What's new

Newbies forget BBS....How about the basics 1st.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hello all you newbies out there,

I would like to address the multitude of posts that seem to be aimed toward a BBS shave.

1st off BBS is overrated if you strive for BBS every time you are setting yourself up for discouragement and failure. Your first goal just needs to be getting used to an entirely new regime in shaving. Here is how after learning from my own mistakes will help you proceed.

First off is making a good lather. It will take a lot of practice, but your efforts will be well rewarded in the long run. Check this WIKI out. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers You can practice your technique shaving all day but if your lather sucks so will your shave. Don't be afraid to shave with your cartridge while perfecting your lather. Your brush is also an important choice. I started with an inexpensive Omega Boar and got along fine with it. I now use Best Badger. There is about a $100.00 difference between them. You do not have to break the bank to make decent lather. Take a look here, and explore all the tutorials within. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Shave_Brushes

After you are getting good lather it is time to break out that DE. Do you have a blade sampler pack? If not it is a very worthwhile investment. Everyones face is different, so a blade I am in love with may be horrible for you. There are a lot of good sites on here to get blade samplers, my favorite is WCS.http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ but there are a lot to choose from. Spend a few days with each blade. Keep a log of how that blade performed. Then switch to the next blade in your sampler, again keep a log. You will find as your technique improves so will your choice in blades. With good records you will know why you hated a blade to start with and love it now, or vice versa. You will get a lot of advice on what blade to use. Only your face can tell you what works and what does not.

When using your DE for the first time remember the golden rule.... absolutely no pressure on the razor. The weight of the razor against your face is all you need. Before you start shaving mapping the growth of your beard is a great idea. Especially on your neck and jawline. With a days growth wet your face and run your finger across your stubble you can feel how the hair grows. I have also used a cotton ball. It will leave fuzz on your face when rubbing it against the grain. For your 1st few shaves I recommend a single pass WTG. Here is a good thread on razor angle.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130110 also watch Mantic59s videos on youtube. The goal of shaving with a DE is gradual beard reduction. If you try to do a 3 pass shave and go for BBS you will end up with a ton of irritation. (Both you and your face.) Your face and beard are learning a new technique have patience. Once you have mastered the single pass add a 2nd XTG. First pass with the grain, second pass across the grain. You should now notice more of a beard reduction. Once you are used to that and not getting any irritation, if necessary add a third pass. My third is usually ATG, this is the one most likely to cause irritation if your technique or lather is not yet perfected. If it causes irritation skip it for now, if needed you can do a third pass XTG in the opposite direction. If you have mapped your beard you will know what direction to go for WTG, XTG, and ATG. At this point you should be achieving a SAS. There are a lot of other techniques you can work on later to get a closer shave. Do not even worry about them at this point. This entire process takes weeks to months to master. Don't get frustrated if you do not get a decent shave for a while. I am not sure but I do not believe there are any rules stating you can not use your cartridge for a bit of clean up. :tongue_sm.

So in summary:

1. Make a good lather.
2. Use a blade sampler pack.
3. Absolutely no pressure on the razor.
4. Practice you blade angle.
5. Stick with a single pass WTG until you and your face are ready to move on.

Is a BBS attainable, heck yes. Is it worth worrying about heck no. Slow down and enjoy the shave. You will be much happier with the results.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Except for #2 in the summary , the same applies to straights as well! (althought blade sampler could equate to having >1 straight).

Remember - only you can tell that your shave isn't a technically perfect BBS, but everyone in the room can see the cuts, bumps, redness and irritation all over your face!

As an "old" newbie, I quite agree to take my time to perfect my technique. Waiting for a blade sampler pack as I write.

Thx, Scott.

:eek:)
Perkus

Words of wisdom right here. Newbies, read this before you take a sharp piece of metal to your face in ignorance. You'll be glad you did.

I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, and I still have to remind myself on occasion.

I had a reminder of this very thing the other night....small patch of burn on my neck :blush:

This is a great thread, because when I first started it was all about attaining the coveted BBS. What I realized is that I don't always need to be BBS, so I don't always do an ATG pass. For some occasions I only need WTG and XTG.

My wife and kids are the only people that truly appreciate my BBS when I do it...no one else ever knows the difference.

Thanks Scott :thumbup:

Top Bottom