What's new

In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
CORRECTION!!!
Sorry for the confusion, I mistakenly inserted the wrong text and image. The corrected text and image is enclosed below

I've just received this 22 Blade Sampler in order to test out which blade works the best on my face in my Merkurs 23C & 38C and would like to know in what order should I test these Blades?

Any Advice??

Blades (two each), received are:

LEFT SIDE

2 ASTRA Superior Platinum

2 ASTRA Superior Stainless

2 BlueBird Hi Stainless

2 Super-Max Stainless

2 Super-Max Platinum

2 KAI (displayed bottom - middle)

RIGHT SIDE

2 TREET Classic Stainless

2 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless

2 FEATHER Hi-Stainless

2 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

2 Derby Extra Stainless

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
I agree that it will be tough with only one blade each. When I was testing blades I would stick to one exclusively for a week or so and then come back to it later for another go unless it was a total disaster from the very beginning.

But the order shouldn't be that important. If you're still getting your technique dialed in you're going to want to save the really sharp guys for last, those being the Kai and Feather.

I say that you jump in feet first. Those blades are all pretty decent. If your technique is spot on there should be nothing to fear. If it was me, I would start with Astra SS, nice middle of the road blade. I think you might be surprised with the ASCO, CROWNS, SHARKS and BIG BEN's (I think they are great). Let us know what your impressions are of each blade. I will be checking this post to see what you think. The only downside is that you only have one of each brand. If you at least had 3 of each, you would be able to better guage them.

Might just be me, but I would pay attention to your luck with many of the blades in terms of stainless steel vs non-stainless. I find that I have pretty good luck with stainless blades over others of the same manufacturer. I do agree that you should hold off on the Feather. Either way, it should be interesting. Good luck.

Last column, 4th blade down, what is that? Is the blade inside unmarked?

I have a baggie with 5 in it from a sample pack, and haven't used them yet. Not knowing what they are has held me back too.

Phil

Last column, 4th blade down, what is that? Is the blade inside unmarked?

I have a baggie with 5 in it from a sample pack, and haven't used them yet. Not knowing what they are has held me back too.

Phil

That is the Kai, I believe. Pretty good blade.

I had a pretty good time in my 34C with the Astra SP, Lord Platinum and Shark SC. I found the Shark SS to be even better, which leads me to reaffirm umm_bacon's comment about paying close attention to the super stainless blades. Beyond that, the listed units I'm most curious about are the Super-Max models and the Trig and Treet. Have fun!

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
CORRECTION!!!
Sorry for the confusion, I mistakenly inserted the wrong text and image. The corrected text and image is enclosed below

I've just received this 22 Blade Sampler in order to test out which blade works the best on my face in my Merkurs 23C & 38C and would like to know in what order should I test these Blades?

Any Advice??

Blades (two each), received are:

LEFT SIDE

2 ASTRA Superior Platinum

2 ASTRA Superior Stainless

2 BlueBird Hi Stainless

2 Super-Max Stainless

2 Super-Max Platinum

2 KAI (displayed bottom - middle)

RIGHT SIDE

2 TREET Classic Stainless

2 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless

2 FEATHER Hi-Stainless

2 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

2 Derby Extra Stainless

Thanx for all of advise :biggrin1:

I think the order I will use (in what I researched as 'mild-to-sharp' and record my comments), will be;

1. TRIG Silver Edge Stainless

2. TREET Classic Stainless

3. Derby Extra Stainless

4. ASTRA Superior Platinum

5. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

6. ASTRA Superior Platinum

7. Super-Max Stainless

8. BlueBird Hi Stainless

9. Super-Max Platinum

10. KAI

11. FEATHER Hi-Stainless

I saw that pack when i was looking around for samplers but i decided against it, ended up going with a pack that contained less types but several of each type.

Just save the Feathers for last, i'm under the impression that they're deadly!

I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness.

David

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness.

David
Great advice David...starting with the Feathers and working my way down to the mildest (hey...why did'nt I think of that :blink: ), but I'll keep that thought 'under advisement' :biggrin1:

Derbys are IMO almost as sharp as Feathers.
In fact many of the complaints against them are due to them being so sharp

Compare them is my suggestion

Im also making my way through a sampler of different blades and i say you just shuffle and choose at random. Also Im a big fan of the bluebird blades they are sharp and last longer than the others ive tried.

I think the order of trying blades is more important to a starting DE shaver than one who has his technique down and has been shaving for some time. The only blade on that list that I would hold off of at the beginning is the Feather - and that, for me, is less about its sharpness than how unforgiving it is. For example, I think the Gillette Russian Yellows are sharp - but a lot more forgiving than the Feathers.

Let us know how your test works out.

To me the Kai rivals the Feather in sharpness.

But then again, IMO, sharpness is good, not bad. So I like the Kais and the Feathers.

I'm also a big fan of the Astra SP.

Close your eyes, shuffle the blades and pick one!

Don't read any reviews, just shave. After 3 full shaves with each blade go look at the reviews.(some blades may not make it)

Remember to rate the blade for comfort and also for how long the shave lasts. For me, I get some comfy shaves that only last 8 hours, and then other shaves where I could skip the next days shave... (but with all the stuff to use, who wants to skip a day).

I keep a spreadsheet with every shave I have taken, rating each blade as I go along.

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Close your eyes, shuffle the blades and pick one!

Don't read any reviews, just shave. After 3 full shaves with each blade go look at the reviews.(some blades may not make it)

Remember to rate the blade for comfort and also for how long the shave lasts. For me, I get some comfy shaves that only last 8 hours, and then other shaves where I could skip the next days shave... (but with all the stuff to use, who wants to skip a day).

I keep a spreadsheet with every shave I have taken, rating each blade as I go along.
npsarros:
Great idea about using a spreadsheet with my comments / ratings and I'll get to everyone with my findings :biggrin1:

Top Bottom