What's new

I tried to make it through Thanksgiving week w/o a shaving purchase.....

....but Jake Yates had other ideas, and apparently I missed the sounds of diabolical laughter emanating from Waynesburg.
Appropriately enough I received my Winning v2 razor on Black Friday.

A few obsevations regarding differences with the v1 to start with:
  • It appears (I haven't measured) that the caps can be swapped back and forth between the 2 plate versions.
  • The v2 plate has the same handle mating restrictions as the 921, but for a different reason. The underside of the plate has an 8mm diameter countersink. This should add extra rigidity to the joint, making it more like a 2-piece razor if dropped.
  • Any handle that will fit the 921 will also fit the new Winning. This includes the 'Merica handle. If you add some 5mmID/8mmOD washers, you can fill in the countersink, and use any modern M5x0.8 handle.
  • The new handle is more grippable than the original.
On to the shave:

Razor: YPM Winning V2
Blade: Derby Premium
Brush: Simpson KH4
Soap : B&M Dickens Revisited
Result: BBS

I've seen some members her complain of the earlier Winning razors sticking rather than gliding. There was no such effect during this shave, but that doesn't mean much. I never had that problem with the WSC Winning either. For those who do, the scalloping on the cap should help.

Everything went smoothly, with the exception on one small weeper due to operator error.

Overall, I would say this is a worthy successor to the original.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello, thank you for sharing your insights! @lancre
I already have a Yates 921 with M and EH plates, but want to get the 'Merica razor and/or the Winning razor, too.

The thing is, both are reportedly much milder than the 921. The Merica is a bit more aggressive/efficient, afaik? Hrmpf, might end up with both at one point...^^

Hello, thank you for sharing your insights! @lancre
I already have a Yates 921 with M and EH plates, but want to get the 'Merica razor and/or the Winning razor, too.

The thing is, both are reportedly much milder than the 921. The Merica is a bit more aggressive/efficient, afaik? Hrmpf, might end up with both at one point...^^

I don't have the 921 EH plate, just the M an H plates. I find the Winning (either V1 or V2) to be just slightly milder than the 921M, and the 'Merica to fall in between. All three are very close to each other, and all three are quite efficient when you get the angle right, at least on my face and neck. If the 921EH is your favorite, then you might not be happy with your purchase.

No reason to spend like sailor or marine who has not been paid in months, and get shore leave.
Hey, I've been saving up my shore leave!!

Good job. Your restraint is admirable. But then again, you weren’t exactly tempted, as you said.

Well I get a bunch of emails weekly touting super sales, great prices, and other creative ad copy to catch a fish. Sometime you need taste into account what you have on hand, how long it will last, and if a sale or promotion is just smoke & mirror. Or a real big deal.

Every week Car Dealer advertises things like lowest price ever this weekend. Forgetting they said similar last weekend.

Some sales are pure baloney. I worked for awhile at the main distribution warehouse for a clothing/outdoor retailer. One year they stocked a LOT of shoes. More than they could sell. A team was put together to unbox, put new price tags on each pair and re-box them.

The new price tags were for HIGHER prices. This was in preparation for a later "sale" event in which the price would be lowered back to what the original price tags said. A bit of psychological chicanery.

I think as niche hobbyists, we are more immune to that sort of manipulation because we are constantly looking at our favorite vendor websites and keep each other informed of market trends, inventory, etc.

Top Bottom