What's new

soaps not slick?

i have a similar experience as op. i use straight razors which i know are shave ready but even with prepping my face and using something like a preshave the razor doesnt glide. it cuts amazingly but no glide i attribute this to the shave soap as ive noticed its similkar but more intense wth soaps that are know not to be the most slick soaps also despite hoiw much water i ad or how long i lather the soap it starts to dry ot withing 10 seconds or so of applying meaning by the time i have applied and wash and dry my hands it already looks not wet or moist even. so i have to apply more. its a conundrum for me as i do add water to make it look slick in the bowl but it starts drying very quickly if im trying to be thorough on my face one side will be pretty much dried up before i get to the other side. may have something to do with my skin being dry so i may apply some nivea cream a few minutes before shaving and see if that helps
Maybe you need to incorporate more water in your lather. That will give the lather more slickness and will not dry as fast on your face either. Now I don't shave with straights but it sounds like you need more water. Which soap are you using?

If it's drying on your face, dip the tips of your brush in water and add it directly on your face.

This time of year, my bathroom is very, very dry (first vent off the furnace) so I just lather half my face at a time.

Maybe you need to incorporate more water in your lather. That will give the lather more slickness and will not dry as fast on your face either. Now I don't shave with straights but it sounds like you need more water. Which soap are you using?
like i saiud i added water till it couldent evenly provide a layer of protection till it was at the verge of just dripping off the brush and even then it didnt feel all that slick. with many different soaps also,

well that contradicts what ive heard. would that mean you add more water to the brush?
More soap will mean more water as well as you still want to hit that "hydrated but stable" window.

Would be willing to humor me next time you lather up by trying something new just for the same of troubleshooting? -- Try again just as you did before but load from the puck for a solid 60 seconds. Actually count out loud to 60. Press hard enough that the brush starts to splay but doesn't completely open. While loading, if the brush wants to stick to the puck, dip the tip in water and keep loading, dip again if it starts to stick again. A whole minute.

DO this and you'll absolutely beyond doubt have loaded enough soap. Add plenty of water and if you're still having issues we'll know it's not the amount of soap being loaded.

Eben Stone

Staff member
it cuts amazingly but no glide i attribute this to the shave soap as ive noticed its similkar but more intense wth soaps that are know not to be the most slick soaps
Why would you bother with anything less than the slickest soaps?

also despite hoiw much water i ad or how long i lather the soap it starts to dry ot withing 10 seconds or so of applying
You cant just keep adding more water. There is a certain water to soap ratio that needs to be dialed in. Some soaps are much more tolerant than others in how much water that can accept. Also, you need to add water slowly. I add about 5 drops of water at a time while churning with the brush in a bowl. Some soaps I add 5 drops. Other soaps I add 150. It depends on the soap and how much I've loaded in the brush. I add water until I start to get droopy peaks. Or a melted marshmallow like consistency.

i added water till it couldent evenly provide a layer of protection till it was at the verge of just dripping off the brush
That sounds like too much water.

it didnt feel all that slick. with many different soaps also
Which soaps? Go ahead and name names. Just be aware, the advice might be to try something else.

Well I have tried mama bears soap and also tobac and it seems no matter how much water I use it is not very slick compared to my creams. I get a nice dense lather like I would with creams but it is not slick.
Sound like you may not be loading enough product. Load for longer and see how that works. My Tabac (new non-tallow version) produces great lather. No experience with Mama Bear.

Top Bottom