What's new

A question for the Brits.

Gentlemen,

Is there anything that we're missing out on, that our American cousins are snowed under with?

We're blessed with Old Spice in glass bottles, cheap Palmolive and Erasmic.:001_smile

They've got Thayer's Witch Hazel (thanks to valmara1971 for that) and...??

You guys definitely have the beter deal though, waht with all the English goodness in soaps, creams, and frags...but you are SO missing out when it comes to Aqua Velva. The Pinaud stuff, meh. It's decent, but really not all that awesome in much except price. I mean, it WORKS, and some of them smell nice, but really, it is cheap stuff and you get what you pay for. It's certainly not on par with the three T's or DR Harris or any of that.

Chavs, emos and The Beatles.

Wait, what? We're not snowed under with those over here...I thought YOU guys were? I guess we have the equivalents though:
Chavs = Wangstas
Emos = teenagers and almost every new band (lol)
The Beatles = that "Pants on the Ground" guy...

You guys definitely have the beter deal though, waht with all the English goodness in soaps, creams, and frags...but you are SO missing out when it comes to Aqua Velva. The Pinaud stuff, meh. It's decent, but really not all that awesome in much except price. I mean, it WORKS, and some of them smell nice, but really, it is cheap stuff and you get what you pay for. It's certainly not on par with the three T's or DR Harris or any of that.

You use the word "cheap" like it is a bad thing. I prefer to consider it "inexpensive", and as much as I love the scent of Trumper's Skye After Shave, there had better be an EMS unit on standby the day I pay those prices for an after shave.

C o bigelow never tried it but i've never seen it over here
and Pastrami sandwiches, for the love of god why can't we get sandwiches like those!!!

You use the word "cheap" like it is a bad thing. I prefer to consider it "inexpensive", and as much as I love the scent of Trumper's Skye After Shave, there had better be an EMS unit on standby the day I pay those prices for an after shave.

No, in this case I truly mean CHEAP. It's pretty much water, alcohol, and stinkums, and coloring.

C o bigelow never tried it but i've never seen it over here
and Pastrami sandwiches, for the love of god why can't we get sandwiches like those!!!

CO Bigelow is decent...if you want to try the cream, all you need to do is order some Proraso or Omega...Italian, but the exact same thing.

And yeah, if I couldn't get a good Pastrami Reuben, I wouldn't want to live there either, lol...

One thing we DON'T have over here is "football"...we have that stuff we CALL football, and we have the MLS, but those hardly compare. What we DO get is the occasional random Man U. or Chelsea fan, because they think wearing the shirt somehow sets them apart and makes them cool, but they know NOTHING about the game, the team they claim to support, and I doubt they could find them on a map, let alone tell you the name of the ground they play on. I wish I could have intelligent conversations about football with the random dude on the barstool next to me instead of "What's that shirt? Liverpool? ***? That ain't "football", that's "sawkur"! Buncha girls...all they do is flop around and act like drama queens!", the savages.

What can I say as a brit on here is everywhere you read the big one is Aqua Velva, and then theres Thayers, those to me are the two big ones. What you have to understand though is the distribution system in england is strange, unless you live in or near London the only product you can find on shelves with any worth are;

Brushes - I have seen one shop in the closest city to me which had some Vulfix Badger Brushes

Razor blades - Unmarked Personnas (I've heard there Israeli)

Creams - Palmolive, Ingrams and i'm lead to believe Erasmic

Soaps - boots own brand? (strangely enough I did by an Arko stick from a turkish barber in my very small town, however for everyone else chance would be a fine thing)

Aftershave - Tabac, Old Spice, Brut

Your beloved 3 T's are "cheap" in England, not as cheap as Ingram but CHEAP and, as you said, you get what you pay for :001_tt2:

Our UK friends have local/in-country access to some great products, among them great, inexpensive shave sticks. I think we Yanks do well with SE blades, AV, and artisan soaps. We have some great soapers.

-- John Gehman

Gentlemen...

It seems to me as if you are forgetting the difference between "expensive" and "much money".:wink2:

...and that the brits have Old Course in St Andrews...:thumbup:

Classic, inexpensive aftershaves. Seems there isn't such a tradition of aftershave use here. You get them made by posh, old fasioned companies like Trumpers, or you get modern, teenager scented products with brands like Lynx etc. But there are no classics like Pinaud or AV. Once upon a time there was an Erasmic aftershave, and an Imperial Leather too. But no more. As mentioned, the only ones you'll see in a shop worth their salt are Brut, Tabac and Old Spice. That said, Trumpers, D R Harris and TOBS make some superlative aftershaves.

... Once upon a time there was an Erasmic aftershave...

:crying: pity they dont make it no more, their shaving cream is my favorit, smell reminds me of the old barbershop where i was getting a haircut as a kid.
I was wondering is there some AS with similar smell?

Top Bottom