What's new

Scrubbing bubbles and brassing?

Scrubbing bubbles seems to be a popular razor cleaning product here, so I went out to buy some today. But I noticed that the instructions say something like "not recommended for use on brass" (ah, it's listed in the online directions too).

Can anyone shed light on this? I have a razor with some brassing that I'd like to clean up - but I don't want to do it any harm in the process.

Thanks!

I think with any cleaner....clothes stain remover, carpet cleaner, car polish, etc.... there is (almost) always the big label claiming it works for everything...then the fine print...use it on a tiny area first, may damage this, that, etc...
To the best of my knowledge, all the gillettes I have are brass... plated with something else, usually nickel in my case. It has worked well for me and I don't think I've caused any damage to them. Keeping in mind I am cleaning yardsale razors here....If I had a collectible I would certainly want to do some more homework! I know that's not much help, sorry :(

cc

Last edited:
Scrubbing bubbles seems to be a popular razor cleaning product here, so I went out to buy some today. But I noticed that the instructions say something like "not recommended for use on brass" (ah, it's listed in the online directions too).

Can anyone shed light on this? I have a razor with some brassing that I'd like to clean up - but I don't want to do it any harm in the process.

Thanks!

I have used SB on razors with brassing. I haven't noticed any problems.

Scrubbing bubbles warning about brass is directed at brass bathroom fixtures. Brass fixtures are coated with a clear acrylic to prevent tarnishing. Apparently Scrubbing Bubbles contains chemicals that can weaken the structural integrity of acrylics leading to premature tarnishing of the fixtures. They also warn about using Scrubbing Bubbles on acrylics and marble (which usually has the surface sealed with an acrylic)

It affects plastics not brass.

- Peter

Scrubbing bubbles warning about brass is directed at brass bathroom fixtures. Brass fixtures are coated with a clear acrylic to prevent tarnishing. Apparently Scrubbing Bubbles contains chemicals that can weaken the structural integrity of acrylics leading to premature tarnishing of the fixtures. They also warn about using Scrubbing Bubbles on acrylics and marble (which usually has the surface sealed with an acrylic)

It affects plastics not brass.

Excellent information, thanks. I'm also reassured by the positive anecdotes in this thread.

Just got an email back from SCJohnson re Scrubbing Bubbles.

"Scrubbing Bubbles (registered) is designed as a surface cleaner and hasn't been tested on personal care items such as razors. Please keep in mind that we design, formulate and test every product for specific household tasks. That's why we always recommend using products according to their label directions. As you've discovered from the website, Scrubbing Bubbles (registered) is not recommended for use on metals such as aluminum, brass, or bronze as it may affect the color or finish."

So says the manufacturer. Not sure this really answers the question; doesn't really say what, if anything, will happen to the brass. Personally, I like Greybeard's reasoning.

Top Bottom