What's new

Military Str8 Newbies - This Post is For You!

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Coasties...(and anyone who doesn't want to suffer through months of bad str8 shaves in your journey to glory).

Gather round and take a knee...

So you've watched the videos...you've read the tutorials...and you're stuck. You want to try Str8 shaving but dont want to (or better yet...can't) go to work for a month looking like you've been kissing Freddy Krueger's mother. What would your First Shirt say?

Scuba: "Top o the morning Sergeant Major!"

Mean SOB First Shirt: "Sweet Molly in a Manger Scuba...you look like you've just lost a fight with your razor this morning...are you so stupid you can't figure out how to shave?? Are you still in High School or are you in the military?? Do you want to represent the unit or dont you??"

Yeah...I never wanted to have that conversation.

Problem is...after reading all the materials, watching every video out there, I was left with the distinct impression I had no choice but to put down the DEs for a long while and stick with str8s only...for a month or so...in order to get my technique down.

In short gentlemen...this is pure, unadulterated poppycock.

If you truly want to learn Str8 shaving (and make no mistake...it is an art), then you'll do what it takes to get there. The #1 rationale I've heard over the two years here, on why NOT to use a DE is because by leaving it behind you remove the "crutch" keeping you from learning by doing and "suffering" through that first month or two. The more crappy your shaves...the more motivated you'll be to figure out why...problem is I could never go through that with my job..and neither can you! Can you imagine a Str8 shaver Newb who listened to this advice in the Old Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns? NO! You can't....because he wouldn't be allowed to serve there if his face was a mess.

Well..if you recognize that you have the potential to use a DE as a crutch...and purposefully make yourself gradually use it less and less...then you can still get military-standard shaves from Day 1 (with the exception of perhaps a little razor burn in the early weeks).

In short...it is more than possible to learn and still use a DE regularly....period.

Now...its also important to point out, for those living in the barracks or dorms, that there might be some rules or regulations that you want to pay attention to about knives allowed in the rooms, length of the weapon allowed etc etc. Further, if you tell your First Shirt you are learning to str8 shave and are a relatively young Airmen, Salior or Solider you might get a stern look and talking to to make sure your head is screwed on straight (no pun intended). I want to state that I am NOT condoning keeping your hobby quiet from your leadership...you should feel encouraged to talk to them about it...but you dont want them to be caught off guard on a dorm sweep either :tongue_sm

So then...bottomline...if you're in the military...and want to str8 shave but are concerned about getting crappy shaves up front...you can rest assured it can be done without problem...if you really want it!

Best of luck gents, thanks for your Service and...get back in the fight! HUA!

Feel free to post or PM me with questions if you're a military type and want to try but are a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff you can find online!

Last edited:
I think we need a marching tune Chris;

When a B&B’er comes marching in he’s home again
Hurah! Hurah!
We’ll give them PIF’s with some Williams
Hurah! Hurha!
The Mod’s will cheer and the Stewards will shout
The ladies at home will all turn out
And all because they went striaight

I can't understand a single word you just wrote... must be a military thing.

Best of luck to you all. Make sure you've got (and keep) a sharp razor. That's the hardest part of learning. Nothing like shaving for a time with a dull razor, figuring you just have no skill for it. Then getting a sharp one and having that "oh, that's why," moment. Frankly, most peoples' "Shave Ready" is a symbol of masochism for me. Put it this way. I can get a WTG shave ready razor using a cinder block. I've not bought a single Shave Ready off the eBay which could give me an ATG shave ready that's acceptable to me. Most of them go to middle range grits then jump straight to pastes (posted in the listing or I pm'ed them and asked), which does NOT agree with my face. It cuts, but it flat out will not give me the closeness I want. And I cut half my neck off trying angle after angle until I eventually give up. Some of them had gotten the razor professionally honed, and the professional did pretty much the same thing. Basically at this point, if I see The word Naniwa or Norton followed by Pasted Strop, I don't even check the edge anymore. It goes straight to the coticule and gets wiped out for a proper honing. And you would be offended at what passes for honing on the old sheffield smilers. I just got a "Shave Ready" Wedge off eBay for about $200 (16/15ths Geo). It got here and had been honed with about 50 layers of tape* (I'm honestly considering my belt sander because I'm not removing material anywhere NEAR the bevel on my 220 grit DMT) and I can literally saw my fingertip with pressure at the heel and toe (about 1.5-2cm length of each) and it feels like a butterknife. The center of the edge is "eh". Maybe 6-8k. And this is a seller of razors who has like infinity million feedback.

In summary. Get the razor honed by someone who knows what the hell they're doing. Trust the opinions of people you trust.

As for the DE crutch... well I find ATG easier with a straight than with a DE by a large amount... but that brings us back to the edges. I'm probably using the crappiest blades out there (CVS pack of 10) and have spent a year studying my straights edges. A DE user will have tested and found the best blades for them and will be accepting their straights edge purely on the vehicle of faith, so the situations are very much opposite.

*If you don't know how to hone and are honing a wedge. Please don't. Failing that please don't use tape. Failing that please don't sell the razor after you screw it up so miserably it will take days to fix without the use of power tools. This concludes SoL's plea for (his own) sanity.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is not a thread where you post your Straight razor related to the military? I got one... :confused:

Given a situation where one of my joes was just starting out with straights, i'd cut him some slack. Heck i'd even offer some counseling (advice) on the subject. Any soldier looking to expand their shaving habits beyond the canned goo and cart probably takes pride in their general appearance to begin with. I may have a biased opinion here though.

Top Bottom