What's new

30 year shaving journey: From Fusion to Rolls

If not for the amazing people at this place I would still be suffering with my "old" razor. Instead I just enjoyed my first shave with my "new" razor.
Never mind that my "old" razor is new, and my "new" razor is old.

Confused?

Well, I was too. But thanks to the most generous, civil and supportive group of people I have ever met anywhere, I dove headfirst into safety shaving. It's an easy thing to do when you know so many people have your back.

(I will try to post pictures of my "new" razor at the end of this post.)

My "old" razor was a Gillette Fusion. I used it but didn't like it. Shaving was a chore. I found myself avoiding shaving as much as I could. After finding Badger and Blade, I decided to try and convert the time I spent shaving; from time spent wishing it was over, into time spent enjoying myself. If you take your entire day and break it down into moments, the more moments that you can create for yourself (no matter how small) that bring you joy or happiness, the better.

Well, about an hour ago I finished my first shave with my "new" Rolls Razor. The Viscount model.

Judging by the way if performed, if this razor was ever used at all, it was maybe used a few times at the most. But I am stunned that the blade was still so sharp after all these years. Amazingly enough, it gave me a great shave. Recently, I have only had Fusion shaves , one shave on a Tech, and one on a Superspeed to compare to, but I have to say I am very impressed.

Compared to what I am accustomed to, it was a slow, almost methodical process...but it was very, very enjoyable, and I got great shave to boot. I lathered up with Geo. Trumpers lime and added Jack Blacks beard lube as well, and I applied the lather with a Kent V60. The shave soap and beard lube, I love. The brush not so much. Overall, it was a great shave. No nicks or cuts! I had this strange sense of accomplishment when it was over, like I just finished a marathon or something.

I would love to hear from anyone that has tried a Rolls, shaves with a Rolls or has any info about my particular model. Thanks to everyone here at Badger and Blade, you all gave me the knowledge and confidence to enter the addictive and mesmerizing world of safety blade shaving.

Some 30 years ago, my father taught me how to shave on a twist to open Gillette razor, it's nice to be back.

Is this strop dressing still good? How has this thing not dried out after all these years?

Blade is nestled back in storage, notice the handle tucked away on the left side.

Promoting Rolls grooming products on the back of the instruction booklet. Would love to get the whole line up!

That's a great write-up and a great looking Viscount! There are a few of us on here who use these regularly. I have about 9 of them at the moment. I love 'em. I rotate my way through DEs, SEs, straights, and injectors as well as the Rolls. Always happy with the Rolls shave. I have often said that it's the razor I'd pick if I could only have one. Although the differences, other than the case, are very minor between the Viscount and the Imperials, I do prefer the Imperial simply because the Aluminum operating handle in the Viscount turns my fingers black, lol. Keep enjoying that thing, they're great!

Thanks for the advice. 9 Rolls, wow! How did you acquire all of them? I didn't even buy mine...I don't have the money to buy one in that good a condition. A friend heard me talking about safety shaving and had it sitting around (it was his fathers) and offered it to me!

Ah...yes, I'll take it, thanks!!!

He didn't know the history of it, just that it hadn't been used too much and was old.

I was afraid to try it at first, but it was great.

Hi Baba!! GReat razor! That Viscount is likely around the mid 1950's I would think, possibly as high as late 50's.

It looks in great shape. That strop has very little use meaning the razor wasn't driven much at all. It is a great find and a great razor. Enjoy!! Make sure not to be afraid of it - they give really good shaves.

The strop paste should be absolutely fine to use. I use an old one I picked up somewhere - and I use it on multiple types of strops, not only my Rolls. It adds great color also if you have a vintage strop for demonstration but it is faded and tired looking. Who knows why it never dies?? It just doesn't! And that one will likely last you the rest of your life even if you use your razor faithfully (don't apply paste too often).

:thumbup1:

Thanks for the advice. 9 Rolls, wow! How did you acquire all of them?

Oh hell, I did have a few more! I sold off several of my nicer ones a little while back. I've been restoring straights recently and haven't gotten back to the Rolls pile to clean any more of them up for sale. I bought a couple and was given a few. They seem to multiply if left to their own devices! Then again, so do the rest of the razors!:lol:

Top Bottom