What's new

OLD TYPE HELP

! received an old type thin top and base plate today, but unfortunately the top plate is bent. Bottom and handle are good so looking to source a new top plate. Will a thick Gillette top plate work with this thin baseplate? My Merkur 41c top plate fits perfectly, but I don't want to mix in Zamak parts on this old razor.

Last edited:
Yes, another old type top cap will work. Thin or thick will work, they're interchangeable.

Some will likely chime in with the subtle differences in shave experience between them, but I can't really tell a difference personally.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Any chance of a photo or two? We loves our photos.
He's posted pics in two other threads already! It's a dangerous face ripper.
Check here Andrew:

He's posted pics in two other threads already! It's a dangerous face ripper.
Check here Andrew:
Thanks Nemo. Was just thinking I should’ve kept the questions going on the other thread. Sorry! Newbie and overly excited with the new hobby. I hope it’s not a face ripper!

The caps are interchangeable. The later caps are thicker. Caps from other razors can sometimes be used, but will change the geometry a bit. Blade exposure may change slightly. Thicker caps will tend to make the razor feel a bit milder. With care, you will still get a close shave.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I hope it’s not a face ripper!
With that bent top cap it would be.

Here's a silver plated thin next to a thick gold one.

oldtypes.JPG

edit: couple of others

old types.JPG

With that bent top cap it would be.

Here's a silver plated thin next to a thick gold one.

View attachment 1754147

Ah I see what you're saying. Yea no way I was even going to attempt to shave with that top plate. I don't know if the one I have is thick or thin, but I'm going to replace it with a thick one in hopes that it's tougher. Thanks Nemo!

The caps are interchangeable. The later caps are thicker. Caps from other razors can sometimes be used, but will change the geometry a bit. Blade exposure may change slightly. Thicker caps will tend to make the razor feel a bit milder. With care, you will still get a close shave.
Yea I put the Merkur 41c cap on there and it fits perfectly and definitely changes the geometry. Thanks!

Top Bottom