What's new

Brush Cleaning

I've watched Mantic's videos on brush cleaning but I still have some questions. How do I clean the soap scum off of the handle? I don't want to do something that would rub off OEM lettering, etc. so I'm hesitant to polish it with something.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Paul

Em's Place also has some videos on cleaning brushes as well, both with Borax and a Water/Vinegar solution.

to slightly deviate this thread....How do members sanitize USED shaving brushes? I have heard of a mix of vinegar and borax. I understand herpes and hepatitis are resilient viruses even outside the body.

Soap scum? wipe it off after shaving.

Cleaning a brush? Vineagar solution soak, then shampoo, or perhaps borax.

The brush was not always mine, otherwise I would agree that proper brush maintenance would have made a difference.

The brush is an old Trumpers Super Badger. It's small so it's perfect for travel and it's my only Super. Some of the lettering is already coming off the handle so I didn't want to make it any worse.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

~Paul

Avoid using harsh household cleaners.

Soap scum that forms on both the bristles and handles is a natural and normal side effect of using organic soap with water. ALL water that is not distilled is, to a greater or lesser extent, considered "hard" in that it contains at least some fraction of dissolved calcium salts.

The best way to clean both bristle and handles is to periodically wash the brush in a mild shampoo and warm water. You can use a 20% white vinegar solution for severe soap scum buildup. You can then use a mild Borax a couple of times a year. Rinse well with warm water before using.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If a brush is properly cleaned after shaving one should have not a problem with any residual soap scum on hair or handle. Here is what I am doing:
rinse out all soap or cream residue under running warm water - in between gently squeeze the hair so all the lather comes out - shake out all the water - brush against a dry towel - dry off handle and leave to dry in open air (do not enclose brush!!) - some stand it up on the handle, others hang it with the hair down, guess either way is fine as long as the air get to it.

I was going to start a new thread on this but seems pointless to duplicate. I watched these videos http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

In this the lady recommends two methods, first (and best) is to use vinegar and the second is to use Borax. She states that she feels Borax leaves the brushes too "flyaway" so prefers the vinegar method (although she does say you can do both).

My question is the part where she uses Glycerin, I had never heard of that before. Do any of you guys use Glycerin to soften the brush? Had a quick look and it seems easy enough to pick up, and it cheap.

Any thoughts, comments or experiences on using Glycerin in the cleaning routine? Might give it a try on an older brush first.

Last edited:
I am/was concerned about the handle and not the brush. I should have been more specific in my "cleaning question". I've since used a vinegar solution and a soft towel to rub off the soap scum without damaging the lettering. Soaking it didn't seem to make a big difference and it required some elbow grease to get it clean.

Thanks for the input - one and all.

Paul

Soap on a ceramic/resin type handle should come off easily enough without removing the lettering, I have soaked and scrubbed my brushes and handles before and had no ill effects on the lettering, just don't go mad with the wore wool or anything and you should be OK.

Having said that it probably would not hurt to try a tiny test area first or just soak up to the end of the bristles and just lightly clean the handle with a soft cloth if you are concerned.

I do not own a wooden handle brush so cannot comment on those. I do own a meal handle Dovo brush but since there is no lettering on that it is not an issue.

Top Bottom