What's new

I timed my shave

As the title says; I timed my shave today, I shave in the afternoon, to see how I'm doing on time. I didn't rush through it just did my normal routine. This is from stropping on leather (50 laps) to shave to clean up and balm on.

It took me 21 minutes and 36 seconds. I know when I first started it was some where around an hour or so. The wife used to get a touch annoyed for taking so long.

I can't be the only one who has timed themselves. How long does it take you to complete your str8 shave?

I know that it takes me a bit longer when I use my straight as compared to my DE. But I've also noticed that each shave takes a little less time than the previous one. I check it off to experience and confidence building as I get more and more comfortable using my straights. :thumbup1:

The last time I tried to time it, I almost took my ear lobe off with a pointy square point.

I just roll with it.

Timing it flies in the face of what wet shaving is about: taking one's time!...

...It takes me about 30 min....

Legion

Staff member
The one time I clocked it it came in just under 30 min's. That was a while ago. I think I'm a bit faster now, probably about 20 min's.

10min, sometimes up to 15min when I add ATG pass or I'm playing with new soap etc...

cold water, shave stick, face lather, don't rinse face between passes, 3-4 passes + touch ups, apply ASB. Great 0 irritation shave, and I'm one of the people who has tough beard with sensitive skin and is prone to ingrowns.

10min, sometimes up to 15min when I add ATG pass or I'm playing with new soap etc...

cold water, shave stick, face lather, don't rinse face between passes, 3-4 passes + touch ups, apply ASB. Great 0 irritation shave, and I'm one of the people who has tough beard with sensitive skin and is prone to ingrowns.

I'm closer to the 30 minute mark with a 4 pass shave but really only been with straights for about 2 weeks. A good point to make is that I shaved about 10 minutes off my time with DE or Straights by using cold water. I didn't have to wait for the water to warm up or heat before starting the bruch soaking etc. For some reason the cold water also has given me consistently less irritation and a closer shave.

I'm closer to the 30 minute mark with a 4 pass shave but really only been with straights for about 2 weeks. A good point to make is that I shaved about 10 minutes off my time with DE or Straights by using cold water. I didn't have to wait for the water to warm up or heat before starting the bruch soaking etc. For some reason the cold water also has given me consistently less irritation and a closer shave.

Agree, cold water helped me get to the 10min mark. It's not even that cold, just body temperature or less. Also my shaves got better and I've eliminated all irritation from my face. Even after switching to DE I was getting some around my adam's apple. Now I've none...

I've been timing myself for a long time.

I shave in the extra bathroom, so that the noise of the running water doesn't bother my wife. I have a clock radio in there so I can listen to something while I shave. The clock radio, along with the shaving gear, is stored out of sight. In a cabinet. Unplugged. Plugging it in starts the timer.

My routine, in brief, is to lather, then brush and floss my teeth while the lather sits on my face. Then rinse, re-lather, unplug the clock radio for a moment to reset the clock, because when I started this I was interested in the actual shaving time and not the prep time, and begin to shave.

I usually clock in at about 20 minutes. I can do it in less if I'm in a hurry. Sometimes I take 35 to 40 minutes, if I'm being obsessive about getting every last whisker.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
20 minutes is my average (prep/shave/put stuff away).

I would say around 25-30 minutes. I dont even try to rush. I feel thought rushing pushes the desired outcome out of balance aka- razor burn, ingrown creation, dry lather, you know the undesired outcome when you rush. I lather, brush my teeth, rewet lather, shave slowly, I dont rinse between passes, shave again XTG, relather then shave ATG- sometimes. I rinse with cold water instead of warm to wash the soap away from my face. I let my face dry as I clean up my "gear". When my face is about dry, some ASB is applied, thats all. Im on an 1805 kick so everything is the same everyday except the brush. Next month I will try Trafalgar cream, ASB, and cologne for a month, maybe, I still like to throw MWF in since it mixes well with other ASB and scents.

With shower and prep usually 25 minutes with three passes. And yes, its not fun when your lady is waiting near the door to use the bathroom!:lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Different strokes for different folks I guess. My whole morning washroom routine is around 20 minutes. The shave part is under 10 with 3 to 4 passes. I don't think I'd get more joy by taking more time. I don't feel rushed.

There is a video posted several times here that shows a guy called Willie? . . I shave pretty much as he does but my brush has a handle and I do some more prep and do more passes. His shave is finished in 4. One member, chimensch, posted a birthday shave . . . I think this too was in around 4 or 5 minutes.

Top Bottom