What's new

Where to buy in Washington, DC area

Thought I would start a thread on where to buy shaving related stuff in the Washington, DC area, in part because I do not have that many to list and thought other might have places I do not know about.

Rodman's
5100 Wisconsin Ave
Washington, DC
(Downstairs)

By far the best I have found in the DC area. Nothing shaving at the other two Rodman's stores. Decent selection of fairly high end and reasonably priced edts, AS, shave creams, shave soaps, bowels, brushes, face scrubs, hair tonics, I think, but not sure, blades. I do not know about DE razors and I so not think straights. Decent selection of Pinaud/Clubman products. Tweezerman. Thai Crystal. Great and bargain wine, beer, and interesting food and produce store, too. Small appliances, too, by golly!

Shopper's Food & Pharmacy
6360 Seven Corners Ctr
Falls Church, VA

Great ethnic section, in this case meaning Hispanic. Superior 70 Alcoholado, my favorite smelling bay rum at $3.99 750 ml. (I am still looking for the mentholated version, however.) Murray and Lanman Florida and Kananga Water, and various rose, lavender, violet, and other waters made by the same manufacturer and others, all very inexpensive, all pretty much wonderful. Lots of colognes and brilliantines that I really know nothing about that look intriguing. Unusual brands of things like witch hazel. Lots of bath soaps that seem interesting that I have never seen anywhere else. Do not seem to have the M&L Florida Water soap though.

Great Wall Asian Market
2982 Gallows Rd
Falls Church, VA (Merrifield)

Liushen Florida Water (nothing like Murray and Lanman, lots of menthol, very nice after shave, love the bottle) and Snake Brand Pickly Heat Powder (mentholated talc, only in white, so maybe not as good on the face as say Clubman, but very refreshing stuff). Also lots of great smelling very inexpensive bath soaps in sandalwood, jasmine, etc. Probably lots of good stuff like shampoo, hair dressing, and face scrubs if I knew what I was looking at!

Sally's Beauty Supply

Various locations, very hit or miss for men's stuff, but sometimes have decent selection and truly excellent prices on Clubman and Masters products of various type, Jervis hair dressing, things like that. Consistently have talc brushes of several types including classic barbershop versions and what I consider a much superior large, black soft "bristled" brush, that seems indispensable to me, each for very reasonable prices. Good place to pick up a gallon of witch hazel. Maybe some decant bottles.

Safeway
4701 Sangamore Rd, Bethesda

Excellent selection of ethic hair products, this time meaning African American. Murray's (of various types), Royal Crown, 360 Style, lots of other stuff I wish I knew more about.

Walgreens in various locations is okay, not great, and is expensive for Clubman/Pinaud and its own brand of face scrub and shave cream. Does not seem to have Superior 70 in the stores around here, however, although it lists it on-line. Probably a good place for Aqua Velva and the like, though.

Harris Tweeter seems to have a good selection of things like Aqua Velva and Brut, too, as does Rodman's.

Bed Bath and Beyond, too, for the standard after shaves, decant type bottles, and some harder to get items, at least they have had them sometimes, such as ShaveKing products, including shaving oil (not bad actually, if you are wanting a shaving oil, which I do not really) and Pacific Shaving Company shaving oil (which did not seem useful to me).

Bethesda Co-Op, 6500 Seven Locks Rd. Cabin John, MD

Good selection of Thayers witch hazels. Some interesting soaps, but not shaving soaps. Provence Sante edts. Lots of Burts Bee's stuff, but not the bay rum. Things like tea tree oil, if you have a use for that. Probably good for ingrown hairs and razor rash.

Whole Foods must have something of interest, but nothing comes to mind.

I have not been to the Art of Shaving at any of its locations in this area, or to The Grooming Lounge at 1745 L Street, NW, DC or at Tysons Corner. Never saw a reason to go. Can see whatever they carry on line. Have not heard anything of particular interest re The Grooming Lounge as far as products--could definitely see getting a "treatment" there though.

Seems pretty weak, but that is about all I know about. I must be leaving out someone. There are some other Sally's like places around, but none I have been to are any better or much different than Sally's for men's stuff. There must be a barber supply place around here somewhere with interesting things, but I have not found or been to it.

"Over"

Last edited:
That's a great list! The larger whole foods stores in the area have Thayer's. I'll add Bellacara in Alexandria -- they carry Diptyque and Creed colognes, as well as some boutique shave lines (Kiehl's and some others I don't recall).

That's a great list! The larger whole foods stores in the area have Thayer's. I'll add Bellacara in Alexandria -- they carry Diptyque and Creed colognes, as well as some boutique shave lines (Kiehl's and some others I don't recall).

