What's new

Micromatic Tips

I love the MMOC, it is now my goto razor. I finally cracked it when I added more WTG passes before attempting XTG or ATG.

The most BBS results of any razor I've tried so far. Waiting on the Muhle R41, interested to see if that is more aggressive, or efficient, as it were.

Eric

I got what looks like a Gem Micromatic open-comb from a friend of a friend who knew I was into this type of thing. It's just been sitting here for months, and I haven't decided if I should try it out or not. There is the annoyance of having to acquire shave-quality single-edge blades, and from much of what I've read, these things are aggressive. I've shaved with a straight, but this actually seems more intimidating.

Reminds me of what a guy said to me about his first straight razor shave: "The first time is scary as hell. You're sitting there, staring at this thing, about to put it to your skin, phone nearby with 9-1 already entered and your finger on the 1 button..."

Go ahead and try it! It gives a great shave. Blades can be picked up at CVS or Walgreen's. It's the only SE I kept when I was cleaning my den out.

I probably will; if I can deal with the straight, I can probably deal with this. I'll post a report back eventually.

I got weeped 8 times on my 2nd shave with OCMM. It could have been the rusty blade, so I am waiting for new blades before I give it a go again. My stoppers were taken off by the previous owner, so I don't know if that would cause problems? The blade is basically near the end of the teeth. Great tips!

Maybe I'll give my Micromatic a try again this weekend, though mine deffinatly craves blood.

Last time I tried it, it tore me to shreds. Far worse than even my first or second attempt with a straight, far worse than any of my DE's, Gems or Ever Readys.

But I might try again.....

The first shave with a new SE blade was always rough for me. After the first shave, the blade settled down and my shaves were smooth. Then I came across this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc. Now I always hand strop my new blades before I use them and my first shave is very smooth. It seems to make a big difference.

You inspired me to use my Micromatic tonight in the shower. I only used it once so far. I will try to get a BBS.

Kirk

I've been DE shaving for around 5 years. I was never able to get the knack of using Gem single edge razors. But I'm ecstatic to announce that after much trial and error, several very irritated faces, and a lot if time watching videos by MrGuysRazors, I am able to get a close, comfortable DFS from my Gem G-bar, Clog-pruf, and yes...the open comb Micromatic. I am really feeling like I've accomplished something! And I did it using Williams soap and a cheap Burmashave brush! As you can imagine, this was a challenge on several levels, but again, with advice from this forum and it's members, I have conquered this thing!! After years of sitting in a box, the Gems are getting used! Up next, my 1912. I've been using Gem BluStar and Treet blades, and they've worked well for me. Can't wait for the next SE shave!

Top Bottom