What's new

Old Types, help please

Ok so I thought the RAD had ended and then I found these today...

I believe the first is a Silver Big Fellow as the handle is about a 1/2in longer than my Ball End New and it weighs alot more. Underside has Gillette Diamond and Made in USA. Inside blade tray is attached to handle, is flat, and has Ser# 388052A. Lower Handle says Pat Jan 13 1920.
View attachment 141281

Second looks like my Ball End New but seems to be silver and has an Old Type head I think. Underside of head has Gillette Diamond and Made in USA, can't find any serial number and no markings on handle.
View attachment 141282

Anything anyone can tell me would be great!

Also if someone can point me to the aluminum foil thread to clean silver razors. And is Weimans Silver Polish from walmart ok to use after I clean them up?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Last edited:
Thanks!

I actually googled it, turns out its not some super secret B&B thing. I think I narrowed them down. I think the first one is a New Improved Big Fellow, The second is I think a Brownie. I worked on the Big Fellow tonight, when I can grab the digicam tomorrow I will post a after pic, its shiny and luckily silver is the color I prefer over gold! Still if anyone can confirm that I got them right it would be great! TIA!

Jay

Last edited:
Dunno about the Old, but the Improved BF is one of my all time favorite razors. One shave and you will know why!!

o

Ok here is the Big Fellow all cleaned up, except for this mornings soap.:lol: It is a really nice shaver! I have a Long Comb New and it seemed too aggressive, I thought the BF would be the same but it seems a teeny bit milder. Probably not a daily shaver for me as I like my pre-war Tech for that but I could see when you have a couple days growth this would be a helluva whisker wacker! Maybe I'll skip a couple days and see. Well on to the pic, enjoy...

Jay

I cleaned it with the baking soda and foil trick I think 3 times 1st dip removed about 80% of the tarnish, 2nd & 3rd did maybe another 5% total. After that I just used Weiman silver polish cream I got at wally world, about 3 coat & buffs. There are some black spots spots still in the knurling but I am afraid to do much more for fear of removing plating. Oddly I had to use a regular metal polish on the removable top plate as it would not brighten past a cetain point with the silver polish. I think that parts plating may be a nickel/silver mix or silver over nickel. Hope that helps!

Jay

Top Bottom