What's new

Micromatic Tips

Hey guys,
Looking at some of the posts about some guys not getting great shaves with their Micromatics bums me out:frown: My journey to outstanding shaves with GEMs, Micromatics especially, began a little rocky as well, but with a couple of slight modifications to my first techniques they are my favorite razors now. I'm sure this post has been done before, but this is what works for me, and I'm going to do it again:biggrin:
A. I know the instructions say to keep the head flat against the face, but this is not always the case. The correct blade angle for you may bring the head off your face some. Start with the head flat, if you get irritation free BBS shaves, you have found your angle:cool: If the blade pulls, drags, or in any other way causes irritation, slowly bring the back (non blade side) of the head off your skin. The correct angle should be easy to find as you will no longer feel any pulling, drag, or feel irritation. Don't wait until your shave is over and your face is dripping blood to change the angle, just feel and change as you go. I have no idea why it seems that the blade angle changes from person to person, but from what I can tell from reading the boards, it does. I guess it's just one of those things that modern science and rational thought can't explain (like how some say a BBS GEM shave lasts longer than a BBS DE shave, which it does:wink:)
#2. Great lather...
I know, I know. I don't think anyone here takes pride in creating a sub-par lather for any shave, but I think your best performing soap/cream is a must for quality Micromatic shaves. Again, what works best for you may not work for me. You can use any soap or cream you want, but I do notice a difference, a very slight difference, in the quality of my shaves when using different soaps. (I guess that can be said of any shave, but the Micromatic will magnify these differences)
#3.14159. The major breakthrough in my Micromatic career was when I changed my grip. This grip makes it easy to apply no pressure at all, which is one of the biggest keys to a great Micromatic shave. As it might be a little hard for me to explain, I took a few pics.

First, a "head-on" shot of the grip. Notice how the "ring finger" is under the razor. That is the only finger keeping the razor from falling out of my hand. The other fingers are there just to keep the razor balanced on the ring finger. If you were to pull up on the razor you would have no resistance taking it from my hand.
proxy.php

Second shot, a side view of the grip.
proxy.php

Finally, an "action" shot.
proxy.php

This is actually the grip I use now for all my razors, except the straight, but I think you could have guessed that. Again, APPLY NO PRESSURE!

(A notice to all you detail oriented B&B'rs, I know there is no blade in my razor in the pics, but rest assured I always use at least one during a "live shave" :lol:)

AB. Have a styptic pencil or at least an alum block on hand for your first few shaves, you might need them:eek: These razors didn't get the reputation of being evil face shredders for nothing.:devil: Just kidding. Most claims are over exaggerated, and the Micromatics should not be feared or avoided, but you are working with a very sharp blade passing over your face. A little insurance never hurt anyone, wait... insurance hasn't ever hurt any one has it:confused: If you are especially prone to cuts you might also want to try your first shaves on a day when you aren't working, unless you're a professional wrestler or something where a bloody face would come in handy.

Alright, that's about all the info I have learned in my GEM of a journey. Please feel free too ask questions if you're new to the Micromatics, or add anything if you've found success with your Micromatics.
Also, my imaginary legal department tell me that to avoid any further "discussions" with your real legal department I should warn that these techniques have worked very well for me, they might not work at all for you. There might even be a few people out there that the Micromatics just don't like. MMs are a picky razor, but once they find the right owner they are as loyal as any other really loyal thing.

Last edited:
Great to see someone else who loves the Micromatic as much as I do. The weight of the razor and the open comb head just make the razor sing when I shave. I have to agree that shave angle is everything. When it's right you can hear the blade zipping through the whiskers.

Great post.

Micromatic Shavers Unite!

Great to see someone else who loves the Micromatic as much as I do. The weight of the razor and the open comb head just make the razor sing when I shave. I have to agree that shave angle is everything. When it's right you can hear the blade zipping through the whiskers.

Great post.

Micromatic Shavers Unite!

Thanks Jay! I did forget to mention the way the right angle sounds. I heard the same thing about DE's when I started, but never really understood until I started with the GEMs. That must be the hardest part to explain, but you'll know when you get there.

Maybe I'll give my Micromatic a try again this weekend, though mine deffinatly craves blood.

Last time I tried it, it tore me to shreds. Far worse than even my first or second attempt with a straight, far worse than any of my DE's, Gems or Ever Readys.

But I might try again.....

Maybe I'll give my Micromatic a try again this weekend, though mine deffinatly craves blood.

Last time I tried it, it tore me to shreds. Far worse than even my first or second attempt with a straight, far worse than any of my DE's, Gems or Ever Readys.

Let us know how you do if you go for another round. Add any thoughts on my tips as well, the more experience that gets shared the better the chances of more guys getting good results with their Micromatics.

i see a lot of pressure in the last pic :hand:

I wondered who would pick-up on that. It's actually due to reflection from the head. The grip I use really doesn't allow any pressure. I'm just resting the razor in my finger.
OK... maybe a little pressure due to my getting all twisted in a non-shaving stance to take the pic. I'm sure there was an easier way to do it, but that would have required thought on my part:lol: The actual shave has no pressure at all.

Last edited:
Hello

I found a Micromatic this weekend for $2. Got it cleaned up and had a go with it last night, and earlier this evening. The good news is that I drew no blood, but it took me some time getting my skin fairly smooth. I think I will keep on using this razor in the future, but it will take me awhile to get good with it.
Mark

Is this a GEM which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A GEM of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I draw.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an instrument I was to use.
Mine eyes are made the fools o' the other senses,
Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
And on thy blade and handle gouts of blood,
Which was not so before. There's no such thing:
It is the bloody business which informs
Thus to mine eyes...

