What's new

1947 vs 1948 Super Speed shaveability

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've seen lots of discussion around the notch/no notch difference between the 1947 and 1948 SS razors, but what about the actual shave? Many refer to the 1940's style as all providing the same shave regardless of whether it is a notch or no notch version.

I made some observations of the two this morning and noticed that there was a slight difference in the blade exposure but can't exactly quantify what that difference is. So after a good shave prep I used the 1947 for the first time. I was always happy with the notched version but I believe the no notch model was a better performer. It's difficult to say after just one shave. I will give it a few more tries and try to nail this thing down.

I think the blade angle may be more optimal with the 1947 no notch version. I say that because even with a cheap Walmart ASR persona I got an absoposilutely fantabulous shave.

Has anyone else done a head to head comparison of these two great razors? And is there a noticeable difference or do you think it is just my imagination?

Interesting note about the good shave from the Wal-Mart ASR blades. I recently got one of my best ever shaves from a Wal-Mart ASR blade in a Gillette Tech razor. I believe the razor is a 1958 model. It is the only razor that I own that seems to really like the ASR blades. A couple of others are passable, but I consistantly get very good and comfortable shaves from this combo... :shaving:

Old Saw,
I'd be interested to hear how this comparison plays out. The 47' Super Speed is about the only SS missing from my collection. I really like the shaving ability of the 48'-49s'. Ive just picked up a mint 48' with box, blades and papers.
The instructions show the "new" notch and also the new red plastic case and white dispenser pack of blue blades.(very patriotic).

The Super Speeds remain a favorite with me....

Old Saw,
I'd be interested to hear how this comparison plays out. The 47' Super Speed is about the only SS missing from my collection. I really like the shaving ability of the 48'-49s'. Ive just picked up a mint 48' with box, blades and papers.
The instructions show the "new" notch and also the new red plastic case and white dispenser pack of blue blades.(very patriotic).

First you see an 1947 no notched Superspeed. Second an 1948 notched Superspeed.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Old Saw,

I did a quick two pass shave this morning with the 1947 and was pleased with the result. The blade was a Gillette Nacet that I picked up in Malta. The early indication is that there is a slight difference, but unless you compare them head to head, (1 week with one then 1 week with the other, or something like that), you really won't notice. One other early indication is that it probably falls into the "doesn't matter" category, since I get great shaves with both.

I did a quick two pass shave this morning with the 1947 and was pleased with the result. The blade was a Gillette Nacet that I picked up in Malta. The early indication is that there is a slight difference, but unless you compare them head to head, (1 week with one then 1 week with the other, or something like that), you really won't notice. One other early indication is that it probably falls into the "doesn't matter" category, since I get great shaves with both.

Thanks for the update, I figured that there wouldn't be a big difference if any at all. I'd still like to have a 47' for the collection though. I used a 57' Super Speed this AM and while it delivered a fine shave it did fall short of my 58' Fatboy....

First you see an 1947 no notched Superspeed. Second an 1948 notched Superspeed.

Thanks. I have finally know the year of my late 1940's razor, a 1948 model. :biggrin:

I haven't used it for a while and forgot it is on the aggressive side. Got too used to the Techs.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I finished a week of using the 1947 SS and will start a week of using the 1948 to see if the difference is noteworthy.

I will continue with my recent technique of completing the first two passes with my 1962 Slim adjustable and then doing the final pass and any touch up with the SS. This has really improved the comfort of my final passes, by ensuring that the blade is at its sharpest when I need it most.

So far, I think the ATG passes have been easier with the 1947, but will hold off my final analysis until I have had a week using the 1948 in the same way.

V

VR6ofpain

It looks like this has the center bar of the 47 Super Speed, but it is a ranger tech. Did all have this same center bar design or just some...or are my eyes fooling me?

proxy.php

I finished a week of using the 1947 SS and will start a week of using the 1948 to see if the difference is noteworthy.

I will continue with my recent technique of completing the first two passes with my 1962 Slim adjustable and then doing the final pass and any touch up with the SS. This has really improved the comfort of my final passes, by ensuring that the blade is at its sharpest when I need it most.

So far, I think the ATG passes have been easier with the 1947, but will hold off my final analysis until I have had a week using the 1948 in the same way.

Nothing like a 9 year old thread bump. I'm interested in if you ever completed this [MENTION=1083]OldSaw[/MENTION], and what the results were.

Though I'm sure you barely remember this by now. Haha.

Top Bottom