What's new

Bought the Kid a Spiffy Shaving Kit

The significant other's son is about half a year out of college and has done well for himself. He studied int'l relations and has a job with an NGO in Quito, Ecuador that advises other nations on how to do big, traditional development projects in "green" or sustainable ways. The pay is OK (i.e., even in Quito, he has to has to share an apartment), but he gets to travel a lot and the work is exciting and intellectually engaging.

Now, you'd figure his mother's boyfriend would at least give him an "atta boy!" right? Wrong. I've been a complete heel, missing a chance to give him something for his graduation, his birthday, and Christmas. Despite this, he does not want to punch me out but is very friendly to me. So I figured I'd try to make up for it and get him a first-rate shaving kit—after checking that, yes, this is something he'd be interested in:

proxy.php

He had to leave on Sunday and the gear arrived yesterday, so I've got to forward it on to him (and take a picture of it for him and y'all :wink2:) He's getting:

• Merkur "Barber Pole" razor—he's tall and has big hands;
  • Rooney Style 1 in medium, and damn, medium is much bigger than small;
  • Stand shown;
  • TOBS Sandalwood because he likes Sandalwood incense;
  • The Santa Fe bowl shown for lathering (I gave him a little lecture on how to lather and will put in both an email and note the URL for the B&B method for lathering soap
  • Not shown: Feather blades and a razor bank
Things don't make up for missed events, but they're better than nothing. If I'm well enough to travel (still having nagging health problems) this spring, the sig.other and I will go visit.

(Why didn't I get him a straight? I figured that would lead straight to multiple ADs. I figure he'll pick up shaving with a DE fast enough—his girlfriend's dad uses a brush and a DE and I think that's still reasonable competition for multiblade madness there, so he'll have someone who can give him a hand if he needs it. Besides, I would be making him go to antique stores and what not to see if he could find NOS straights that here would be very expensive. This should be about him, not me...as difficult as that is for me.)

Last edited:
What a great idea! I'd certainly be glad of a gift like this. I hope he does well in his job and I'm sure he'll be getting BBS shaves in no time :thumbup1:

Top Bottom