What's new

A question for the Brits.

Aftershaves seem more varied and well, better across the pond (I'm talking about affordable ones; no Aqua Velva, Pinaud etc here - as mentioned just Brut and Adidas etc :(

Then single edge blades - I don't think these are available at all in the UK.

But the most obvious one would be vintage Gillettes. Getting one for a reasonable price (that isn't a rusty tech) is more or less impossible here.

ps it's also actually easier to get hold of some British-made products in the States than it is here; Rooneys are difficult to come by unless you go to London and get a rebranded one, and Simpson brushes are more expensive in the UK.

I paid more than i should for a/v and bay rum and i fancy trying osage rub, though i think i have no chance with that.

:crying: pity they dont make it no more, their shaving cream is my favorit, smell reminds me of the old barbershop where i was getting a haircut as a kid.
I was wondering is there some AS with similar smell?

Their new range does a post shave balm that has that Erasmic smell. Doesn't last like an aftershave though.

shave balm

Gareth

Thayers is available over here if you search around, as for se blades again you can get them on ebay or from that vendor that shall not be named. :wink2:

Did get a bargain on some lynx aftershave which normally goes for £7 i paid 93p a bottle. :biggrin1:

It's quite nice actually not a patch on my alfred dunhill desire mind.

Is it just me or brut is now really weak, back in the day it would blow your head off, i got banned from wearing the stuff at school, well i did share it amongst 'most' of the pe class. :blushing:

I would love to try some aqua velva and that dodgy scent called lilac vegetal? sounds rather interesting.

One thing you folks overseas should try is bulldog, i love their shaving balm and so far it's one of the best, knocks spots of the e&j sample i tried a while back that stuff stung me a bit and felt sticky.

http://www.meetthebulldog.com/product/view/original-post-shave-balm

But the most obvious one would be vintage Gillettes. Getting one for a reasonable price (that isn't a rusty tech) is more or less impossible here.

Yep, i deffo agree with this one. Doesn't help when people put goods up for sale to get you all excitable, only to come to the tagline of 'CONUS only'.

That said, i just picked up an SS Flare Tip (Z2) for a tenner off t'Bay.

You can find AV very easily in Belgium though. I still have a round 200ml bottle I bought a few years ago.
I believe it is produced in France.
I don't now if the formula is different from the ones you can buy in the US.

What does Erasmic smell like, anyway? Been wanting to try if for a while now.

It is really hard to describe, to me it has that "old barbershop" smell, which apparently no one can describe precisely. I can not compare it to anything else, but I would say it smells very masculine, old school and pleasant.

One thing we DON'T have over here is "football"...we have that stuff we CALL football, and we have the MLS, but those hardly compare.
It gets worse. Ever tried to get F1 coverage in the States? :cursing:

Anyway, you guys have access to a lot of great/inexpensive creams that we can't seem to get here. For the life of me I cannot seem to find a supply for Williams cream. You also have boot sales, our equivalent is the flea market. Also, you have access to NOS Gillette blades that are impossible to come by here.

I would have to say Williams and VDH soap. Cheap as chips in the states but I've only been able to try these (which I like) thanks to very helpful B & B'ers sending me a few pucks (cheers guys, you know who you are).

Just so you guys are aware: If there is a considerable demand for any particular item that isn't readily available across the pond, I've decided to do you guys a solid and play the role of a States-side Pumpkin i.e. I'll ship out one of our US products at cost for a while just to let you guys have a taste. I just need to now what you guys want, and what I'm able to ship without too much hassle. I was thinking Barbasol AS, but Aqua Velva seems to be in demand too. If there are any creams or soaps here that you'd like I can look out for those too (Real Shaving Co., VDH?) What do you think boys and girls?

I'll add to that & do the same for any Canadian products (I'll be in Canada for the next several months at least).
Green Aqua Velva seems to be popular with our acroos the pond cousins from what I hear, but I'll be happy to ship anything locally available.
Shipping from Canada is somewhat more expensive than shipping from the US.
It's $10 for upto 250g & then $17 for upto 500g to UK & Europe.
Obviously, I'll ship anywhere someone wants.

Nice offer, LinuxMintyFresh, but you should know that Real Shaving Company products are both made here in the UK and are readily available at most supermarkets.

The problem we have with getting some of the fine US shaving products is the shipping costs. Ogallala Bay Rum products spring to mind in this regard.

Nice offer, LinuxMintyFresh, but you should know that Real Shaving Company products are both made here in the UK and are readily available at most supermarkets.

The problem we have with getting some of the fine US shaving products is the shipping costs. Ogallala Bay Rum products spring to mind in this regard.

Well the products would need to be available locally, otherwise you may as well just order it online. That's why I suggested the Barbasol or Aqua Velva, and the VDH. I can get an employee discount at my local Walgreens store, so if it is available there, all the better.

Yeah, I just meant it's not always the availability that's the problem, it's the weight of the product. This is something you'll run into yourself if someone takes you up on your kind offer.

3 T's??? What's that, please?

Otherwise, I think every country has its own crop of products. I don't use aftershave much, so I don't miss any "famous" brands. Generally wherever you go in the world, the same products are available, at different prices, and different items come in different qualities. Life'd be very boring if everywhere you went, the same products were on the shelves in front of you :)

Top Bottom