What's new

Hair Tonic Sampler Group Buy/Split!

:a50::a50::a50::a50::a50::a50::a50::a50::a50::a50:

Alright Gents and Gals, I've been working on something fun for a little while now. I've gotten approval to go ahead with a hair tonic group buy/split that will allow us to sample several different hair tonics without breaking the bank.

The plan:
As soon as all logistics are worked out as far as what participants want I will ask for payment and begin purchasing the initial supply tonics and bottles from distributors. I will decant and ship nine 1oz samples to either 16 or 32 members (you'll see why later) depending on interest.

Why?
As with many of the kinds of products we discuss here on the boards, it is difficult to understand the difference in quality, scent, and performance of something without sampling; however, unlike many of the products we use here, to my knowledge there is no reliable source for sampling tonics. My purpose for this buy, then, is to allow members to get a feel for the different varieties of tonic (ie Portugal, Quinine, Brilliantine, hair lotion, etc.), not necessarily a difference in brands.

What?
I've chosen several tonics for this buy based upon their differences in characteristics, popularity on the boards of B&B, lower prices (making it easy to sample a variety), and their scarcity for most of us on a local level.

Logistics:
Here is a spreadsheet outlining the current tentative plan (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttUeO-oRZXtdFNDSXZhNnlCcWtXVV9WQ1c1R0JBTnc&hl=en#gid=0). It is downloadable so that people can check my work and play with alternatives if they wish. The reason I have chosen to go with 16 or 32 people should be clear. Pashana bottles are 8.5 ounces in size. If we purchase 2 bottles 17 samples are possible; 1 for me and 16 for everybody else. Extra volume I will either keep (at my expense) or distribute as individual samples. Because I don't think I can handle more than 32 I may do a random.org drawing for participation if there is more interest than that.

So far, the approximate cost is ~$20 for 9 samples, shipped ConUS.
Due to difficulty in shipping alcoholic liquids this split will be ConUS via Priority mail flat rate boxes.

Here's where you come in:
What do you think? Interested? What would you like to see that isn't there, or what would you change? Please help me make this a successful and interesting experience for everyone.

Thanks!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I'd be in on something like this. I need to focus my AD's on something non shave related (due to the '11 shave sabatical). Interesting little tid bit. I was curious about hair tonics a few weeks ago and bought some vitalis. Used it once and thought man this stuff will clash with any kind of cologne. Be nice to sample some others that have there own distinct smelly goodness!

I am always tempted by these group buys. And since hair lotions are one of my most favourite products, it is even more so. However, since I have bought most of the tonics listed it won't do me any good to take a spot on the roster. I just wanted to jump in and cheer lead a bit for the OP. If it is okay?:blushing:

I can tell you this is one of the best groups buys I have ever seen. Even though the lotions are not terrifically expensive, they do come in eight to twelve ounce bottles and take awhile to use up. At anywhere from $8-24 per bottle PLUS shipping, I have put way more than the paltry cost of this group buy into my purchases. Jump on this fast. Especially if the Pashana Blue Orchid is on the list.

Regards, Todd

Thanks a lot for the support Todd, and guys, if there is something you'd like to see on the list let me know. Other suggestions I've come across are Osage Run, Jeris, and Clubman Greasless. Really, if you want to add something, remove something or swap something from the list say so.

(I opted to exclude Jeris because it's so easy to get locally, but if people want it in the buy...)

Last edited:
One thought I had was that if you are going to purchase these on an as needed basis -would an ala carte menu work?
Like Todd I have tried most of them but would like to try the rest as well.

One thought I had was that if you are going to purchase these on an as needed basis -would an ala carte menu work?
Like Todd I have tried most of them but would like to try the rest as well.

That's certainly a possibility. I don't, however want to get stuck with a bunch of extra product that nobody wants. If I buy a bottle of Brilliantine and only four people buy a sample of it, I'm stuck with half a bottle I can't use (I'm blondish) at my expense. If there is a way around that I'd be glad to work out the details.

