What's new

A Visit to Japan's one and only Strop Man

full

I have been meaning to make a trip to the man who makes all of the strops here in Japan, better known as 'Kanayama' (in actuallity it is Kanoyama with and 'o' not and 'a').

His strops have been used and praised by a few people here and they are known for being top quality cordovan.

After visiting with Mr. Naomi and his wife I am told that he took over his father's strop business and that his family has been making strops for over 100 years. Now, because demand is quite low he only makes about 20~30 a month and is focusing on other leather goods; wallets etc.

Before I get on to the pics, I brought along my two strops a Tony Miller Latigo and Horsehide strop and my Vintage Argentina. His first comment was on how firm the leather was on the TM. He explained that his strops are all very soft and provide the best possible finish on the razor or other edged blade. Whether the pliability changes anything I don't know but his opinion was that a softer more pliable leather was best. Even his thickest strops were vey soft.

He told me that no matter the markings on his strops ('French Hide' ... 'Five Stars' ... 'Llama' ... 'Special Quality' ... 'Deluxe' ... 'Pelican' ... etc.) they are all horsehide, but not necessarily cordovan.

The non-cordovan ones were very thick (1/4 inch) and very stiff. They were labeld Pelikan and have the outerside of the skin on top (slightly textured). He said that it is more abbrasive than the inner side. The higher quality cordovan have the inner softer side on top.

He explained that when stropping you want to use the linnen first to remove the oil off of the blade edge. Follow that by the outerside slightly textured non-cordovan horsehide. And to finally finish with the cordivan. He said that this progession is the best.

There were also some shorter non-cordovan horsehide strops that weren't labeled Pelican that were the same feel as my TM horsehide. The difference between these and the thicker pelican ones was thickness and a non textured top side.

After spending about an hour talking about leather and strops, I came away with one of his textured non-cordovan Pelikan Strops and a Llama 70000. The Llama 70000 is the top of the Llama range and is very rare. The reason being, that he very rarely can source such thick cordovan to make one. Most of the ones he makes now are thinner yet are still cordovan.

A word on the numbers assigned to each strop. Each 'branding' has its own numbering system. In each line the highest numbers are the thickest leather. But all of the cordovan strops are the same in every other respect. So if you have a Fine Stars and think 'I shold get a Llama 50000!' Well the only difference is going to be the thickness of the leather.

He has also stopped making strops with sewn handles and the sewing was getting to be too much trouble.

Now on to the pictures.

His store front doubles as the front door to his home.

full

Here is a line-up of Llama strops.

full

A picture of the 70000.

full

Here is the Pelican 'American Type'. You can see the texture of the outer skin on the top of the strop.

full

full

And the man himself.

full

That's all, I hoped you enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hanzo

Wonderful , thanks for this post, l learned something. I always imagined that a factory produced the Kanayama strop , nice to see its the serene Mr. Naomi crafting them.

What a post. Just when I thought I didn't need anything, I noticed the second strop from the right in the first picture.:o16:

A word on the numbers assigned to each strop. Each 'branding' has its own numbering system. In each line the highest numbers are the thickest leather. But all of the cordovan strops are the same in every other respect. So if you have a Fine Stars and think 'I shold get a Llama 50000!' Well the only difference is going to be the thickness of the leather.

Thank you for this Seth, I had been searching for this specific info. I had a brief exchange with JimR (at SRP), who has owned two Kanoyamas as well as talked to the man himself over the phone, he shared his impressions on the comparison.
One of the pictures I've seen of someone stropping a Japanese blade gave me the impression of how supple these strops seem to be and got me wondering about them.

Do you know of a vendor in Japan that would ship internationally? I can only assume Mr. Naoumi does not do direct business unless a direct visit is payed.

Do you know of a vendor in Japan that would ship internationally? I can only assume Mr. Naoumi does not do direct business unless a direct visit is payed.

He's not in Japan, but Martin Niemoller sells them and ships internationally. That's who I bought mine from. It really is a fantastic strop - both the cordovan and the linen (which is frequently unsung yet equally important), and is what's currently hanging on my bathroom door.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the great pics and informative post. :thumbup:

RoyalKoop, I think you purchased my Kintaka strop, how are you liking it?

These things have awesome, awesome feeling leather. And are just beautiful to see and touch.

How's it working for you?

Awesome post Seth! You always score the good stuff over there in Japan! I like your style!

I've been eying these for a while but never felt comfortable buying one without a little more knowledge. This thread helps!

Here are a couple I'd like to understand the difference between:

First one from Rasurpur.
proxy.php

This one is from Rasage Poulin (one strop, two pictures). It does have a separate linen strop behind the leather.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Can anyone shed any light on the differences?

Thank you for the interesting post. It's a pleasure to see craftsmen at work. Does he have an apprentice to take over the business?

Oh mans. I want one of these. I have this attraction to badass Japanese products. Kanoyama, Nakayama, Tosuke, Naniwas... Japanese stuff is hard on the wallet!

:biggrin: Thanks M. How's the linen, have you treated yours with any paste?

It's made of cotton, but it's extremely thick and stout, with a good weave that seems to be rough enough to work well but not so rough as to damage the edge. It's not pasted - I actually only have a few strops that are treated with paste.

Top Bottom