What's new

Rust on the Blade?

:eek: I went to use my 7 AM razor (they came with my new DE) for the 3rd and final time when I noticed that the edge of the blade was starting to rust. I immediately threw the blade out and put in a fresh one.

Clearly this is something that I did wrong, I'm wondering if that "something" is using really cheap (crappy?) blades that came with razor or if it is something different that could have contributed to this?

-m

it is a good idea to put away your razor completely dry. Not letting it air dry but actually taking it apart and drying all the pieces with a towel including the blade. Other factors that contribute to a rusty blade; humidity, uncoated blade.
good luck,

Most places I've read consider towel drying a blade to be a very bad idea (and a way to mess up the edge). Some people keep a container of rubbing alcohol to dip the razor in after the final rinse. The alcohol evaporates quickly afterward.

Could it be carbon steel? Stainless usually doesn't rust that fast.

What kind of blade? I'm actually looking to get some carbon steels.

Could it be carbon steel? Stainless usually doesn't rust that fast.

What kind of blade? I'm actually looking to get some carbon steels.

They do take a better edge than stainless. If you can find a way to prevent rusting, they should be quite nice.

They seem to be softer, or more flexible, or I don't know what. Haven't used one in over a decade, but remember when they stopped selling them and I just didn't like the stainless ones as much.

I'd take the blade out, fold a paper towel over them to pat dry, and let them sit outside the razor. They still didn't last very long. They probably need oiling, but it's not worth it to me. With stainless bladed, I just rinse and let them sit inside the razor wet and all.

Top Bottom