What's new

I think I finally scored a rocket!

Yes indeedy a Rocket HD 500 Double Ring.

Nice shaver.

(Even if it wasn't I wouldn't go against Achim :001_smile )

Indeed a rocket, and you outbid me on it by 50 cents!! :mad::mad:
I was the one hour guy, I think. Actually I was the first bidder and put my $24 on it when it was first posted.

You are now obligated to post pics after you get them and clean them up. I think you will be able to put a real good shine on the rocket and red tip, too.

No really, it's OK. That was a good score. Despite the frequent outrageousness seen on evilBay you can come across a sweet deal like this from time to time.

Mate, I have a Rocket HD that I bought from an antique store. It was my first antique DE, and with an IP blade, shaves better than any I have bought since.
Well done!

You are now obligated to post pics after you get them and clean them up. I think you will be able to put a real good shine on the rocket and red tip, too.

I still intend to, but I have some sad news. What I thought looked like soap scum or other deposits on the heads of these is not. The finish has been damaged, in some places irreparably. Polishing is taking care of some of it on the red tip, but in some places the damage goes as deep as the finish, and is wearing off to brass.

The head of the rocket cocks off at a bit of an angle, and the base plate has a very slight twist to it. I've tried to straighten it, but it's behaving strangely. It wants to "pop" from one odd position to another. The safety bar is not bent, at least not in relation to the doors when closed. Looks like an even blade gap all around, but with the slight twist in the plate I can't help but think that it will be an 'odd' performer at best. The blade bar seems to straighten out when fully opened and fully closed, but in between one side is higher than the other. Some problem with this creates one lazy door which must be manually opened all the way.

The black handled superspeed I haven't touched yet. It appears to have some of the same damage as the red tip, leading me to believe that these were stored together while taking some kind of chemical damage.

This is my own fault, I hold the seller blameless. I purchase old razors that appear dirty for a reason - price - in the hopes that they clean up nicely. It's a chance I take and I can't always win.

Here's the red tip. It's not getting better. I've polished to the point that it's looking worse.
proxy.php

Top Bottom