What's new

Thoughts on headshaving and the disappearance of bald(ing) men wearing hair

Head shaving has become so universal that practically no man under 50 with advanced male-pattern baldness wears any hair whatsoever. I count myself among this group. I started shaving my noggin long before it was cool, chiefly to conceal how bald I was becoming in my twenties. It's an easy solution, as is close-cropping with a clipper.

On the other hand, sometimes I think it's a fashion trend that's beyond its apex. I was talking with my wife (a hairstylist) recently about the headshaving phenomenon and we struggled to think of more than a handful of men under 50 (famous or not) who, despite male-pattern baldness, no not shave or close-crop their hair. Stanley Tucci isn't exactly a teenager. I can't think of anyone under 40 who proudly wears the horseshoe.

All of this makes me want to be at the forefront of the next vintage fashion trend: enbracing, not concealing, semi-baldness.

I think I will stick with head shaving. I should have done that ten years earlier instead of wearing the horseshoe because that made me look 15 years older.

This, imo, is a fashion that is right on every level and will and should endure. Most men look ok to good with a shaved head, whereas most men fall somewhere between ludicrous and psychotic with the combover.

I've thought of head shaving, but in the end decided not. A buzz cut every four to five weeks leaves me with little enough to worry about surrounding the bald patch, is less work for me, and suits my own self image better. I'll admit, though, that on some guys a shaven head just works. You can't imagine them any other way.

I have a close buzz, that averages 1/10" to about 1/4", depending on when I last got it cut. It's quite common here, and guys who wear a comb over quite frankly, look ridiculous. I use to have some wisps up top that I did not know what to do with. Buzzing my hair was the best thing I ever did.

I should have started shaving my head several years ago instead of hanging to the little bit I had. My wife tried talking me into it before and finally won earlier this year when I started shaving it every day.

I have been wearing (what is left of my) hair very short for the best part of 20 years. While I don't have anything against the idea of shaving my head, my wife clips my hair regularly at home and I am spared the time required to shave my dome on an almost daily basis.
I can only agree about how ridiculous the "comb-over" looks.

I bic my bonce every other day, using a mach 3 normally. Biggest waste of money I've spent on the bonce so far this year has to be the 'Head Blade'.
Awkward to use and i striggle to get a close shave, especially against the grain. Adds minutes to shave time too.

I've kept my thinning hair closely cropped for years. I keep thinking about shaving it, but haven't decided to yet.

My hair is on the shorter side, and the woman of my life likes me better with some hair than with no hair. I would most likely shave it if I was not trying to make her happy. Though to be honest, I'v never had to hide it. I started darting women "out of my liege" more after I started balding than before. Though that might have been a confidence and practice thing.

Almost 20 years ago, I bought a hair clipper when my hair loss was accelerating. Man, the $$ I've saved on barber and shampoo! I use it once a week, w/out any attachment for the shortest cut. My wife has always loved it. I think it's a timeless cut, and one that works with a golf shirt or a suit. I think this cut will be around for a while and at least for me it looks better than the horseshoe or the Larry Fine.

I started shaving it long before I had any hairloss to speak of. In fact, I guess I could still sport a more or less full head of hair. Emphasis on more or less:)
I just don't want it:)
I truly like the feeling of a clean shaven scalp. The missus finds it attractive as well, so I guess the dome will roam my northernmost territory 'till the day I am outtahere:)

Sadly there are a lot of people who have real issues with hairloss. I can relate, and feel sorry for them, but hey, this happens to 30% of all grown men. No biggie I say.

I bic my bonce every other day, using a mach 3 normally. Biggest waste of money I've spent on the bonce so far this year has to be the 'Head Blade'.
Awkward to use and i striggle to get a close shave, especially against the grain. Adds minutes to shave time too.

AS always, YMMV, lol. I have found the headblade to be a pretty good buy. It is quick and easy for me, and far easier to use, since I can feel every angle of my head, than anything else. And cheap too, since I use the Dorco version of Atra blades.

AS always, YMMV, lol. I have found the headblade to be a pretty good buy. It is quick and easy for me, and far easier to use, since I can feel every angle of my head, than anything else. And cheap too, since I use the Dorco version of Atra blades.

Those Wilkinson Sword disposable razors, 'Extreme 3' I think, as used by the most famous baldy to ever live, Mr. Andre Agassi, are pretty good too.

Those Wilkinson Sword disposable razors, 'Extreme 3' I think, as used by the most famous baldy to ever live, Mr. Andre Agassi, are pretty good too.

I can't get those around here, so I have not tried them. Funny, I remmeber when Agassi had lots of hair. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm 54, full head of hair, not even a receding hairline and would LOVE to be naturally bald, but it's never going to happen based on family history. I shave my head every single day, sometimes twice a day if I'm going out for the evening. Love the bald look, hate the combover.

Check out www.slybaldguys.com

I will have to rise in defense of the combover. It depends on the type of hair loss you are experiencing, as well as the shape of your head. I was on the number 4 blade guard routine when I decided to grow it long. I took on the classic wino look, slicking it back with copious amounts of gel and foam. Then, I had my Barber cut it to a combover, short on the sides. The trick is to get regular haircuts to maintain the look and style it without a part. The women in the Lab asked me if I was using Rogaine, they liked it.
I just cannot go with a head shave, I already look evil enough. I also cannot do the skinhead, makes me look like a Bergen-Belsen survivor.
The good news is if I live to be old enough I will say F.. it and buy some clippers and mow the whole mess down to a 2. I cannot envision using a handheld razor and soap at that point.
My Barber shaves his head and has the fortune of a natural look thus.

Top Bottom