What's new

Hendu's Shave Den!!!

Ok, I’ve posted in a few other threads at various times that I was needing some more room for shaving acquisitions. Originally, when I first joined the forum, I was blown away that people needed to create storage space for shaving products. Especially since, at the time, everything I owned would fit nicely in the standard medicine cabinet in our front bathroom. Well, I finally broke down and built a “Shave Den” for my shaving equipment. I have a couple of things that I need to do to it still, like trimming the excess hinge from the top and bottom of the cabinet. I purchased the hinge to fit the door, forgetting that I actually built the door to be larger than the cabinet. I may adjust the shelf heights at some point but this will work for now. Now my wife wants me to build one twice this size to go in the master bathroom, which I rarely use because she has so much “stuff” in there. This one is constructed of Red Oak and i’ll most likely use a lower cost wood to build the next one. The original cabinet was only 4 inches deep and this one is 8. I also extended the bottom of the cabinet downward along the wall to add some extra “shallow” space. I would have liked to increase the height and width of the unit, but from a previous project on the other side of this wall, I knew there was electrical wire running on all four sides of the 2x4 that were installed for the original cabinet. I didn’t really feel like messing with all that. For the other bathroom electrical wires won’t be an issue, so I may just install a “walk-in” medicine cabinet. LOL. Anyways, here’s a few pics of the before, during construction and after. Let me know what you think. My apologies in advance for so many pics.

full

full

These are the before shots. Cabinet full and spilling out onto the counter.

full

full

full

my oldest son wanted in on the action to. lol

full

full

full

finally starting to take shape. This is when my wife started to understand what I was actually building.

full

full

full

had to set it in the boat to dry, so with this pic you also get a glimpse of the duck boat I've been working on rigging up. Ok, back to shaving.

full

full

and this is my youngest son getting in the pic. I still need to install the outside trim but I couldn't resist posting how it was coming thus far. My Thanksgiving was spent having Thanksgiving dinner, then over the next three days cooking ribs, smoking a brisket and working on this in the garage. Great Thanksgiving weekend. Once I get the trim finished and my shaving gear inside i'll take the final couple of pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, Chris! What are your plans for the next cabinet? You know you will need a larger one eventually...admit it...

Thanks guys. Even though I have plenty of room for now in this one, the cabinet that I build to go in the master bathroom will definitely be wider. I'm thinking maybe a foot wider with double doors. ahh, a new project.....

Nice work, Chris! Really liked the way you have extended the height of the cabinet. Now all you have to do is get more shaving goodies to fill up the extra space.

Here's a couple of pics with the door closed and with my gear inside. Gonna finish up the trim this weekend. Holds everything nicely and still has room to rearrange to hold even more.:wink2:

full

full

I hate to say this, but my AD sense is warning me you are going to be spilling onto the counter in no time :rolleyes:

Those are lovely glass soap dishes, by the way...

Chris - very nice project! Also, I like the cordless nailgun! :biggrin:

Thanks. And I love the nailgun! I didn't want to spend the money getting a compressor and a nailgun so I searched the net and found this one. The main reason I bought it was because we had just moved into our house and needed to do some work on the kids rooms. My wife wanted to install chair rails in the their rooms and it was all the excuse I needed to buy a new toy.

I hate to say this, but my AD sense is warning me you are going to be spilling onto the counter in no time :rolleyes:

Those are lovely glass soap dishes, by the way...

The glass dishes take up some room but I really dig them. And as far as spilling onto the counter again is concerned. My wife asked me last night what I was going to do when I had too much shaving stuff to fit in this one! uh...mmm...uh.....sounds like an invitation to buy more shaving gear to me.:eek: I told her I would remove a portion of the counter and build a floor to ceiling shaving storage closet. :rolleyes: (she just walked away at that point):biggrin:

Sweet, Nice use of the space you have there. I've been looking at older cabnets,hutches and what have you that might fit into my bathroom...

Finally got all the trim up. Really makes it complete. The plan as of early last week, was to jump into making one for the other bathroom, but we decided to give the kids in my youngest sons day-care class a framed, class picture. I'm making all the frames and my wife will be painting and decorating them in a Christmas theme. There's 30 kids in his class and this past weekend I completed 15 frames. Only 15 more to go :scared: possibly next weekend get started on the cabinet.

full

full

full

Top Bottom