What's new

Head Shaving - Razor, Routine and Products

I know there is another thread on whether to rock a bald head or not. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but would like to know more about the methods you fellow bald guys use.

For example, I'm pretty excited about using my Gillette Fatboy on my face, but would never use it on my noggin. I'm curious to know how many of you prefer to use more modern razors and also I'd like to know the process you use and what products you use.

So to reiterate:
1. What razor you prefer
2. Your headshaving routine
3. What products you use.

This should be interesting for all us bald folk. Apologies if a thread like this already exists, but the other one seemed more about whether to shave your head or not.

I use a Merkur Progress and Astra or Feather Blades.A new blade every shave and I go atg only. I use Proraso usually but shave oils work good too. Take my time and don't be in a hurry. Aggressive razors are a killer on my head but not my face. I can set it 4 or higher on my face but I stick with setting 1 on my noggin. I am bald by choice and my scalp is barely visible after 4 days without shaving si it grows fast. When I am done I splash with witch hazel and start my day. I use straight razors too but it it takes just too long on a daily basis too get my head acceptable to me. Also I have been known to use a disposable razor when done to touchup because they they flex to get some contours better than I can with just the DE. Take it slow though and use plenty of cream or oil. Something to keep it slick while your shaving. Dry is bad you'll get knicked.

Last edited:
As for the razor, I use a Mach3 or a Headblade (3 blades)...it just depends on which kind of blades are available to me ATM. I hope to be able one day to use a DE also for my head...maybe I could try as soon as I put my hands on a Slim ADJ...no way I'm gonna put my open comb merkur on my scalp...

I shave almost everyday because, since I started shaving my head, I developed a real hate for a 5 o'clock shade...which I have after just 15 HRS.

The routine is simple...I usually shave my face and at the end I use the remaining lather on my head. The best product so far for a wonderful headshave is my Tabac Soap.

I'm a 2 passes guy WTG + ATG.

After each pass, I re-lather.

I don't use the mirror for headshaving, but use the fingers of the free-hand to feel the growing hair/the grain... :thumbup1:

In the last week I started to use an alum block immediately after shaving.

I then make a final rinse and apply the wonderful Headblade MATTE aftershave.

I have to admit I'm more proficient with my headshaving than with my normal face shaving (at least with a DE...). :lol:

"I usually shave my face and at the end I use the remaining lather on my head.... I then make a final rinse and apply the wonderful Headblade MATTE aftershave."

Niubi - What a great idea!! Yeah why not use the leftover shaving cream from a normal shave to shave the head!

Is Headblade MATTE aftershave just in the name, or does it actually help matte annoying head shine?

I currently don't use my DE on my head but would like to one day. I have however tried a lot of modern options, I shave my head every two days, anything more and it's a much tougher shave. Out of everything I have tried the Gillette Sensor Excel (twin blade) is by far the favourite, it doesnt clog like a Mach 3 or Fusion and I find it just as quick and better than a headblade. The blades are reasonable, the handle is a nice lenth and thinner than the fusion type, I tend only use a blade a max of 3 times. This shave takes about 8 mins all in. Hope it helps

Routine goes like this;

- Shower with brush soaking in bowl of hot water
- when out of shower keep hot flannel on head while lathering cream (TBS cream) in bowl
- apply cream to front of head, do WTG pass inc behind ears
- wipe off with warm flannel
- re-apply cream on front and go ATG

I repeat this then for back of my head, do final rinse and any touch ups which I feel for. After I apply an oil free moisturiser or occasionally baby talc (I steal my baby daughters!)

Right I'm off to do mine now, good luck.

Last edited:
I'm debating on letting my hair grow out right now, but I use a head blade with Personna Atra/Trac II carts. Wally Mart sells them 10 for $3.54.
I usually whip the Head Slick in the shower since it makes less of a mess,
I have used a Fusion, but I kill them to quickly. I have used my injector a few times, but I'm to chicken to use the DE on me head

I also use a Headblade with their Headslick cream in the shower. I use the Wilkinson Sword Atra/TracII cartridges from Walmart as they are cheap and don't clog up too bad. I am also not about to try the DE on the dome as I don't think I could maintain the proper blade angle and it would take too long. With the Headblade I am done in just a few minutes with minimal chance of cuts or nicks. I do a back to front pass and then a front to back with a little touch up on the spots my hair grows in different directions.

...but I use a head blade with Personna Atra/Trac II carts. Wally Mart sells them 10 for $3.54.

