What's new

Guess Wet Shaving Can't Fix Everything

Well, three weeks in and I'm having a great time and spending WAY too much $$ on this new man-pampering experience!

For the most part, my ingrown hairs and razor bumps are under control which is a VERY good thing and worth every penny for that alone.

I'm using my #38C with Derby blades, AOS Lavender pre-shave oil/cream/balm and a Simpson's Chubby #2 brush.

Still only doing a WTG and XTG pass. I just tried an ATG pass on my cheeks just to see how it went. No problems with it, but I'm not ready <wimp> to attempt it on my chin/nose/neck area.

Still having problems with irritation on one area of my neck (see pic). This has always been a problem area for me ever since I was a teenager. The hair in this area is more coarse and basically grows in all different directions (almost swirls). I've really watched the blade angle and pressure so I know that's not it. I've ordered a blade sampler pack to try different blades to see if I can lessen the irritation. So far I've tried Mekur and Derby and had basically the same result. I'm also going to experiment with different after shave products (any recommendations?) to see if that might help a bit.

Despite that minor annoyance, I'm having a great time and now really looking forward to getting up in the morning for my new routine.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. Hope your shaves today were extra special!! :biggrin:

View attachment 22840

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It can't fix everything? Why, it separates us from the godless commies!

Some guys are never satisfied. :lol:

I get almost the exact same thing on my neck. I've had good results with the Nancy Boy shaving cream and aftershave; I'm using an HD with the Israeli Personna's. A visit to the dermatologist helped too....

Yes, I also have something like that in a small area of my neck. The strange thing is that it looks irritated, but I don't actually feel any irritation. Maybe that's a sign that it will be clearing up soon. Let's hope so.

Does it also feel irritated in your case, USAF CMSgt?

Best wishes,
Jan Pieter

Hello,
many of us get a patch of irritation on the neck, usually in one spot, and almost always the same spot. I hate to say it, but it is most likely caused by your dominant hand applying either to much pressure (even slightly) or a minor change in blade angle. I get them, and i would swear I am not adding pressure....but it happens. I would let it heal for a day or two, and when you shave that spot do a once or twice over (wtg) and call it good for a few days. See if this doesn't help.

Regards,

I had that problem on my neck when I first started wet shaving with a DE too. A number of things helped:
1. My technique improved. Finally got the angle and minimum pressure thing down.
2. I mapped my beard growth pattern. I realized that while I thought I was shaving WTG on my neck in some places, I was actually taking the first pass XTG.
3. I started using witchazel after the cold water splash.
4. I stopped using after shave splashes and just use after shave balms. My current favorite is Castle Forbes although I also like Nivea for extra sensitive skin, Proraso, Momma Bear's aftershave milk and some others.
5. I finally found the blade of choice for me. While I have used most the others, the feather is my blade of choice.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Hello,
many of us get a patch of irritation on the neck, usually in one spot, and almost always the same spot. I hate to say it, but it is most likely caused by your dominant hand applying either to much pressure (even slightly) or a minor change in blade angle. I get them, and i would swear I am not adding pressure....but it happens. I would let it heal for a day or two, and when you shave that spot do a once or twice over (wtg) and call it good for a few days. See if this doesn't help.

Regards,

Thanks Smoke. I'll give anything a try. This has always been a problem patch for me ... even through my multi-blade and electric days. Might be just one of those things I have to live with! :frown:

...and CONGRATS on your first straight shave. You are a brave soul!!!:eek:

Yes, I also have something like that in a small area of my neck. The strange thing is that it looks irritated, but I don't actually feel any irritation. Maybe that's a sign that it will be clearing up soon. Let's hope so.

Does it also feel irritated in your case, USAF CMSgt?

Best wishes,
Jan Pieter

Hey Jan. Well, it depends. If I just do standard WTG passes it really doesn't feel like it's irritated. But, when I do a XTG pass or if my blade is dull I can definitely feel it because the hair in that area is more coarse. The tell tale sign for me is when I run my Alum Block over my face after my cold rinse. I can really feel all the spots sting a bit where I might have applied to much pressure or got a nick/weep spot.

I had that problem on my neck when I first started wet shaving with a DE too. A number of things helped:
1. My technique improved. Finally got the angle and minimum pressure thing down.
2. I mapped my beard growth pattern. I realized that while I thought I was shaving WTG on my neck in some places, I was actually taking the first pass XTG.
3. I started using witchazel after the cold water splash.
4. I stopped using after shave splashes and just use after shave balms. My current favorite is Castle Forbes although I also like Nivea for extra sensitive skin, Proraso, Momma Bear's aftershave milk and some others.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks Steve ... all great suggestions and things I'm trying to concentrate on. Right now I use the Alum Block after the cold water splash but I will definitely give Witch Hazel a try! I just picked up some of the Nivea and ordered the non-alcohol Proraso so hopefully they will help. I NEVER use an after shave spash or anything with alcohol in it.

