What's new

soaps not slick?

Well I have tried mama bears soap and also tobac and it seems no matter how much water I use it is not very slick compared to my creams. I get a nice dense lather like I would with creams but it is not slick.

I think most people have the exact opposite experience. I.e., soap lather is usually slicker but not as dense as cream lather.

Maybe you could try adding a couple of drops of glycerin?

I suggest trying this lathering method, just to see if you notice a difference. I know you said you are using plenty of water, but mama bears in particular is very slick (it's a glycerine soap).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY[/YOUTUBE]

I suggest trying this lathering method, just to see if you notice a difference. I know you said you are using plenty of water, but mama bears in particular is very slick (it's a glycerine soap).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY[/YOUTUBE]

+1 for this...
I think everybody should try this method, causeit's no1.
I usually use a badger but for this, I' ve switched to my boar brush.
The result is fantastic. Very close good shave, and tons of good quality lather.
3 times face lathering, and after that I started to swirl in the bowl, and I've made a full !!! bowl of very good lather.
(I've used a milled speick stick)
After that I've tried the palmolive soap as well...exactly the same result !!!
I gonna change my method with this cause worth it !

I think most people have the exact opposite experience. I.e., soap lather is usually slicker but not as dense as cream lather.

Maybe you could try adding a couple of drops of glycerin?

+1 on the glycerin. I use a drop or two with the Godrej Shave Round to get very slick lather - its a different shave experience than without.

I have yet to find a soap which isn't 'slick'; and not to be patronising to the other gents, but I don't believe spiking one's lather with one or two drops of glycerin will miraculously turn lather 'slick', unless it wasn't at all shaveworthy to begin with.

To answer the OP: I believe you have an issue picking up soap from the pucks. You state that you get a 'nice dense lather', but that's exactly the rub. If you had a nice, dense lather, you'd have a thick, creamy and even slick product on your hands. You cannot create one without the other. Soaps in general are a bit different from creams, true, but not so much that one is slick and the other is not. So either use less water when building, or load longer with a slightly more moist brush (or both, of course). Also try building longer. Air is a vastly underrated component in any slick lather.

+1 for this...
The result is fantastic. Very close good shave, and tons of good quality lather.
3 times face lathering, and after that I started to swirl in the bowl, and I've made a full !!! bowl of very good lather.

+2 much appreciated!

+1 for this...

+2 much appreciated!

Well I tried the mamabears again and loaded the brush for longer. I also squeeded a little of the lather out of the brush and loaded it again and lathered in the bowl and it felt slick enough. I got a good 4 passes out of the lather in my bowl. I guess I just needed some pratice to achieve a slick enough lather. Man do I love the orange scent.

I did, once, a number of years ago, Given a mermaid bay shaving soap and had a crap shave with it and not been tempted to use one since. I do have to admit I never had a brush at the time and I suspect that and poor technique had a lot to do with it.

I am tempted to try some soaps, but again, in NZ, like so many shaving products, they are hard to come by and tend to be a little too much for my wallet.

Well I tried the mamabears again and loaded the brush for longer. I also squeeded a little of the lather out of the brush and loaded it again and lathered in the bowl and it felt slick enough. I got a good 4 passes out of the lather in my bowl. I guess I just needed some pratice to achieve a slick enough lather. Man do I love the orange scent.

Congrats! Every soap can be a little different. Each takes a little trial and error to figure out.

i have a similar experience as op. i use straight razors which i know are shave ready but even with prepping my face and using something like a preshave the razor doesnt glide. it cuts amazingly but no glide i attribute this to the shave soap as ive noticed its similkar but more intense wth soaps that are know not to be the most slick soaps also despite hoiw much water i ad or how long i lather the soap it starts to dry ot withing 10 seconds or so of applying meaning by the time i have applied and wash and dry my hands it already looks not wet or moist even. so i have to apply more. its a conundrum for me as i do add water to make it look slick in the bowl but it starts drying very quickly if im trying to be thorough on my face one side will be pretty much dried up before i get to the other side. may have something to do with my skin being dry so i may apply some nivea cream a few minutes before shaving and see if that helps

Top Bottom