I have seen it said that Costco actually has Creed but I have not seen it there locally. Also, that should have been "King of Shaves" not "ShaveKind" at Bed Bath and Beyond. Bellacara looks great, albeit very high-end. Is it exclusively high-end?

I have seen it said that Costco actually has Creed but I have not seen it there locally. Also, that should have been "King of Shaves" not "ShaveKind" at Bed Bath and Beyond. Bellacara looks great, albeit very high-end. Is it exclusively high-end?

I'd say mostly, but not exclusively. I wouldn't put Kiehl's in the same boat with Creed, for example. Maybe they had the Jack Black stuff? I remember a couple of other lines, just not certain what they were, as they were of no particular interest to me at the time.

The Grooming Lounge has plenty of creams, some soaps, DE razors (albeit high priced) and a few brushes. Definitely worth the trip to check them out. Both the downtown store and the Tysons store are fairly stocked.

Add to that:

The Grooming Lounge on L Street which carries TOBS, Baxter, lots of DE/Straight razors, Lucky Tiger, and some brushes too.

Across the Street from them

Art of Shaving
Which carries a wide variety of their products.

Both locations have a barber who will shave you, but The Grooming Lounge uses an M3, AOS I believe uses a straight.

Wholefoods on P
Kiss My Face (of different varieties)
as well as many other organic items (Dr Bronner soaps), Bert's Bees, I think it also carried Waleda cream.

Other than those I don't know of any others.

Great post!! Pickings are pretty slim overall, it seems.

WF on Wisconsin & Albemarle has a good selection of KMF products and some Thayer's.

Ahhh, Rodman's. I've shopped there for 30+ years. There are some funny stories. The shaving supplies selection is interesting but small & eccentric. To me, the food section is the most fun. Along with a huge number of ethnic items, they have the best seasonal produce you can buy in DC other than in a farmer's market.

I am going to check out Sally's (Sally Beauty on their website). I like Clubman! Target has a limited supply of shaving products, but very good prices. There Aqua Velve is $5 for a double sized bottle. They also have good prices on Nivea. I like Johnsons Baby Oil as a preshave oil. Target has a low price on both regular and Lavender.

Rodmans only has a few DE Blade brands and not razors, DE or straight. This is suprising, give how much other stuff they have.

Safeway and Whole Paycheck...er...Whole Foods has Kis My Face. MON (Mon's Organic Market) has some shaving stuff too.

Dave

Dave

I hadn't even thought to check out Sally's, but I think I'll try out their Burtonsville shop tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any place in the area that carries Col. Conk soaps? (I'm in Mont. Co., so I'd prefer a northern skewed location, but if I have no options, I'll drive further.)

What brands of creams, soaps, AS does Rodman's carry? Holy crap I thought the only thing shaking in DC was AoS...this could pick up me spirits!

Where did this thread come from?

To be sure, the Grooming Lounge does offer wet shaving products, but not anything you can't get at a million places online. Their DEs, last I checked, are also overpriced, but so are AoS's, so no local DE buying for District of Columbians.

Other obvious places that are good for wet shaving products:

Harris Teeter sells Tweezerman brushes, and Kiss My Face products. At least the Barrack's Row one did a few months ago. The HT in Pentagon City is pretty good, but I've never checked out their shaving gear.

There's a Body Shop and L'occitane in Georgetown and Union Station for DC, and those stores plus Bath and Body Works are in Pentagon City and Tysons.

I might have to do a field trip to rodman's sometime in the near future.

Jeez, I totally forgot Union Station! There's an AOS there too!

BTW, on the Grooming Lounge, yes their prices are a bit higher than what you can find online, but in my experience, unless you are ordering a large order, generally if you simply want one item, the difference in price vs the Grooming Lounge and online + SHIPPING will be either equal or not enough to make it worth buying online.

But of course, you are encouraged to actually COMPARE prices (including shipping) to get the best deal (and to make the best cost/benefit analysis). Some people, like me, prize immediacy of use (if I buy it locally, I can use it NOW!:w00t:) vs. having to wait because it's being shipped from Manitoba. Also, buying locally supports local businesses, which encourages MORE local businesses. Of course a niche activity like wet shaving will have a much lower market saturation boundary than say, sports gear.

This is a great thread and will save me a huge amount of time dragging through the local grid lock trying to find stuff!

I hadn't thought about checking out Rodmans for shave stuff. I haven't been in there in a while, so this will be a great excuse to stop in.

Top Bottom