The tell tale sign for me is when I run my Alum Block over my face after my cold rinse. I can really feel all the spots sting a bit where I might have applied to much pressure or got a nick/weep spot.

I see. In my case I don't feel anything special when I run my alum block over that spot. So maybe that means that the actual irritation is over and my skin will be clearing up soon. I have been attempting to shave only one pass WTG over the "problem spot" in the past week. I'll doublecheck the grain to make sure that it is indeed WTG.

[EDIT] It seems that what I thought was ATG is actually XTG (stubble growing sideways instead of down). I'll try a corrected WTG pass tomorrow morning.

JPK

CMSgt -
Just realized that we are practically neighbors!
Forgot to mention that I would keep trying different blade types. Sometimes this makes a difference. If someone has not mentioned it before to you, you can get a sampler pack from west coast shaving.

SMOKE said:
many of us get a patch of irritation on the neck, usually in one spot, and almost always the same spot. I hate to say it, but it is most likely caused by your dominant hand applying either to much pressure (even slightly) or a minor change in blade angle.

~Scott --

I agree with SMOKE. I'm pretty sure that it's technique related. You can change your 'stuff' but I don't think it'll help much. Go light. I believe it'll clear up with time as you gain experience and practice.

-- John Gehman

~Scott --

I agree with SMOKE. I'm pretty sure that it's technique related. You can change your 'stuff' but I don't think it'll help much. Go light. I believe it'll clear up with time as you gain experience and practice.

-- John Gehman

Thanks John ... I sure hope you are right and that it will correct itself over time! I just read your hall of fame entry. I'm from the Detroit area (8 and Gratiot) myself and now live in Columbia, MD. Small world.

I would get about the same when I started and still get a little now, it has actually been handy in gauging my technique. The couple of "lightbulb" moments have come from stretching the skin. I thought I was doing an adequate job but almost accidentally I found that a couple inches over really flattened the area/stood up the stubble. I'll toss a +1 on what Steve had to say (especially about mapping your beard growth) it has all helped (although I refuse to give up the Clubman :cool: )

Scott

I see some good advice here. I would ditch the preshave oil for a while and try to use Kyle's prep. For me the key is to put a hot towel over lather and let them work together. It made a major difference for me. Also, lavender can be an irritant for some.

The mapping of the beard is a most important part. My neck hair actually grows upwards. So if I try to do what most guys do, when I transition to the neck, I end up going against the grain. That is why I don't like the N-S descriptions. N-S for me is against the grain on the neck. I like the WTG, XTG and ATG descriptions.

The other thing is that the neck skin tends to move around. So that when your blade engages the whisker, it pulls the skin and moves it until enough tension to cut the whisker is achieved. This allows the skin to snap back and I suspect dynamics at work that cause the blade to engage the next portion of skin in an unintended way.

So the upshot is to keep the neck skin taut by tilting your chin up and/or holding your free hand at the base of the neck to tension the skin. Shave with the grain only until your get good results this way. Focus on blade angle. Focus on very light pressure. And take short strokes. Wet slick lather. I would bet you can achieve good results with time.

And thanks for your service
from a retired Senior Chief

Mike, Royal and everyone....

Thanks so much for the great tips! This site has been great and you all are so helpful and patient with us noobs!

And backatcha to you and all the past/present military! Always good to hear from my Navy brethren!! Nice to know ya shipmates!!

And to you as well, my Best friend is a zoomy, the schmuck decided to join about 2 weeks after I went to boot. If he had made up his damn mind a bit earlier I probably be wearing light blue (and be a rank or two less:biggrin:)

Yes, Sir ... now I must take your life and keep you quiet! :biggrin:

I will always remember when I heard one of the senior spooks tell one of the junior comms guys "You know, a clearance dosn't mean that you get to kill to keep a secret, it means you are expected to die to keep it..":lol:

Use good prep, take it slow, and use a light touch. You'll get it.

You know, even though it's been over thirty years ago, it seems like yesterday. I was assigned to Naval Communications (NSS) just outside of DC. My neighbors back home thought I was in some kind of trouble when investigators came around asking questions about me. I was getting my TS crypto access clearance!

-Clarke

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I battled this problem for years. Part of it may have been age related, but I think it is mostly technique.

I see you already have plenty of suggestions to try. One thing I found helpful was to take a day off from shaving once a week and occasionally take a few days off. These rest days allow for healing and for the ingrowns to work out and or fester a little.

After you have let the whiskers grow a little, you can really see what is going on there. Try barely shaving that area, so it is cut just above the skin. It will still pass inspection at muster, but won't feel BBS. This may be an area that you can only shave close a couple of times a week.

Top Bottom