What's new

Blind shaving - your senses

A good friend of mine has been blind since birth. I recently met him for lunch and he noticed a hint of my C&E Sandalwood shave cream. He has a heavy beard and always looks clean shaven. We got on the subject of shaving and I told him that I had been wet shaving with my Father's DE for about two months now. I asked him how he shaved. He told me that shaving was one of his greatest pleasures in life. He uses an older Gillette slim adjustable, a Simpson badger brush and has an assortment of shaving creams. He said that shaving heightens his senses of touch, smell and sound. He told me I should try shaving in the dark. More by feel and less by sight. I haven't tried it yet but I think he has a point here. In this over stimulated world of high tech, must stay in touch gizmos, I have found shaving to be a very relaxing pleasure.

Thanks for sharing this. It confirms the sensual aspect of our hobby, which is clearly there for your friend.

jim

When I sometimes shave in the shower without a mirror it is similar. But I can choose to use a mirror or not. Good for your friend.

This is probably a very good way for beginners to really get a feel for the angle of the blade against their faces, and the position of their hands.

It could also enhance the pleasure of a hot wet blade against your face, and the scent of a great shaving cream surrounding you.

I used to shave by feel, when I was in the Army and out in the field -- either I'd managed to forget my pocket mirror, or it was "0-dark-30" and a mirror wouldn't have been much help.

As I recall, it wasn't easy at first, but I got better at it (Gillette Trac II and a can of their "The Hot One").

Smooth shaving!

Thanks for sharing! I have a feeling that even without the sense of sight, your friend can probably shave better than most of us, let alone the rest of the population!

I think a lot of us put more faith in what we see rather than what we feel, and not just in regard to shaving.

When I lived in North Carolina, the bathroom was connected to our master bedroom. So I woudn't wake up my wife at 4:30 in the morning, I would shower and shave (in the shower) in the dark. Since that was the only bathroom with a shower, I would finish up there and head to the powder room on the 1st floor to get dressed finish up. I remember getting the best shaves by feel alone.

Thanks for sharing! I have a feeling that even without the sense of sight, your friend can probably shave better than most of us, let alone the rest of the population!

I think a lot of us put more faith in what we see rather than what we feel, and not just in regard to shaving.

Well put Matt.

Every so often I'll end up shaving with my eyes closed, but I have a finger of the other hand feeling the way. It's also a great way for identifying ATG.

Thanks for sharing this. I have often wondered about this since my return to DE shaving. I have shaved many places other than a well lite bathroom but never in complete darkness.
I don't think the shaving part would be as hard as building a good lather.

This is an interesting idea...
reminds me of Blindekuh (Blind Cow) a Swiss restaurant I heard about on NPR a few years ago. Run by the Blind society of Switzerland, it is in complete darkness and staffed by blind waiters.

They do the chopping and prep blind, so a DE shave would be no sweat!

At home, I have the luxury of a mirror in the shower. However, when I travel, that luxury doesn't exist. I have no problems shaving by touch/feel. The first time with a DE was a bit scary but after that, it has been smooth and might I even add, Zen-like.

Great story! Makes whatever obstacles I have in pursuit of a nice shave seem pretty trivial.

I recall on one of Bill Cosby's comedy records, there was a bit where he went to call on Ray Charles, and cautioned Ray against shaving in the dark even as he realized that he was making an *** of himself.

wow that is so badass, i would never try it though, unless i didnt have a choice =p

A good friend of mine has been blind since birth. I recently met him for lunch and he noticed a hint of my C&E Sandalwood shave cream. He has a heavy beard and always looks clean shaven. We got on the subject of shaving and I told him that I had been wet shaving with my Father's DE for about two months now. I asked him how he shaved. He told me that shaving was one of his greatest pleasures in life. He uses an older Gillette slim adjustable, a Simpson badger brush and has an assortment of shaving creams. He said that shaving heightens his senses of touch, smell and sound. He told me I should try shaving in the dark. More by feel and less by sight. I haven't tried it yet but I think he has a point here. In this over stimulated world of high tech, must stay in touch gizmos, I have found shaving to be a very relaxing pleasure.

Top Bottom