What's new

Aftershave splash or Balm?

I currently use an aftershave balm but I am interested in trying a splash. I know that most aftershaves tend to have alcohol in them. Does this make a difference in the tone or feel of your skin after a shave?

Try a few out and see how they work with your skin. If I need a bit of moisture, I will use a balm after using a splash.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Gotta try em. I use both sometimes, ASB only at other times and splases only a few more times.

I think the balms are more soothing and seem to promote healing if the shave was rough. Balms also offer better moisturizing.

Splashes seem to close the pores up pretty quickly and a nice dose of alcohol can be a good antiseptic after dragging a sharp object across your face. Some splashes also do a pretty good job of moisturizing.

If my face is feeling dry, (generally speaking, not just post shave), I lean toward the balm.

I started with no alcohol balms, but have switched to aftershaves with alcohol. I feel that the alcohol does a better job of quieting down infection and razor burn, for me. Sometimes balms leave my face a little sticky feeling. My daily AS is Thayer's Superhazel. Some say it dries out your face, but give it a few days in a row and your skin will adjust. Sometimes I'll use a balm when I don't shave (although with this hobby that's a rare occasion!).

I have a few AS balms, but use them irregularly, since I find they make me break out (I have oily skin). Splashes work great for me, personally.

I used balms almost exclusively for several years, but I now tend to drift toward splashes. The balms are somewhat to "oily".

Top Bottom