What's new

REDOX Rolling Razor

Over the summer, while in New Hampshire I saw a really nice King Rolling Razor but had no idea what I was looking at. I honestly thought it was some sort of training razor to teach proper angle by having the rollers rub the skin. While traveling that day I googled the razor and saw the thread below on this site and it sparked my interest but I was glad I didn't but it as there were no blades with it.

At the last antique shop for the day I saw this REDOX and thought it was a little more than I wanted to spend at $35, it was in great shape, the case good and it had a tuck of blades with one used blade in the razor. Being a fan of using what I buy, I pried open the wallet and brought it home. The used blade fit nicely in a Twinplex Stropper so away I went until both edges where shining like new.

I can't say I will use it often, but I did a shave minus the mustache/chin and have to say it was not as scary as I was expecting. Full disclaimer - I was fully ready to have a cheese grated cheek and had the alum block at the ready. I would say the blade has more of a vibration feeling rather than sawing and the rollers worked pretty good. I did not find it that hard to maintain angle and rolling and felt it worked better if rolling vs a stationary blade. Had a few snaggy feeling spots when the roller did stop, but no bleeders. Does anyone else have a Rolling Razor that they have used, and if so how did you like it.

Attachments

• RR3.png
    RR3.png
    373.7 KB · Views: 46
  • RR2.png
    RR2.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 45
  • RR1.png
    RR1.png
    749.8 KB · Views: 46
Interesting curiosity, but the blade compatibility would make it hard to it being your go-to razor. I was imagining when I read rollers, it being the safety bars:
1700082771195.jpg

Interesting curiosity, but the blade compatibility would make it hard to it being your go-to razor. I was imagining when I read rollers, it being the safety bars:
Glad to see the gimmicks are still alive in shaving. On the blades, I have seen threads with people moding standard blades to work, but I wanted to try the original to get a true feel. I am sure the blades I have will last my lifetime.

I have been wanting to get a Stahly but just haven't pull the trigger yet. I feel I wouldn't be a fan either, but would like to try it

I have the King, but have never tried to modify a blade for it. Now I do have a Stahly and a Roller Razor baseplate and both have the rolling guards and both are outstanding razor heads (I'm no fan of the Stahly vibration).
The Stahly guard doesn't roll. It stays in the same orientation at all times.

It is, however, mounted on a system that gives a little; not springs exactly, but they act as stiff springs. I assume this was to compensate for the vibrations. I find that even using it on a standard handle without vibration there is a perceived benefit to not having the safety bar completely fixed.

Top Bottom