What's new

Feinster Silver Steel razor

I'm back with another str8 I got thanks to my grandfather.
He got the razor from a friend. It belonged to his friends grandfather.

The inscriptions on the blade say : Feinster Silber Stahl (silver steel)
The inscriptions on the shank on one side say : 36 Kreuz Schild (Cross Shield)
Could it be of Swiss making ?
The inscriptions on the shank on the other side say : Frico II Stahlwaren, Paul Stratmann, Solingen.

My quest for a new razor is over, I'm thinking about using the 2 razors my grandfather found (Colibri & Feinster)

(BTW my grandfather got it for free)

What's your opinion about this str8 ?

Another gorgeous razor. I don't know anything about the brand, but I think I need to become buddies with your grandfather!

F

firebox

Give me my new grandfather's address and phone number. I feel the need for a new razor.

From the inscription on the tang it was made in Solingen, Germany. It also looks to be in very good condition. It should hone nicely. Great looking razor.

Raf

Hi -

The tang inscription, though literally taken as 'Cross Shield' is applied to the Swedish Cross. This is a Solingen-made razor produced from Swedish steel (a very good steel, by the way, and it still is). Solingen makers used Swedish, German and particularly English Sheffield steel to make razors from the middle of the 18C. - possibly before. The mark of 'Solingen' is only allowed to be stamped on razors actually made there (a bit like 'Champagne' being only being made in that area, despite being merely a sparkling white wine). Solingen is a trade name, and only cutlery products produced and totally finished in Solingen may bear the name, though the raw product - in this case steel blanks - come from elsewhere.

Therefore a pretty good razor! :c6:

Top Bottom