What's new

Blade Talk

M

modern man

get a blade sample pack and find out man:biggrin:

i havent found a fav yet but im still looking too!

Ok-Newbie here, Merkur vs. Derby..Who wins. :wink2:

There may be a couple guys here who rate the Merkurs highly, but not very many, and certainly not me. Between the two, Derby wins hands down. They're actually my favorite -- I find them consistent and smooth, and sharp but not to the point of bloodletting (like with Feathers).

You'll find a lot of guys around here who are nuts about the Feathers though, and rightfully so -- they deliver awesome shaves, but they're a hard beast to tame. Its one of those things everyone has a preference on based on their skin type and their shave technique -- you won't really find a consensus. My best advice is to pick up the letterk sampler here and/or the Asian "Techno" DE Sampler from Rene (SSLStudio) and figure out what works best for you!

I picked up the blade sampler from letterk, and started with the Derbys. So I can't compare them to the Merkur's yet. I will say, however, that I'm very happy with how the Derbys perform.

Mike

I think the best blade will vary depending on your own technique and razor. I tend to use a different blade type in each razor.

Yeah, I prefer Derbys over Merkurs overall, but I tend to use Israeli Personnas in my Gillette SS and Derbys in my Merkur 1904. It is really a razor/person thing in choosing the best blade. Nothing like trying them out. If you are going to buy just Derby blades though, eBay is likely your best best. I would really suggest one of the previously mentioned samplers though just so you can try each out. Some swear by Derby blades while others just swear at them as they clean up their weepers.

I prefer Derbys over Merkurs, but only slightly. The Derbys give a better shave when new, but the Merkurs give me more good shaves per blade.

So far, I think my favorite blades are the Israelis and Feathers.

Tim

First of all, to answer the question that started this thread: Derby for definate!!!, I have tried a few Merkur blades and none of the shaves came close to the Derbys....but, as they say here.....YMMV!!

Secondly - I was shopping with HID yesterday, and one of the shops we went into was 'Wilkinsons' (A very 'Budget' chain store in UK). My wife likes to go here to pick up the 'Consumables' with very little loss of money!:biggrin:
Well......I walked along the toiletries aisle and stumbled across some DE razor blades. Being an 'Addict' to the new found DE shaving world, I had to investigate closer. The blades were named (if I remember correctly) 'Laser' or 'Lazer' blades. They were in the 'standard' packaging (much like the Derby Extra box, or carton), each containing (I think) 5 blades. The cost was an incredible 39 Pence!!! or roughly 72 US Cents a pack.
After I stood back up from the shock, I placed the blades back on the shelf. "surely at that price, they'd tear your face up" I said to myself, and walked on along the aisle. Since seeing these blades 2 things have played on my mind: 1. Has anyone on B&B ever heard or seen these blades? 2. Has anyone ever used these blades, and if so, how do they rate??

Razorlite, for that price, why didn't you just pick up a pack to try them? If the first shave (or even the first few strokes) was awful, you could just throw them out with no big loss.

Tim

Razorlite, for that price, why didn't you just pick up a pack to try them? If the first shave (or even the first few strokes) was awful, you could just throw them out with no big loss.

Tim
:blush: I know, I thought the same thing when I got home, If I see them again I will.

No one blade is better or worse than the other. Some faces do well with one and others don't. As for me, I am a Derby man.

No one blade is better or worse than the other. Some faces do well with one and others don't. As for me, I am a Derby man.

No one blade is better or worse than the other. Some faces do well with one and others don't. As for me, I am a Swedish Gillette man.

Top Bottom