What's new

Laptop Storage ideas

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a laptop that I use for small jobs which sits next to my NAS, TV, and Modem/Gateway. It is connected to the ethernet there.
The cabinet top it sits on has storage underneath (which is fully utilized with my NAS and my UPS) with doors. Sort of like the base cabinets in a kitchen but at desk height.
It is very uncomfortable to work on because the doors of the cabinet that protect what is inside prevents one from working at the laptop because there is no knee space.
Storage solutions I have seen for laptop stowage are all "under the desk" slide out type. This won't work, as the cabinet prevents anything from being installed under the top. The doors for one, the storage of the NAS and the UPS for another.
I'm curious if anyone has seen a type of countertop type slide out for a laptop that would sit on TOP of the cabinet, with the laptop on it.
When work needed to be done, the laptop could be slid out on the slider and allow for knee space.
When done, the laptop could be slid back to it's at rest position.

Essentially going from a stowed position in the first pic, to the at use position in the second pic, and then back to stowed when done.
I could make one easily enough I suppose, but I'm looking for an already designed, store bought solution if possible. If that fails, I'll go ahead and design and make one.

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Could you utilize one of those bolt-on desk-mount tray thingies along the back edge of the cabinet. Those articulating arm devices which are sometimes used to support a flatscreen monitor or keyboard tray at various heights and angles around one's desk.

Not that I would have a good ready made suggestion, but did you care if something was screwed down to the cabinet top to support the laptop's weight, or should it be back weighted for counterbalance, or perhaps bolted to the wall behind for support to avoid damaging the top?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Do you have enough room between the cabinet doors and the desktop to add something similar to a pullout cutting board you could set the computer on while working? Other than that it looks like this or something similar would be the off the shelf solution. https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Reader-2TSLIDE-BRN-Keyboard-Notebooks/dp/B0856WR7YQ/ref=sr_1_3?
Cheers! That would be perfect! Thank you!
I can put the laptop/docking station on top, and use an external keyboard (I have several spares) on the slide out!
How about your lap for that laptop?
It's attached to a docking station, so that won't work!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Handyman special make your own!

Get a couple of those rollers/sliders used in kitchen cabinetry.
1706136725567.png

But instead of connecting between the inside of the cabinet and a drawer, you firmly connect two chunks of wood to the top of the cabinet, connect the rollers on the "inside" side of each, with a flat tray connected between them.

How about your lap for that laptop?

It's attached to a docking station, so that won't work!

That must make sitting down and standing back up a pain in the @$$.

Top Bottom