That's certainly a possibility. I don't, however want to get stuck with a bunch of extra product that nobody wants. If I buy a bottle of Brilliantine and only four people buy a sample of it, I'm stuck with half a bottle I can't use (I'm blondish) at my expense. If there is a way around that I'd be glad to work out the details.

My thought was to have the men pre order the items they want then you could buy it as needed?

My thought was to have the men pre order the items they want then you could buy it as needed?

I did think of that. I think it still gets a bit problematic, though, in that if I we get any number of people that equates to less than a full split (5,6,7 people) for any particular item I'd have to tell them, "Sorry, no dice." The prices I have are also dependent on a minimum order from West Coast Shaving for free shipping to me (though I tend to think that should be easy to hit). Are there particular ones that you want to try? I mean if there is just absolutely a ton of demand for one or two Items, maybe we could work something out, but remember that the fewer items that get shipped per order the higher the per item cost.

I do like that, logistically, this is much easier. I don't have to figure out who wants what, which box goes where, who owes how much, shipping is a flat price, and nobody has to worry whether or not I screwed up what they wanted. I also tend to think that few people will buy only one or two items as shipping will easily double the cost.

Last edited:
Chaps, I am bumping this for the OP(and no, he did not know I was doing it). Stop mucking about and get on the list.

One chap asked about a matte finish product. ANY of the friction lotions by Pashana or the greaseless lotions by Pinaud essentially have no shine to them. You would have to use a LOT of product to see it on the hair. I can only tell you my favourites by scent. Numero uno is Pashana Blue Orchid. Followed closely by Pinaud Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine. The Pashana "original" is a heavy, sweet oriental affair that reminds me of Tabu perfume for ladies. Do not just slather it on! Caution with that one.

Regards, Todd

Does it have to be CONUS only? I've gotten perfumes and aftershaves sent to me before with no trouble. As a trainee barber I would love the chance to sample hair tonics.
I understand if you don't want to but if you change your mind please count me it!

Does it have to be CONUS only? I've gotten perfumes and aftershaves sent to me before with no trouble. As a trainee barber I would love the chance to sample hair tonics.
I understand if you don't want to but if you change your mind please count me it!

Sorry, Barber Eile, but I am afraid that it will need to stay stateside.
Here is the USPS website for international shipping of hazardous materials. (http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc1_014.htm). The consensus on the nets seems to be that perfume is not okay to ship as it easily falls under the 200 degree F flashpoint rules, and aftershave is questionable. I wouldn't mind sending you some, so I'll see if I can't find more info on the situation, but for the time being I have to stick to ConUS.

I'd be in on something like this. I need to focus my AD's on something non shave related (due to the '11 shave sabatical). Interesting little tid bit. I was curious about hair tonics a few weeks ago and bought some vitalis. Used it once and thought man this stuff will clash with any kind of cologne. Be nice to sample some others that have there own distinct smelly goodness!

:c6:

Non-shaving rationalization, check.

Group buy rationalization, double check.

I'm in.

I do not think I could use anything like this, but if you are short a person you can count me in so you can proceed with the order and keep the cost down. It will give my husband or son something to experiment with. :w00t:

I do not think I could use anything like this, but if you are short a person you can count me in so you can proceed with the order and keep the cost down. It will give my husband or son something to experiment with. :w00t:

Thanks Wendy! You're a sweetheart :001_wub:. We still need a few folks more for this to work out, so I'm hoping we can raise some more interest in the next little bit. Here's hoping!

Announcement: In an attempt to increase participation, any members participating in this buy that live within a reasonable distance from me (ie the Salt Lake Valley, Ogden area) can wave the shipping fees and Paypal fees (~$6) if we can schedule a way to meet up and do the exchange by hand. That makes it ~$14 for a sampler of the current lineup. I know there are a few of you out there...

Last edited:
Top Bottom