What's new

Omega soap gotten better or worse after reformulation?

Yesterday I noticed that the sticker on the bottom of my bowl of Omega was actually stuck on top of another one. I peeled it off and proceeded to check whether the ingredients differed. Of course, they did. And then I read here in another thread about it already being known....yadda yadda.

OUT: lanolin
IN: amyl cinnamal, eugenol, geraniol

proxy.php

I have no idea what these do so I'm curious if anyone noticed whether Omega has made a step forward, backward or just "sideways". :confused:

Welcome to B&B!!!

I haven't had any experience with this soap, yet, but I'm curious as to when your "old" bowl was purchased. I noticed it doesn't have the little expiration print (the jar with "12M" on it) and it also encourages users to throw the container in the trash instead if recycle.

OUT: lanolin
IN: amyl cinnamal, eugenol, geraniol

The lanolin might have been removed because it's a known ingredient that many people are actually allergic to. And it's hard to say if someone had a reaction and threatened them with a lawsuit OR they just had a number of complaints. OR they just decided to remove it because it's a known to cause allergic reactions in many people.
Here is one such article.

As to the other ingredients they added they are basically fragrances.

http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=1914
Amyl Cinnamal

Amyl Cinnamal, also called alpha-amyl cinnamic aldehyde, is a pale yellow liquid with a floral smell suggestive of jasmine. In cosmetics and personal care products, Amyl Cinnamal is used in the formulation of bath products, bubble baths, body and hand products, and shampoos.

http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=1833
Eugenol

Eugenol is a clear to pale yellow liquid that has a spicy clove-like aroma. Eugenol, a naturally occurring substance found in many plants, is used to make fragrances and flavors. In cosmetics and personal care products, Eugenol is used in the formulation of aftershave lotions, bath products, bubble baths, fragrances, hair care products, moisturizers, shampoos and skin care products.

http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=1913
Geraniol

Geraniol is a clear to pale-yellow oil with a rose-like odor. In addition to being used as a fragrance ingredient, Geraniol is also used in flavors such as peach, raspberry, plum, citrus fruits, watermelon, pineapple and blueberry. In cosmetics and personal care products, Geraniol is used in the formulation of aftershave lotions, bath products, bubble baths, hair products, lipsticks, moisturizers, perfumes and colognes, skin care products and suntan products.

@ Krissy thanks for those links. I had no idea lanolin was a potential allergen to some.
BTW, the first link requires a login.

@ MrGuy: I bought it about 2 weeks ago from the eBay seller called Open_Razor from Poland (he's been named a few times around here when mentioning Wars cream)

Also, now this makes me wonder whether I have "old" Omega inside with new sticker outside. LOL!
I mean, a previous user of the "old" Omega should be able to smell (because of three new fragrances) and feel (lanolin taken out) the difference, right??

Last edited:
Lanolin may cause sensitivity reactions in some people, but it's a killer ingredient in a shaving cream/soap. My guess, from reading the ingredient lists, would be that the old version would give a slightly better shave and the new one would smell slightly better.

I use the new formulation of the Omega cream and it's my favorite cream. It gives me as good a shave as my Godrej cream, Cella soap, Tabac, etc. I don't notice the lack of lanolin.

Likely, the only difference between the two formulations is the removal of the lanolin. The fragrance compounds listed on the new label are the allergenic compounds included in the fragrance. EU law now mandates that certain allergenic compounds must be listed specifically on the ingredients list. In all likelihood, they were present in the older formulation, and were just included under the blanket term "parfum (fragrance)." What I find interesting is that the old Omega formulation is exactly the same as Santa Maria Novella shaving cream, at least in terms of ingredients, whereas the new one is the same as Proraso soap, again in terms of ingredients.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I wonder if they did the same with the cream...

Top Bottom