What's new

DIY A Wall Blade Slot

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Many buildings built before the 1970's often have "blade slots" in the walls of medicine cabinets/bathrooms to dispose of razor blades - I've always found this history interesting and wished I had a blade slot for decoration My shave den.
But I live in a concrete building with solid walls, so I don't really need the blade slot, and it's hard to convince myself to buy one.

That being the case, I decided to make my own.
The materials are empty beer cans and simple tools are used. I literally cut a slit in the middle can be put the blade in.

↓This is just a temporary photo on the wall, I will actually install the magnets and put it on the cabinet as a decoration.
357104437_978419843360591_8610315417253805639_n.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for reading.

ERS4

Question is, how many can it hold?
This thing itself is not a container, it is just a decorative board.
The real container is the wall, so the capacity depends on the space inside your wall.

Many people in the past even just sawed a slit in the wall and medicine cabinet to ditch the blade.
Those who are more particular will use ceramics or metal to make decorative panels.
If you later want to redecorate and destroy the wall, the spilled blades can cause some trouble.↓
Seen Around Town: Razor Blade Bank Slot | IS Architecture - https://isarchitecture.com/seen-around-town-mid-century-blade-bank-slot/

Maggard products also have good instructions.
Maggard Razors Blade Bank Used Blades Lifetime Wall Slot - https://maggardrazors.com/products/maggard-razors-blade-bank-used-blades-lifetime-wall-slot?fbclid=IwAR1L0aiU9eziVHGPjIxy2s44vDfD06ZtYjzLFeVxgD_gZFDAkARWUixRIeM

So I'm not going to dig a hole one my wall, nor drop the blades in this thing, just keep it as decoration.
Of course, if necessary, it can also be attached to the metal piggy bank, and it will quickly become a blade bank with a sense of exclusivity :)

Last edited:

ERS4

A second, thinner version with soft magnets was made.

This allows me to place randomly on the metal cans with the holes cut, quickly personalize the blade bank, and pass on the history of the wall blade slot.

Of course, it is ok to stick it purely on the metal cabinet as decoration.
IMG_20230727_194419.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I use old drink cans. Cut a slot beginning on the can's opening. Done.

Modern walls have Nomex wiring inside. Old walls did not, being usually surface mount wiring and outlets (if they even had more than an overhead light). Blades dropping past slicing thru the insulation scares me some. If there is a short, then you'll be yanking the wall apart to fix it. Blade shorts, breaker trips, but the blade welds in place before it does......

Stan

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A second, thinner version with soft magnets was made.

This allows me to place randomly on the metal cans with the holes cut, quickly personalize the blade bank, and pass on the history of the wall blade slot.

Of course, it is ok to stick it purely on the metal cabinet as decoration.
View attachment 1692644
ERS4:
This is my medicine cabinet w/ blade slot (used Gorilla Glue), just for decoration...I like looking at it everyday (the Mrs. [who must be obeyed mind you] told me..."Fine, but no demo and/or construction".
1700006641032.gif

My Medicine Cabniet.jpg

attachment.php
"The [medicine cabinet] is a pure spring from which all thirsty souls may drink”. Khalil Gibran

ERS4

ERS4:
This is my medicine cabinet w/ blade slot (used Gorilla Glue), just for decoration...I like looking at it everyday (the Mrs. [who must be obeyed mind you] told me..."Fine, but no demo and/or construction". View attachment 1748582

View attachment 1748559

attachment.php
"The [medicine cabinet] is a pure spring from which all thirsty souls may drink”. Khalil Gibran
Yes, I originally hoped to buy one like this.
It's just that I live far away in Asia, and the shipping cost may exceed the selling price.
Congratulations on having some beautiful shaving items in your medicine cabinet.

I think there can be a happy medium. I'm not in love with just dropping blades into never never Land.

A recessed box that can be pulled in via spring clamps or bended wires kind of like a ceiling fan grate could work. Or, a spare electrical receptacle. I think the second option is the best.

The electrical receptacle would get mounted to your framing. You need the framing anyways for the medicine cabinet. Cut a hole in the back of the medicine cabinet. You would use the screws of the electrical receptacle to fasten it in place. Then you would just need The faceplate, which can be stamped metal or anything that you choose. If the faceplate is metal You can use small magnets smaller than the size of thumbtacks to hold it in place either to the metal ears of the electrical receptacle or on the corners if it is a metal vanity.

As far as the concrete walls I can't help you there. That would definitely take some drilling

Top Bottom