Apologies to Shakespear

Hello

I found a Micromatic this weekend for $2. Got it cleaned up and had a go with it last night, and earlier this evening. The good news is that I drew no blood, but it took me some time getting my skin fairly smooth. I think I will keep on using this razor in the future, but it will take me awhile to get good with it.
Mark

I think you'll find the Micromatic well worth the small amount of effort needed to "learn" and get used to it. 2 bucks is a good deal for a nice MM. Which type did you get? Open comb, Clog Pruf, Bullet tip?

mk-ultra, do you take requests?:lol: Maybe some Poe would fit the Micromatic... Once upon my morning lather, while I pondered which blade to gather...:biggrin:

I have the "Clog Pruf" version. The first three shaves with it so far have all been better than the last one. Right now I am using my Super Speed for the next few days. In a week or so I will have another go with the Micromatic. I have found a local shop that carries actual Gem made Single Edge blades, I plan on getting some of those soon and see if they work better than the "generic" SE Blades I have now.
Mark

I have found a local shop that carries actual Gem made Single Edge blades, I plan on getting some of those soon and see if they work better than the "generic" SE Blades I have now.
Mark

+1. Using SE blades that are made for shaving is a key part of the process.

I've made some pretty bad choices in my day, but I can't say I've ever tried hardware store blades for a shave. Maybe some day I'll try it, just to report back:lol: But for now I'll just agree with the good folks here and stick to the shaving blades.

I really like my Micromatic, it shaves a consistent DFS to BBS. I got mine dated to the 30's, it's a Clog-Pruf all brass. I like how it looks old, is shiny brass and how it looks like a simple and efficeint machine. I located another, but chrome, at the antique store. I shall have it, too. I found those coated blades at Ted Pella's, but you have to buy 200 at a time. I only want half that. Probably any of those medical blades will do.

My advice for using a Micromatic based upon my own experience with it and other GEM, GEM Jr, ER SE razors is to throw it away. No matter the cost. Do not do as I did and PIF it. They are junk compared to the older SE razors from the same manufacturer.

Now this does not make me an expert about GEM Junkomatic razors but I do think that one should not go bananas if you can't get it to work.

By the way, after you dispose of the Junkomatic give a real SE razor a try and go for a 1912 or one of the lather catcher style SE razors. Now they will provide you with fine shaves day in and day out.

I just got a Micromatic here a day ago and I am in love! Not to mention the blades they use are a dime a dozen and I can get them for free all day at work!
But man let me tell you it was a little aggressive for me unless I was just pressing in too hard where as I shouldnt have been pressing at all. Oh well. Warm Lather to all of you!

My advice for using a Micromatic based upon my own experience with it and other GEM, GEM Jr, ER SE razors is to throw it away. No matter the cost. Do not do as I did and PIF it. They are junk compared to the older SE razors from the same manufacturer.

Now this does not make me an expert about GEM Junkomatic razors but I do think that one should not go bananas if you can't get it to work.

By the way, after you dispose of the Junkomatic give a real SE razor a try and go for a 1912 or one of the lather catcher style SE razors. Now they will provide you with fine shaves day in and day out.

i will +1 this.

I just got a Micromatic here a day ago and I am in love! Not to mention the blades they use are a dime a dozen and I can get them for free all day at work!
But man let me tell you it was a little aggressive for me unless I was just pressing in too hard where as I shouldnt have been pressing at all. Oh well. Warm Lather to all of you!

Glad you like the Junkomatic. I sure hope it doesn't turn you off from SE shaving. Once you get some confidence with the Micromatic (noticed I didn't call it a Junkomatic this time out of respect for your liking it) you must look into a 1912 GEM, GEM Jr or Ever Ready. These are real SE shavers. You will not be disappointed.

Good luck with the Micromatic hope it treats you better than it treated me.

Mk, how penneth such poesy thine Mk?

Thy verse winds as a mightily tightened bodice throughout
my mind, not to be foresaken as the mere meanderings
of a blade wielding dandy, nor as the prating twaddle one could ascribe to a rhythmic rhapsodist wholly seeking fortune through a wildy loosened quill.
Nay, rather it be made sonant, thine apex of metric was hooded betwixt that most dear to my afflicted heart:

And on thy blade and handle gouts of blood

Ahhh gentle muse, I am sustained.

Mk, how penneth such poesy thine Mk?

Thy verse winds as a mightily tightened bodice throughout
my mind, not to be foresaken as the mere meanderings
of a blade wielding dandy, nor as the prating twaddle one could ascribe to a rhythmic rhapsodist wholly seeking fortune through a wildy loosened quill.
Nay, rather it be made sonant, thine apex of metric was hooded betwixt that most dear to my afflicted heart:

And on thy blade and handle gouts of blood

Ahhh gentle muse, I am sustained.

Actually, I just take something that exists, poem/song and change a word here or there.

The aforementioned verse was nicked from Macbeth. This is the "Is this a dagger which I see before me ..." soliloquy. I'd been wanted to use it somewhere. When I came upon the phrase "And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood", I knew this was meant for the GEM Micromatic.

Personally, I think the Micromatic is the joke played on Newbies. Mine was tossed in at no charge with another razor I bought. The jokesters get a Newbie to acquire a Micromatic, tell them how to use it, and when the poor Newbie reports about how badly he ripped up his face, they all electronically high-five each other and check that Newbie off the list. Now that I've fallen prey, I suppose it is my turn to convince another Newbie to try it.

Gotta go. Those nice young men in their clean white coats are here.

Top Bottom