What's new

Tim Burton Exhibit Melbourne 2010 / Sweeney Todd razors

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was at the Tim Burton Exhibit today held in Melbourne until the 10th October 2010 at the ACMI(Australian Centre for the Moving Image)... I didn't want to go when they opened, someone did and ended up not seeing anything because it was too crowded. I usually end up saying, I'll go, I'll go and end up on the last day in the same type of crowd... Today was good, almost empty! I think the exhibit was fair and like many places, I couldn't take any pictures unfortunately.

The only picture that I got is me next to Batman's car from the 1989 Batman! Lots of plastic...
View attachment 118977

Other than that, the exhibit provided a good overview of Tim Burton's work from when he was a kid in school (drawings/homework that he handed in) to Alice in Wonderland, Planet of the Apes and Willy Wonka! Being the school teacher, I would be concerned with his drawings...

From the costumes that I saw in there, Johnny Depp must be around 5'6" - 5'8" top. Michelle Pfeiffer is very small/petite. The empty catwoman costume looked like a 5' tall skinny little girl...

Anyways, I'll cut to the chase if you haven't navigate away yet... The razors!

They had the razors and box on display with 5 razors in the box and one hanging over them open. Now that I know what I'm looking at, I can report the specifications.

The razor above the other 5 was exactly this one:
View attachment 118978

The scales were different for each razor, well, from what I could see. I think those could be the other 5...
View attachment 118979

I will use this picture to explain the dimensions plus you can see the nice box the other 5 were in! :laugh:
View attachment 118980

All right what I could measure with my eagle eye, I spent a good 10 minutes looking through the glass and probably annoyed every single visitor during those 10 minutes but I thought, it's for the greater good! :laugh: I'm sure some of them called me a geek... SWMBO did...

What we have is a very shiny metal that looks like stainless steel but it wasn't because there was a bit of rust on the tang (yes rust!). The tip is Spanish point, the blade was probably 6/8 at the heel and around 9/8 at the toe. Bottom and top jimps. The razor are surely custom made as the jimps aren't consistent or straight on all razors. The razor is shoulderless.

The length of the edge was around 5", seriously. If you look at the movie, the blade does look a bit oversized. I must admit, I didn't think so when I saw the movie, I thought the razors were impressive!

The scales looked like they are made of wood inside and painted silver/black outside. The blade isn't thick, around 1/8 and that was the spine and edge so those razor aren't sharp at all and aren't made to be sharp IMO. I would be a strange wedge. The tang was around 1/4 thick.

I think that all, couldn't hold it so no idea how light those are! Also, I couldn't find if someone else already saw those razors and report if so, I will gladly add the link to the other thread or maybe we can merge them!

Luc, did you feel the urge to jump in the batmobile (or maybe that is just me)?

Makes you wonder if you could actually shave with those razors - probably not is my guess.

Luc

Staff member
Luc, did you feel the urge to jump in the batmobile (or maybe that is just me)?

Makes you wonder if you could actually shave with those razors - probably not is my guess.

I wanted to but they busted me with my bag of candies 20 seconds in. When they saw, it was okay... The car is all made of plastic anyways. I was hoping they would open it so we could see inside but apparently not...

The straights are no good to shave with right now and I don't think that anyone could make them shave ready because of the way they are made. If they would be of a normal size (2.5"-3" edge) and a thicker spine then yes... But then, it's a straight with Sweeney Todd's scales... :lol:

Looking a million bucks there Luc.

I loved the Sweeny Todd Movie and those razors look awesome. Wish I could buy me a pair.

Thanks for the picks.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Gents!

Forgot to add... No markings on the tangs!

If I could have a normal Razor-sized straight with those scales, I would take it yes! :biggrin:

I haven't seen the movie, (I absolutely LOATH Johnny Dep) but the staights have a very cool design. I've been watching the Bay, and other sites looking for a cool straight with carved scales, but just because I think it adds a certain something.

Mike

Legion

Staff member
That's cool Luc. I'm planning to get to the exhibition when I am down in a couple of weeks. I was supposed to get to the opening, but unfortunately other things got in the way. I'm glad they have the razors.

Luc

Staff member
That's cool Luc. I'm planning to get to the exhibition when I am down in a couple of weeks. I was supposed to get to the opening, but unfortunately other things got in the way. I'm glad they have the razors.

It's the only item they have from Sweeney Todd... Right next to it, the Sleepy Hollow cape that Christopher Walken had... Very nice stuff.

When you go down, have a close look at Edward Scissorhands 'hand'... tell me what you think of the scissors.

Luc

Staff member
The design of the handles are interesting. Is it suppose to be an angel?

I think it's more of a 'lost soul' or 'trapped soul' type of design as wings don't fit scales that thin! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom