What's new

Newbies forget BBS....How about the basics 1st.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I had a reminder of this very thing the other night....small patch of burn on my neck :blush:

This is a great thread, because when I first started it was all about attaining the coveted BBS. What I realized is that I don't always need to be BBS, so I don't always do an ATG pass. For some occasions I only need WTG and XTG.

My wife and kids are the only people that truly appreciate my BBS when I do it...no one else ever knows the difference.

Thanks Scott :thumbup:

Well put and the main reason for the article.

The newb goal should NEVER be BBS, it should be a smooth comfortable shave ... I liken this to the advice on track days: go slow to go fast. On the track, once you get the line right with smooth weight transfers ... you just get faster. But if you try going fast right away ... fail.

Once I get everything smooth and easy on my shaves, I'll start tuning it. As it is, I am breaking a million other rules anyway: multiple soaps, multiple straights, just added DEs ... "bad newb ... BAD newb."

-

Even today I do not go for BBS. Not because I can't but because it really isn't worth the extra effort or irritation when it grows back.

Great post and tips. Especially about getting the lather right before using the DE. Get one sorted out then work on the other.

- Aaron

Good advice but it made this newb find the abbreviations list. I couldn't figure out what BBS was for the life of me.

Excellent post.
Once I stopped trying to get a BBS, I actually started to get them.

The balance for me had to be struck. If I don't get all that hair off my neck, my suit/dress shirt irritates the heck out of it. I need a damn fine shave or suffer all day. Do I get weepers? Sure but I ain't peeling off skin.

Good advice for the people that are new to DE and straightrazor shaving. AS someone mentioned earlier "once you don't worry about getting BBS, you get it," definately holds true.

Kinda like Rapier said, but how I always heard it was "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Scott,

Great words of wisdom. You really summed up a whole lot of hard to learn lessons in one post. Newbies and old hands, alike, can find something valuable there. Thanks.

Remember - only you can tell that your shave isn't a technically perfect BBS, but everyone in the room can see the cuts, bumps, redness and irritation all over your face!

a big +1 here for me along with the original post. great pearls of wisdom. thanks senior members for sharing best practices

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When this thread was around a lot of the Newbies seemed to like it. We have a bunch of new members so I am bringing it back if anyone is interested.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to bring this thread back up. We have had a lot of new members join. It has a lot of condensed info in one place. Enjoy.

Top Bottom