What's new

Story of an afternoon's shopping trip in London...

Had a spare few hours yesterday afternoon whilst I was in town so I thought I'd wander through the St. James' area...

Getting off at Green Park tube I walked past the Ritz hotel and towards D. R. Harris. They have a small little store, old wooden shelves are stacked high with their own cosmetics stuff and also the general stock of a drug store. One gent came in and purchased a packet of paper tissues for 50p.

A little down the road was Truefitt and Hill. A very pleasant barber assisted a customer after his grooming in helping him with his crutches. The customer picked up four boxes of trafalgar soap (triple packs each) because 'they are such good gifts you know, sometimes there is never enough soap around when you are staying as a guest...' Again, the shop was quite small, but fully stocked with their goodies and a lot of razors/brushes/etc.

Taylors had a larger shop, but I really didn't like the atmosphere there. Seemed a little too full of annoying tourists. Moving quickly on...

Trumpers were hidden at the end of the road. Again, a small little shop with a barber downstairs. Three chairs all empty no-one to be seen but they were too busy, fully booked until the 20th January. Hahaha.

Floris were doing a roaring trade, but none of their perfumes would have pleased SWMBO.

Penhalligons had a little store in the arcade, more of a shop window.

There was a really smelly cheese shop that had a queue into the street. By appointment to the queen. Nothing like the Monty Python sketch. I'll have to pop back in one day, their stuff looked really good.

Finished off at Fortnum and Mason to buy SWMBO decaf tea.

I really liked Truefitt and Hill and will pop in there one day for a proper shave, the barber sounded really old-school and the gent was well groomed. If it is good enough for the Duke of Edinburgh, hell it's good enough for me.

Shall I take photos next time I have a spare afternoon to share with you all? To be honest, whilst the stuff is great the shops are a bit of a let down. The cheese shop was the greatest find!

I get to London a couple of times a year and really look forward to a stroll round that part of the town. I find that Trumpers, Taylor's, DR Harris and Truefitts are a delight to visit, and always end up buying something...whether I need it or not. A shirt or two is also usually bought from somewhere in the vicinity. The Cheese shop is I think called Paxton and Whitfield, I believe they have a website.

If you want to get an idea of what is about there or any other part of London try www.streetsensation.co.uk.

Top Bottom