What's new

Help to identify razor

I just picked this razor up from ebay, the serial number would appear to be 'P0 76313', this is stamped on the head. The case that came with it has a list of several patents on the back, relating to various countries, the latest one being 'Russia APR 30 07', also on the back of the case is the legend 'POCKET EDITION' Using the information from this web site to try and date it: http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm would I be correct in assuming it is a type 100 made in 1905?
Did I get a bargain for 2.50 GBP (about 4.95 USD) :smile:
Sorry the images are a bit blurred, but was using the camera on my phone!

Steve

That is a Gillette pocket edition razor. I don't believe it is from 1905 but more likely 1910-1920ish. I may be a little off on my dates but that type razor with the ball on the end wasn't made in 1905 that I'm aware of.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
If your Serial Number starts with a "B" rather than a "P" it is a 1911 Pocket Edition razor. The "P" series of serial numbers were in 1921 which I believe might be a little late for this one. Sometimes the alpha part of the serial number gets washed out.. example in Krumholz's book is a washed out "A" that some mistake for a number 1. I'd guess 1911 which follows BD's point.

*** Also the Basketweave design was a notorious FAKE but if yours has the Pat Info stamped on the back it is legit. Some counterfeits were produced in basketweave style overseas with a blank back. I have one of those....

Mike,
After looking again, closely, at the serial number, I believe that it could be a 'B' as opposed to a 'P' which I first thought.
The case has all the patent details stamped on the rear, along with the inscription ' pocket edition' and King Gillette's signature, the lining of the case is in very good condition, it shows no sign of fading or damage and is complete with the ribbon depicting a diamond and arrow logo with 'Gillette Trade Mark' and 'known the world over' woven into it, the lining is a deep purple / violet colour. The set is also complete with a black cotton back in which to put the razor case, as I said, I think I got a bargain - I just wonder what it's like to shave with????

Steve

Some of those cases were fakes??? Wow. Didn't know that. I'm sure some of mine are fakes too....

I don't think I would shave with it because modern blades don't work real well with those type razors that take the ol' 3 hole blades...at least that's what I hear...but you can try it & report back to us. :smile1:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Here is a scan from Phillip Krumholz's Book The Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook...Also a pic of Mr Krumholz from the back cover...and his seperated at birth twin, Kip Dynamite. No offense Mr. K., we love your book!

Check out that razor he's holding. Is that real??? Surely not. Could you imagine the razor burn from that bad boy....:yikes:

Let's see some of you shave under/around your nose with that.

I don't think I would shave with it because modern blades don't work real well with those type razors that take the ol' 3 hole blades...at least that's what I hear...but you can try it & report back to us. :smile1:

I use only classic, open-comb Gillette DE razors, made for 3-hole/straight-bar head/blade-guard combinations, and today's DE blades work perfectly well with them. My preference is for Israeli Personna, but I've also used Merkur, Derby, and will soon try-out a Feather.

"Don't fear the reaper"

I need one of those big razors to mount on the wall next to my shave den cabinet.

Would you call that an XXXXXXHD?

Top Bottom