What's new

how many safety razors do you own?

inquiring minds want to know :biggrin: more importantly, is there anyone here that actually owns every Gillette model ever made? or do most of you with large collections have a lot of duplicates and triplicates?

I own 7 vintage Gillettes and 1 Merkur

I have a Merkur Slant and Futur I doubt I will be buying anymore for quite some time I got an ear full from SWMBO for buying the slant

my count right now is 87, and I'm not sure how to decide how many are duplicates. Do you count two identical razors with different finishes as duplicates? Slightly different handles? Different variations of superspeeds through the years, some minor and some major?

Do you count two identical razors with different finishes as duplicates? Slightly different handles? Different variations of superspeeds through the years, some minor and some major?

wow, where do you keep them all? by identical razors I mean two models of the same finish/handle/country of origin. for example, perhaps you have two E4 Fatboys in your collection, but then you might have a Gold Tech made in the US versus and English Tech (not a duplicate cuz they're slightly different)

I have a Merkur Slant and Futur I doubt I will be buying anymore for quite some time I got an ear full from SWMBO for buying the slant

oof. I know I shouldn't keep secrets from my missus but i've opted not to tell her of my new safety razor purchases. besides, the money comes out of my paypal account so it's technically my money.

R

rainman

2 Razors. 1 for face shaving. 1 for head shaving.

How did I do this? Sold all of my razors except for the 2.
Then shifted my addictions in another direction I was into B.W.S.(before wet shaving)

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Merkur Futur
11 vintage Gillettes
1 Gillette replica - undetermined where from and who
5 vintage Gillettes on their way
2 straights (hanging in the bathroom - for display only)

I would like to restrain myself, but the AD has gotten hold of me :001_smile

1948 Superspeed
1947 Superspeed
Black handled Superspeed
New Gillette w ball handle
New Gillette w straight handle
Gillette Tech
SEGAL safety razor which looks just like the New Gillette except the top stays on and you cannot get it to load a blade (anyone know this one?)
1961 Gillette Fatboy

Wp

Last edited:
It would be nearly impossible to own every Gillette model even if every model was known. I have 105 Gillette razors, 20 of which are dups I use in my rotation. I have only one other de, a Merkur 38C I used once and may not use again. I have 10 SE razors which include a Schick, 5 Valets, and 4 Gems. I have never sold a razor but have given a couple away. It would probably take a very special razor for me to buy any more. I don't own a Diplomat, President or Toggle and have no plans to get one in the near future.

Len

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
97, but in my defense, I just gave away 16 in a huge PIF for my workmates, and a half a dozen before that to various friends / family etc.

A few repeats, and about a 10 GEMs and Schicks.

These are all used as shavers in my rotation except for the Schick Injectors and one cased President.

I have never sold a single razor I have bought.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
20 or so, some duplicates. Less than one tenth of the number of fountain pens I own.

more than 200, less than 300. A few duplicates, but most are unique variants. Not all Gillette. I am far from having them all, but I am comfortable with my current line up.

Top Bottom