cooking. Like our tame Cajun, I have been the Chef de Cuisine wherever I go since before I could legally drive(that's another story), but I had a few years where things weren't going well for me and really reduced the complication I loved putting into cooking. I still haven't made some things I used to in almost ten years now. I didn't have any option except to cook, but boy did I reduce the effort involved to the bare minimum that I could tolerate(nose slightly in the air)! I didn't really want to eat and not having an option other than cooking was not a good combination. What I am saying is it's more a mental state with cooking, you are either in or out and I can understand how you can be out without passing any judgment for being so. In fact this whole post is a long way of saying: there is no shame in not being into cooking when your reason for cooking is purely subsistence. You either do it or find some other way to get fed. I find the process relaxing, spending hours on my feet in the kitchen and most people think I am nuts. Now I cook much larger proportions and that has substituted for the complicated meals I used to prepare, I just do it less times per week now.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I can somewhat relate, at least to the mental process involved in deferring cooking. Like our tame Cajun, I have been the Chef de Cuisine wherever I go since before I could legally drive(that's another story), but I had a few years where things weren't going well for me and really reduced the complication I loved putting into cooking. I still haven't made some things I used to in almost ten years now. I didn't have any option except to cook, but boy did I reduce the effort involved to the bare minimum that I could tolerate(nose slightly in the air)! I didn't really want to eat and not having an option other than cooking was not a good combination. What I am saying is it's more a mental state with cooking, you are either in or out and I can understand how you can be out without passing any judgment for being so. In fact this whole post is a long way of saying: there is no shame in not being into cooking when your reason for cooking is purely subsistence. You either do it or find some other way to get fed. I find the process relaxing, spending hours on my feet in the kitchen and most people think I am nuts. Now I cook much larger proportions and that has substituted for the complicated meals I used to prepare, I just do it less times per week now.

And now you know why I use the microwave, and not the stove & oven. I eat super simple, microwaved foods. I am not the type of person who enjoys cooking, and if I absolutely have to cook, I will use my crock pot. If it can't be cooked in a crock pot ( like home made chili for example ) or a microwave, then I aint doing it.

I know there are some purists out there, who would never use a microwave, but since their introduction in the 80's, just about everyone had one by the 90's. It just makes life easier, so that eating doesn't become a chore that you hate. Throw it in there, set the required time, BEEP BEEP BEEP, food's done, you may now begin stuffing your face. Nom nom nom 😋

I am moving my reply to this to my own journal.

And now you know why I use the microwave, and not the stove & oven. I eat super simple, microwaved foods. I am not the type of person who enjoys cooking, and if I absolutely have to cook, I will use my crock pot. If it can't be cooked in a crock pot ( like home made chili for example ) or a microwave, then I aint doing it.

I know there are some purists out there, who would never use a microwave, but since their introduction in the 80's, just about everyone had one by the 90's. It just makes life easier, so that eating doesn't become a chore that you hate. Throw it in there, set the required time, BEEP BEEP BEEP, food's done, you may now begin stuffing your face. Nom nom nom 😋
I trashed a jumbo sized cabinet microwave in 2018. I went until late last year/early this year to replace it. After the few months I have had it I wasn't missing a thing without it. Frozen meals are better from the oven if you have to eat them.

Here I am comment here anyway. One of my biggest problems with cooking is my dislike of leftovers. That does not go for all leftovers. There are things I can eat two days in a row that Japanese steak fried rice. take out. Chicken Alfredo fries, take out. I just can't think of anything I would cook that I would want the second day. Brattwurst or breakfast sausages maybe. real broetchen two day old broetchen rock and I could put my bratwurst with them, or even better cut up the bratwurst mix up some curry it isn't ketchup. I have had curry ketchup and I don't like it but the tomato based sauce they use for curry wurst I would eat that like going out of style. And they sell it on amazon as maggi or knorr fix. Both would work. Great. Now I am hungry. In one of my boxes somewhere there is a kitchen box with one or the other in it and I have bratwurst. Maybe I will look tomorrow.

Remember I said I have a good German bakery? You have heard of Black Forest Cake. In German it is called schwarzwalderkirsch. They make a decent one there. What they don’t make is the highly superior Donauwelle

Buttercreme chocolate topping and morello cherries sounds simple. I used to be a moderator for my Linux distribution. One of the developers main job was a chef. I asked him to teach me how to make it. He basically told me to give up. He said cheat buy premade Buttercreme that you can’t get in the states and is such a pain to make and is easy to ruin. Doesn’t seem so hard from that link.

For my birthday one year I wanted to make rinderrouladen. I don’t even know what to call that in English large flat steaks with onions pickles and sharp German mustard rolled up in them. Served with a brown red wine sauce. I went to the German butcher got all the ingredients. I ordered the mix to make Buttercreme the morello cherries for the filling and the chocolate for the top. I bought Klöße and red Rotkohl to be authentic. I don’t even like rot kohl. I bought everything then the older lady that was going to help make it from scratch because what does a German chef know, well her mom got sick. I put the steaks in the freezer my birthday passed. A few more months past. We never did it. That was the last time I felt like cooking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom