What's new

First restoration - in pictures

This was my first restoration and I couldn’t have done it without the help of many of you who have helped answer my questions in various posts. I thought I’d just close the loop by showing what I did. Please note – there’s nothing new here and it’s all been described before by others!

It started with this brush – a Fuller with a nice looking handle but very tough and bristly hair.

proxy.php

I started by chopping off the hair with a utility knife, leaving me with this:
proxy.php

I clamped the handle in a vice, protecting it with a strip of material that I cut from an old mouse pad, and using a drill to drill out the old hair (note that the handle in the vice is from a later stage of the project:001_smile:
proxy.php
proxy.php

I also used a Dremel with the grinding and sanding wheel attachments as I found that the drill couldn’t do a good enough job with the very hard residual glue that was in the brush.
proxy.php

Eventually I found myself at the original “shelf” where the previous knot had rested:
proxy.php

This is the knot that I had chosen and purchased from TGN – a 22 mm diameter Silvertip Grade A knot (the diameter of the opening was 23 mm):
proxy.php

I wanted to get a relatively short loft as I face lather, so clearly the shelf where I was at, was going to be much to shallow to seat the knot at the correct depth. So spurred on by various B&Bers, I went ahead and continued to drill through the base shelf, expecting – as I had been told – that the brush would be hollow below this. And so it turned out:
proxy.php

I cleaned it all out with the Dremel. Then I measured how far from the rim of the handle I would need to seat the brush and I proceeded to fill the handle with marine epoxy – to a point somewhere above this point (I knew that I would have to grind the epoxy down at a later stage).
proxy.php

Filling the handle with the glue was a bit tricky. I tried mixing the glue and then using stir sticks to transfer it into the handle. This worked OK but I had to be really careful not to dribble any on the outside of the handle. I also realized that because the glue had a double spout, I could squeeze it right into the handle and then mix it in the handle, and that worked well enough.

Eventually I was left with this:
proxy.php

After 24 hours, I proceeded to Dremel down to the correct level with regard to my desired loft (45 mm) and then it was just a matter of putting a little more glue into the handle and then placing the knot.

And this is the result. I’m pretty happy with it and can't wait to use it!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Excellent Job!

And a well documented restore, should help lotsa people out there :thumbup:

Hopefully you got a real nice feeling of self satisfaction.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Damn fine....this can be a post to bookmark and point to for all the new quys wanting to give this a shot.

A real fine restore and an excellent pictorial of the whole process.

Shave well with that nice old Fuller classic.

Good stuff, and thanks for the pictorial! I just logged on to search for what to do after cutting down the bristles, ends up no search was needed. Nice work!

Fantastic!!! I just got some old brushes off Ebay. You sure helped with questions I have. I hope my project turns out half as nice as yours.. GREAT JOB!!!!

Hi, David.

Thanks for the tutorial. It helps a lot for those of us who are thinking about a first restore. The brush looks great!

In the picture of the original "shelf," was the surface actually the glue plug of the old knot? I ask because in the pic, it looks like the surface is comprised of very compacted hairs, maybe impregnated with rubber or glue. It looks like some small chunks of hair have been chipped out of the surface, and other parts of the surface have the texture of hair bunched together.

I wonder if the brush handle was originally molded so that there's a little rim that runs around the inside on which the plug of the knot sits, and is glued to - so there's no real shelf, just a rim on the handle (the flat surface is the ground and filed down glue plug)?

Just wondering. What do you think?

K.T.

Thanks all for your kind comments. As I said, it wouldn't have happened without all the excellent posts that already exist on this topic from everyone else.

With regard to K.T.'s question:
...In the picture of the original "shelf," was the surface actually the glue plug of the old knot? I ask because in the pic, it looks like the surface is comprised of very compacted hairs, maybe impregnated with rubber or glue. It looks like some small chunks of hair have been chipped out of the surface, and other parts of the surface have the texture of hair bunched together.

I wonder if the brush handle was originally molded so that there's a little rim that runs around the inside on which the plug of the knot sits, and is glued to - so there's no real shelf, just a rim on the handle (the flat surface is the ground and filed down glue plug)?...K.T.

I'm not 100% sure I know the answers, but others (including Ian (fidjit) who has restored the exact same type of brush) may chime in. I see what you mean about the compacted hairs, and that is what they probably are - hair remnants; it was really difficult to tell, when doing the drilling and grinding, what was what. To me the "shelf" seemed to be of a different texture/quality to what I had already drilled out and I thought it was probably some sort of rubber material. You can also see, in the image, that there is a metal ring around the inside of the handle at that location - maybe that ring was attached to a rubber (or other) shelf?

H
In the picture of the original "shelf," was the surface actually the glue plug of the old knot? I ask because in the pic, it looks like the surface is comprised of very compacted hairs, maybe impregnated with rubber or glue. It looks like some small chunks of hair have been chipped out of the surface, and other parts of the surface have the texture of hair bunched together.

I wonder if the brush handle was originally molded so that there's a little rim that runs around the inside on which the plug of the knot sits, and is glued to - so there's no real shelf, just a rim on the handle (the flat surface is the ground and filed down glue plug)?

Just wondering. What do you think?

K.T.

The shelf is part of the molded top half. What you can see is the molded top with a bit of leftover glue and bristle I'm guessing. Unlike the TGN knots I don't think the original knots had a discrete holder on them. The bristle was pretty much set directly into the handle/shelf with glue/rubber...... These pics might give you a better idea ( then again I might be completely misreading your question) :001_smile
proxy.php
proxy.php

Or because of my lack of "real" tools, maybe you can see the thickness of the molded shelf better here ( on a similar Fuller even down to the two cracks at the top of the handle )
proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The pics of the disassembled brush are really instructive. Thanks for that.

It almost seems like the underside of the shelf my be the rubber that the hairs are set in (it looks poured instead of molded or turned, like the rest of the black top part). Maybe that's what it is, and why when you grind down to that point it looks like hairs are imbedded in that shelf.

Anyway, great tutorial and I'm always learning something new and useful here at B&B. Thank you.

Reading your post and the other excellent brush restoration tutorials, I feel like I can approach it with some confidence. I only hope my efforts will be as nice as yours!

K.T.

With a Simpson, what kind of knot are you going to do? Another TGN? or are you going to try and put a Shavemac or something else in it?

With a Simpson, what kind of knot are you going to do? Another TGN? or are you going to try and put a Shavemac or something else in it?

i've just drilled out the knot and measured the opening: 21mm. as for what to put in there, i would like something the hybrid to bulb range, nice and dense with reasonably soft tips.

suggestions are welcome. i am quite new to this.

v.

Top Bottom