Are the "Atra/Trac II" the same as "Gillette Contour Plus"?

I'm trying to figure out which kind of blades are Headblade compatible, but sometimes names change on the european market.

Is Headblade MATTE aftershave just in the name, or does it actually help matte annoying head shine?

I find it different from the Nivea aftersun I used to use. This last one always left my head shiny (I sometimes like it....) but too greasy, even after hours...

With the Matte AS I don't get as much shine and the AS is easily absorbed.

I've been shaving my head (I'm mostly bald anyway) for years. I started using the Mach 3, and have been using the Headblade for quite a while, about 8 years, I think. Since the cartridge articulates it glides easily around curves in the skull.

I like the 2-blade (Atra-type?) cartridge that Headblade sells. I shave my face and head in the shower; I use a brush and cream (the cream varies from Proraso to Trumpers to T&H) with Proraso pre-shave. I use 2 passes: ATG and WTG on my head. I always get velvet-smooth shaves.

I use Kiehl's skin products, the Blue Astringent, followed by the Ultimate After-shave moisturizer.

Are the "Atra/Trac II" the same as "Gillette Contour Plus"?

I'm trying to figure out which kind of blades are Headblade compatible, but sometimes names change on the european market.

From what I can tell these were called Atra in the US and Contour in Europe. Contour blades should work with the same adapter that the Headblade blades use.

I get the best shave on my head with a Super Speed DE razor. Headblade clogs up too fast on me. Mach III is too slippery and also clogs.

I can get a great shave with a headblade if I do it every day. I don't have the time, plus I get acne and ingrown hairs around the back of my neck if I shave too often.

Every other day or every third day with my DE and I'm happy. Usually one pass except the back of my head and neck. I'll give a second pass there and around my ears and sideburns.

I too use my free hand to "feel" my shave as it goes. I only take a look in the mirror if my hand comes back bloody. Very rarely.

A nice super speed gillette makes my dome smooth as butter.

I also use headlube matte finish lotion. It holds back the high shine and helps fight greasy skin. Never let them see you sweat. I don't glow either.

I use an atra on my head, tried a DE a couple of times but it just wasn't for me. I generally shave in the shower and I use the same soap for my head and face.

I switch up depending on the mood that I am in. The choices are a Gillette New with a feather, shavette with a 1/2 feather blade, or the 1912 Gem. I use various soaps and a boar brush 99% of the time..

Headlube
40's superspeed ATG
Then touch up with a disposable in the shower

I shave it every day since I have thick jet black hair. But I just started letting it grow out last Saturday.

I just started letting mine grow for the winter too. One day last week. Don't remember which its irrelevant.I'll shave it again in the spring.

I'm using a Headblade now; used to use the flat handled (for women) Sensor. I find Musgo Real to be a good slick cream for the head, I finally have a use for the great big Super Badger brush from C&E...

Ken

For nine years I used a mach3 (sensor before that) and gel type shaving cream.

Pre shower, gel and shave from neck to face, apply more gel and shave face to neck. I would then wet my hand and feel for the Strips of uncut hair that I missed and buff a few spots.

For the past two weeks: Shower, soap with boar brush and DE from neck to face then again neck to face. The last pass is face to neck. I finish with a few little short strokes over scruff spots.

One huge benefit I've noticed instantly is the hair not cloging up a DE like it did my cartridge razors. Anyone who shaves their head knows what a pain that is.

Head shaving for me is all about feeling. I don't have an array of mirrors so I can see what the blade is doing. Switching to the DE was very easy for me as I can and have shaved my head with my eyes closed.

I've been shaving my head for over a decade now and I've tried them all, Mach 3, Headblade 2 & 3 blades, even my DE Gillette. All of them resulted in more nicks and cuts than I care to remember. Mostly because of the unnatural way one has to shave one's own head. Then a friend of mine who has been doing the same for just has long mentioned that he uses an electric razor for his head. I often wondered why he didn't have any nicks.

So, following his suggestion I went out and purchased the top-of-the-line Braun razor. This was about 3 years ago, so mine is no longer the top dog but still does a great job. The Panasonic Vector Series is an excellent choice for this.

So each morning I start with some Lectric Shave on my head and within 3 to 5 minutes I'm completely done without a nick or cut. Just don't go over the same spot too many times or you'll get razor burn from the heat of the motor.

Then it's in the shower while my bowel and brush soak and then a luxurious shave with my favorite soap/cream and one of my razors.

Mike

Top Bottom