What's new

Proposed Sticky: Identifying your Razors

Hi, all.

I've searched, and I know there's plenty of info out there, for info on identifying our razors that we get from flea markets, estate sales, etc. I get back from some outing with a bag full of razors ($4 each!) and would like to ID them before posting. But I spend more time searching for IDs than it took to buy the darned things.

Having a sticky (at the stop of the Safety Razor forum, maybe?) would be hecka swellegant, I think. Yes, there's a wiki page. But it's only one source and it's incomplete (so, the next step after IDing your razor here would be adding to the wiki if needed).

Below are the links I've found. Please add yours (I'll copy/paste into the first post) and let me know which ones are good or not good. And if the mods or you think this would be a good sticky, let's stick it! :biggrin:

What do you think?

Badger & Blade's Wiki Safety Razor Database

Badger & Blade's Razor Sampler Post

Achim's Absolutely Amazing Gillette Razor Collection

Safety Razors and Shaving Collectibles Web Site's Info on Gillette Date Codes

Collectors' Encyclopedia (Not too user friendly - good info, but you need to know how to find stuff.) A page specifically of Gillette razors is here.

There are a couple of others that stick in my mind that I can't locate - folks who have large collections of razors and have ID'd them and posted the info on the web. Would love to add those. Thanks.

I agree. I posted a thread last week asking how to ID a razor. Everyone kindly asked to see a pic. I wanted to know how they were going to identify it.

There are so many out there that it takes a bit of experience. Those resources are a great place to start, but a lot of times it just takes some experience, and asking around.

Yes, it does take some experience. But lets have the tools to get the experience started in one sticky.

I'll ID razors and have members correct me. No problem with that at all.

But I really like trying to figure out what I've scored (or might score) then posting.

I'll keep adding things as I come across them, but would appreciate other folks suggestions for good sites to help in IDing razors.

Thanks, Rodd.

I added your two suggestions.

I may add a few more posts from B&B where the razors have been ID'd, too.

While it can be hit or miss, often matching up your find to a good photo (then tracking down the date code, if there is one) will be all that's needed. For those times when it's not (like "which Aristocrat is this?") the membership here is truly bar none!

Hi, all.

I've searched, and I know there's plenty of info out there, for info on identifying our razors that we get from flea markets, estate sales, etc. I get back from some outing with a bag full of razors ($4 each!) and would like to ID them before posting. But I spend more time searching for IDs than it took to buy the darned things.

Having a sticky (at the stop of the Safety Razor forum, maybe?) would be hecka swellegant, I think. Yes, there's a wiki page. But it's only one source and it's incomplete (so, the next step after IDing your razor here would be adding to the wiki if needed).

Below are the links I've found. Please add yours (I'll copy/paste into the first post) and let me know which ones are good or not good. And if the mods or you think this would be a good sticky, let's stick it! :biggrin:

What do you think?

Badger & Blade's Wiki Safety Razor Database

Badger & Blade's Razor Sampler Post

Achim's Absolutely Amazing Gillette Razor Collection

Safety Razors and Shaving Collectibles Web Site's Info on Gillette Date Codes

Collectors' Encyclopedia (Not too user friendly - good info, but you need to know how to find stuff.) A page specifically of Gillette razors is here.

How to distinguish a New from a Tech - Thanks to AsylumGuido and Thirdeye

AsylumGuido's Guide to IDing a Superspeed

There are a couple of others that stick in my mind that I can't locate - folks who have large collections of razors and have ID'd them and posted the info on the web. Would love to add those. Thanks.

Brent, What an awesome job your doing..... So when is the book comming out? You know, the one we discussed the other day....:biggrin:

BTW, I can't take credit for the head id pic's. I picked those up some time ago and if memory serves me, they came from Achim...

Well, Ray, as I recall, the book was suggested as a "winter" project. :biggrin:

It really is something I plan to undertake. If nothing else, for my use. Having something I could use on the go would be great. I'm looking into picking up a copy of Krumholtz and a couple of others to help out.

Right now, I have a stash I need to go through and ID. I'm working on cleaning them up this week and hope to have photos up by this weekend at the latest.

Hopefully, you can vet them for me once they're up to see how I did. If I'm working all the info right, then I can get started on putting together a reference that will hopefully be both portable and helpful.

It is really unfortunate we lost all of MTgrayling's contributions to identifying razors and razor differences. He contributed a lot. :frown: Guido, that is a great start!

Thank you, AsylumGuido. I added that to the second "reference" post, since I can't edit the first.

It is really unfortunate we lost all of MTgrayling's contributions to identifying razors and razor differences. He contributed a lot. :frown: Guido, that is a great start!

The threads are still availible and you know your stuff Rodd...Fill the shoes...

thats a lot of freaking razors.

my favorite:

proxy.php

and i must have one of these:

proxy.php

Top Bottom