What's new

Atinque store find Dubl Duck Satinedge. Can I shave with this (beginner)

I was in an antique store earlier today and picked up this razor for $15. It is the first straight razor I've bought, and I've never used one on myself. One side of the blade says "Bresduck / Dubl Duck / Solingen Germany" and the other says "Dubl Duck / Satinedge." Not sure what the handle is made out of, maybe celluloid? It is in pretty good shape, one small notch near the blade end and some green oxidation (or corrosion? Idk) around the rivets, and the blade looks very good, some small discoloration but no rust and is very sharp. Can anyone tell me anything about this particular razor? It came with a box (pictured) but I doubt it's the original since the names don't match. Can I shave with this after washing it and maybe running it over a wet stone? I'm a complete beginner so please excuse any faux pas in my questions.

Attachments

• razor 1.jpg
    razor 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • razor 2.jpg
    razor 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • razor 3.jpg
    razor 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87

Legion

Staff member
Yeah you can use it. DD are good razors. That one has been rescaled at some point, but that is OK.

As the others have said, if this is your first straight you will be wanting to send it to someone with razor honing experience for its initial edge.

“Can I shave with this after washing it and maybe running it over a wet stone? I'm a complete beginner so please excuse any faux pas in my questions.”

Yup, very well once the razor has been thoroughly. Double Ducks are excellent razors, very well ground, will take a great edge and shave well.

It has been rescaled in non-Duck Celluloid scales, (pins and collars do not match) Duck scales were notorious for off gassing, so not surprising it was re-scaled.

It has very little spine wear and should clean up nicely.

Because of its potential, and the fact that you got a smoking deal, you may not want to learn how to hone on this razor. Buy another beater if you plan to learn how to hone a razor.

Or send it out for cleanup and honing, then learn to shave with it. You will need a good, new strop and earn to strop to maintain it. (Tony Miller Heirloom Razor Strops).

You also got a nice Wolstenholme coffin razor box in the deal.

Your razor looks fine to me. It's very unlikely to be shave ready - you just never know. I have bought 100+ year old razors that were not listed as shave ready and yet they were.

Will it pass the HHT?

Might be a good idea to do some research about shaving with straight razors. There are plenty of threads for beginners on B&B. Get involved in some discussions and learn a good bit before attempting to shave with that blade.

Probably won't shave. Likely will give you cuts and razor burn. Causing you to buy more razors, more stones, strops, shave cream, and aftershaves. It will become a real burden. Best to just go ahead and give it to me. I will take the burden for you.

Great deal! Like many have said best not to learn to hone on this one. If you send it out, you will know what a good edge should feel like. This way you will have something to compare your honing to.

Get a good strop canvas and leather, some diamond .5 micron spray. You should be able to keep the edge fresh for some time. While you work on your honing or purchase honing equipment.

Enjoy your journey into the rabbit hole!

I ran across a Satin Edge “Baby” with the original scales last weekend. The scales had gassed off so bad the blade was toast. I’m sure you don’t have the original scales on your blade. DD made good razors, imo. Sharpen it up and give it a go.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I'll head back to that shop I where I got this one because they had a lot of other old razors for cheap to experiment with. I did not see anyone near where I am that does honing (Central PA), but is this something I could (on a different blade) try to learn or is it best to send it out somewhere? Any suggestions for "mail-in" services?

Top Bottom