What's new

My shavemac died

Last night, while shaving, the knot on my 3 week old shavemac silvertip decided to come unglued. I emailed Bernd so we will see what happens next. I've had some trouble getting in contact with him in the past.

I've emailed a few times in the past with a few questions, and I haven't gotten responses at all.

I'm sad. :crying:

I'm sorry to hear this has happened. Bernd will get this fixed! He's actually swamped with work and I've been having the exact same e-mail problems lately. It's one of my pet peeves as to not respond to an e-mail in a timely manner.
As much as I love shavemac brushes and I have another one on order it will probably be my last for a very long time until he resolves his e-mail communication as it's been a pain in the (|) to get the custom order going for this last brush.:biggrin:
The only advise I can give you is just send him the same e-mail every day until he finally decides to make time to answer.

I really don't want to be a pain with him, but I guess I will follow your advice. Thanks.

You could always give him a call if you have one off those cheap int. rate plans. That is if you're calling from the US.

If not just send him an e-mail in high priority with a 'request read receipt'.

this may not be ideal for you, but you could always try to reglue it yourself. I know others here have done this with brushes, and I did it with a Burma shave brush. Shavemac has quality customer service, but do you want to be without your brush for so long if you have to send it back? I don't know, I have screwed up many projects because I thought I could do something myself that I could not. I think its worth a shot however.

This could also be a good excuse to buy another brush, as a back up. Then buy another, for a back up to the backup, and so on. Madness has overcome me!

I am really bummed.
Max - calling him is a final try to get in contact with him. I don't have an international call plan so it will cost an arm and a leg.
Matt - I don't really feel comfortable glueing it back in myself, basically because I shouldn't have to. I just spent like $130 for a brush and it broke in under 2 weeks.

I absolutely love the handle (shavemac LE groupbuy i'm talking about), it fits my hand perfectly, however I now somewhat feel that I want to just return it and get my money back for a rooney or simpson or a custom from Dan. How long should I give before I call him?

I am really bummed.
Max - calling him is a final try to get in contact with him. I don't have an international call plan so it will cost an arm and a leg.
Matt - I don't really feel comfortable glueing it back in myself, basically because I shouldn't have to. I just spent like $130 for a brush and it broke in under 2 weeks.

I absolutely love the handle (shavemac LE groupbuy i'm talking about), it fits my hand perfectly, however I now somewhat feel that I want to just return it and get my money back for a rooney or simpson or a custom from Dan. How long should I give before I call him?

I had the same problem with my Shavemac. Bernd offered to repair or replace it, he but also suggested that it's a simple process to reglue it. I decided to reglue it as the shipping time and cost from Australia to Germany and back didn't seem worth it.

Personally, I will continue to do business with Bernd. Even with the best manufacturers things occasionally go wrong (come unstuck?). Bern stands behind his products. And, if from time to time he gets swamped by his workload and is a little late in responding to emails, when I weigh that up against the many attributes of his products and his manner of doing business, the scales tip very strongly in his favor.

Cheers

Jeremy

This is the email I received from Bernd:

Hello Jeremy,

thank you for your willingness to make a try of fixing the knot in the handle.

If you have a small bottle of the super glue, or a little tube, apply
2-3 mm strong line on the inside of the metal cup.
Completely 360 degrees. Then put the knot inside the cup till it goes any further. Then turn the brush up side down and hold it for a little time.
Watch and the spot where the bristles meet the metal cup. If some of glue runs out, turn the brush back in the upside position. After a short moment bring the brush back to the upside down position.
The brush should be hold in the up side down position at all for about one minute. Then the glue should be firm enough.

You must have any concern. If it will not work I say THANK YOU for the try and send you a new one.

Best Regards. Bernd Blos

I only feel that way because I did not expect it to happen. Bernd was a great guy, he sent my brush next-day, while I chose standard shipping. I will wait to see what he says before I attempt anything.

I hope you get your problem fixed. I don't own this brand but I imagine it can happen with any brand name.

How long is a shaving brush supposed to last on average?

For the amount of times it gets swirled around, and if it is glued together, should I expect my brush to last a year or so?

I don't know if I can go the time it takes to send to Bernd then back to me, although I do have proraso which is technically no brush necessary if I am correct. I somewhat feel like getting another brush in the mean time, and seeing which I like better once I get the brush back from Bernd, then throw the other up here on the BST. Anyone with any suggestions? I have not tried any soaps, so I am sticking for creams now, but would also want something that will do well on soaps too. My price range is to about $130.

Is this the first sign of SBAD?
Dave

Meh, for me the time it takes to place a couple of drops of superglue and glue the knot back on outways the time it takes for shipping and sending. However, you did drop afew pennies on it so if you don't mind the wait get your money back.
Ernest

I guess I will wait. Maybe I will ask him for the shorter loft this time, or see if he can make it fan shaped for me.

Besides preference, can someone point me to the differences in fan and bulb shaped knots. Does one do better than the other? Thanks

How long is a shaving brush supposed to last on average?

For the amount of times it gets swirled around, and if it is glued together, should I expect my brush to last a year or so?

My brush ( I believe a C&E BBB) has lasted for nearly 20 years. I recieved it as a gift from my father when I turned 15.

Doug

Well, I think I have decided that in the mean time of getting hold of Bernd, I am going to purchase a chubby 1 and see how I like it compared to the shavemac, I will then sell the lesser of my liking.

Has ANYONE gotten a response from Bernd in the past week or two? I really don't want to call, but I will if absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom