What's new

Head Shaving

I am old hat at Wetshaving. But with the baldness getting more complete each year..(I'm 45) I would be a newbie to head shaving.

Would it be better to use a DE for this purpose, or would something like headblade be my best choice if I decided to go that route?
I already use a Wahl Clipper with a number 2 comb weakly. Would taking it down to just the simple guard be the best option?

I have a fairly sensitive neck but my cheeks seem fairly durable. Is shaving the head as prone to sensitive reactions or is it more forgiving?

Not sure if I am going to do this, but would to know just in case.

Also should the gel designed for headshaving be used or can I use the same soaps and creams with a brush?

I am old hat at Wetshaving. But with the baldness getting more complete each year..(I'm 45) I would be a newbie to head shaving.

Would it be better to use a DE for this purpose, or would something like headblade be my best choice if I decided to go that route?
I already use a Wahl Clipper with a number 2 comb weakly. Would taking it down to just the simple guard be the best option?

I have a fairly sensitive neck but my cheeks seem fairly durable. Is shaving the head as prone to sensitive reactions or is it more forgiving?

Also should the gel designed for headshaving be used or can I use the same soaps and creams with a brush?

Laney, the way I started was to take the Wahl and I cut close as it could go. Then (I know this us heresy to some) I took an electric razor such as a rotary razor and got closer. For a time this is how I went. I was shaving with the rotary daily until I picked up on wet-shaving. Now, I have ditched the rotary electric and use a Trac II or Atra equivalent daily which has a more forgiving profile than DE. This should help on your sensitive skin as well by providing a higher level of control over blade angle.

I tried the gels, but I prefer the same creams and soaps as used on the face far better.

Good fortune.

Laney, the way I started was to take the Wahl and I cut close as it could go. Then (I know this us heresy to some) I took an electric razor such as a rotary razor and got closer. For a time this is how I went. I was shaving with the rotary daily until I picked up on wet-shaving. Now, I have ditched the rotary electric and use a Trac II or Atra equivalent daily which has a more forgiving profile than DE. This should help on your sensitive skin as well by providing a higher level of control over blade angle.

I tried the gels, but I prefer the same creams and soaps as used on the face far better.

Good fortune.

I did pretty much the same thing, except as cart razor I used the Sensor or Mach3. Now I use my DE for the head.

I do think that for the head it's a good idea to use a cartridge razor before you move to a DE. (Or simply stay with the cartridges if you like them.) The reason is that you can't see the back of your head easily, even if you use double mirrors, and it takes time for your hands to learn the contours of your head. A cartridge razor with a pivoting head made this stage of the game much easier for me. YMMV, of course.

I use Headblade for this purpose. I haven't quite figured out DE on my face, the one time I tried it on my head it was pretty bad.

I use the Knock-off Atra blades from Wal-mart in my Headblade.

If you've master the use of a DE on your face you could probably be able to shave your head with one too.
I wouldn't start out using a DE, your head can be rather tender at first, it not used to being shaved.
You need to let your head toughen up for a month or so before you go at it with a DE.

I use an Atra to shave my head with very good results, I never really liked that head blade contraption. As for soap I use the same as what's loaded on my brush for my face.

I have been using a DE for my head since about July and will not go back to using anything else. I get a closer shave now than I have ever before (carts on my head for about the past 10 years). The main thing to remember - Take Your Time. The area of you head (in terms of measurement) is at least twice that of your face, if it takes 10 mins to shave your face don't be surprised if it takes 20 mins to shave your head.

The major factor for me not to use carts on my head anymore is that I no longer get bumps on the back of my neck since using DE exclusively, nice and smooth all the time now.

I used to shave my head every day but now i can't be bothered so it gets done maybe twice a week.
Take the hair down with clippers if too long, just clip it with the guard off, then I use a Mach 3. I have used a DE but it takes too long, bit like face shaving with one.
I shave on an evening now so i can actually enjoy my shave and take my time, i DE shaving really relaxing. The head takes a bit longer with a DE though so i just use a Mach 3 for that ;)

I used a set of clippers with lower guards, until I eventually was just using the razor without a guard. When I started shaving it, I used a Headblade. Once you get the Headblade technique down, it gives a fast and smooth shave. For the few months, I have been using my DEs to shave my head. Takes a bit longer but I've now eliminated all cartridges from my house.

If you have been using a DE for some time, give it a try on your head. It won't take too long to get the hang of it.

N

NoelyDeezNutz

I have a short mohawk, and I started shaving the sides with my straight.

You can use the same blade and gear you use for you face for your head .
In my case I use a straight razor but you can use a DE the trick is take a hot shower wash and when you are shaving your head dont let the skin get dry , keep lubricate with the brush (from time to time pass the shaving brush full of soap or cream.

The main thing to remember - Take Your Time. The area of you head (in terms of measurement) is at least twice that of your face, if it takes 10 mins to shave your face don't be surprised if it takes 20 mins to shave your head.

+1

If it's your first time shaving your head I would recommend starting w/ a cartridge razor. It will seem a little awkward at first but before you know it you'll be a pro.
Then switch to a DE. It will be awkward, but once again, given a little time you'll master it.

What I like about using the DE on my head, it doesn't fill up w/ hair as fast if I happen to go a few extra days between shaves. Of course, if its too long, I'll take my clippers w/ no guard to it first.

Personally, I find my head is much more forgiving than my face. I think you'll find its very easy to get a good shave on it once you put some time into it.

Faceturbation doesn't hold a cancle to Headturbation.
Did I just say that? :001_unsur

Use whatever you like, can, cream, or soap. My preference is the slickness of soap.

I use a Headblade with the Walmart Wilkinson Atra/TracII carts. For cream I use either the Headslick cream or lately this winter I have started to use C.O. Bigelow (Proraso). Generally just use it brushless as I shave my head in the shower but have used both with a brush with good results too.

Tried the DE but just took too long and was akward for me. The Headblade works great once you get used to it and is very quick. Before the Headblade I used a Mach3 but that was getting too costly as cartridges only last 4 days or so for me. $0.35 Atra clones vs. $2+ Mach3 made the switch to the Headblade an easy decision.

Before I started shaving my head, I was using a clipper with no comb. That left the equivalent of about one day's beard growth. I didn't really like that look on myself, so I started shaving my head. Obviously, you can try it for yourself. If you like that look, it is probably lower maintenance.

Since you are already comfortable shaving with a DE, I think you won't have any problems using one on your head.

I find that my head is significantly more forgiving than my cheeks and neck. I think this is because there bone not far under the skin there, the shaving surface is less stretchy/pliable. I am sure this is a YMMV thing.

I use the same soap/cream lather on my head and face. I tried Bald Guyz shaving gel, and it's not bad, but it's nothing special either.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I shave the top of my head daily. For my face I moved from a DE to shaving with a straight a year ago. Over the last year I've transitioned from using a cartridge, to using my Mercur 38C . . . and finally to using a straight razor on my head. It takes a bit but you do learn that "touch" that it takes to feel as comfortable shaving anything with a straight by feel as you did with a DE or cartridge.

I find my head less sensitive than my face.

Have fun.

I have found a long handle DE to be the best for headshaving, better control and easier to maintain a good blade angle. The longest razor I have is a Big Fellow. The Lady gillette makes a pretty good headshaver as well. I took it a step further and made a very long handle Slant. I'll see if I can find the thread w/pics from a few months back.

Top Bottom