What's new

Aluminum handle staining/tarnishing?

Hi everyone: I recently purchased a Zenith pro boar brush and after a two week break in session took it out for a spin with a shave. After clean up I noticed what looks like tarnishing or staining on the handle, see pic below. Seems so strange this would happen after just one use... Perhaps from my preshave or shaving cream? (I usually use Proraso preshave and Muhle cream) Had a look online and it seems one can just use any aluminum polish like Mothers etc but wanted to check in with the forum and see if anyone has had a similar experience or feedback with cleaning up an aluminum handle? Thanks so much!

IMG_0662.jpg

Is this a bargain brush? If it isn't, I'd complain. It probably wasn't anodized, which is really strange.

An anodizing layer is aluminum oxide which is an insulator. If you have an ohm meter, you can test for electrical continuity. If there's infinite resistance across two points, then it is anodized and something else is going on.

... Thom

What shall I say except “aluminium” (“aluminum” for our US cousins)???

Known for tarnishing, but also loved for it because the tarnish, even though unsightly, provides a protective layer.
The aluminium L’Occidane shaving soap dishes did the same.

There is little use in polishing it because you just remove the protective layer and it then will start again.
You might try some of those silver polishing cloths/pastes, they may leave a thin film of their own and delay the onset of new corrosion as long as the film remains intact.

And no, Zenith brushes are certainly not bargain brushes.
They are in fact very good (IMO better than Omega), but aluminium is aluminium…

B.

I think Zenith brushes are excellent, and for the price they cost... they definitely are bargain brushes. :wink2:

If you put it that way… 😊

BUT, since they are bargain brushes in your opinion, you mean the OP shouldn’t complain then (see post #2)? :pipe:

B.

P.S.
Who else uses Occam’s razor daily? :001_cool:

Last edited:
What shall I say except “aluminium” (“aluminum” for our US cousins)???

Known for tarnishing, but also loved for it because the tarnish, even though unsightly, provides a protective layer.
The aluminium L’Occidane shaving soap dishes did the same.

There is little use in polishing it because you just remove the protective layer and it then will start again.
You might try some of those silver polishing cloths/pastes, they may leave a thin film of their own and delay the onset of new corrosion as long as the film remains intact.

And no, Zenith brushes are certainly not bargain brushes.
They are in fact very good (IMO better than Omega), but aluminium is aluminium…

B.
Thanks for this insight! I’ll leave it be then and write it off as “character” 😅

I think Zenith brushes are excellent, and for the price they cost... they definitely are bargain brushes. :wink2:
The value proposition of Zenith is unreal - compared to my Omega 48 this boar is almost in a league of its own, and now that it’s just about fully broken in (didn’t take long at all, 2 weeks including drying times) the feel on the face is divine.

All of a sudden my BAD is flaring up and I’ve got a Zenith silvertip in my wishlist… help?

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
I've got the 506All handle, no tarnish on mine. I usually wipe it with a towel after use, but I don't think that matters. I hang dry it on a brush stand, so any water droplets would go quickly anyway.

Top Bottom